Author Topic: Teamkill Penalties?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rannepear
Teamkill Penalties?
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:38:37 am »
I know plenty of people want to see something implemented to stop the rampant TKing in cRPG.

Is there anything currently being done to solve this?

What kind of penalties does the community think would be fair?

Personally, I think a well-balanced penalty would be that for every TK you commit, you miss out on a multiplier tick. And perhaps for TK's over 5/match, an XP/Gold negation would be in effect. What do you guys think?

Any other ideas?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
Re: Teamkill Penalties?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:47:20 am »
i thought the simplest method would be to implement reflective damage.

though that has some drawbacks as well like if someone was stupid enough to jump into your attack you could kill yourself lol

but then again that would be the same flaw to your system i would be furius if i lost a tick to a noob jumping inot my blade
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:48:24 am by Snoozer »
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:54:44 am »
Generally noobs are jumping into blades because 10 teammates will all race to kill 1 guy... And they end up hitting each other instead.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:23 am »
no

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:04:10 am »
Leave the Admins to do their jobs. Simple Game Mechanics can be exploited and do strange and undesirable things if used to grief.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:18:03 am »
+4
Leave the Admins to do their jobs. Simple Game Mechanics can be exploited and do strange and undesirable things if used to grief.

It's a matter of the difference between being a bad person and being a bad player. The admins have a responsibility to dissuade the bad people from ruining things for everybody, but bad players are currently ruining things in the name of their lack of intent and not being brought down for it.

Right now there's no reason not to swing at that downed horseman, teammates be damned. While you may argue that the effect upon your team is detrimental, there is no immediate and noticeable reason for that person to realize their need for improvement.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:49 am »
+1
Fuck, this tired old chestnut again.
No.
Drink a beer or something, suck it up and play.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:45:28 am »
Right now there's no reason not to swing at that downed horseman, teammates be damned. While you may argue that the effect upon your team is detrimental, there is no immediate and noticeable reason for that person to realize their need for improvement.

No immediate and noticeable reason /= No reason not to swing. 

Just because bad players are stupid doesn't mean the rules should be catered to them.  They'll be known and called out for their poor teamwork, and their multiplier will suffer due to their mistakes. 

It should be common sense that hitting and killing your teammates is a bad idea.  If you don't understand that you'll end up on the losing team more often, which is fine.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:01:38 am »
+1
Questioned since the dawn of times...

Honestly, just add a forgive/penalty system. Three penalties in a row and you're banned for 30 minutes. Something like that. (Sure... it could be "exploited," but hardly that well... Especially since high number of admins. A good demo will clear up many things)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »
+1
I remember I used to play a game with a forgive/punish system.

If you wronged your teammate (killed them, I believe), you had the option to forgive or punish them (by pressing corresponding buttons).

In this case, perhaps the forgive will act as if nothing happened, and punish will result in a skipped tick.

Edit; now that I think about it, perhaps it was BC2

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 05:35:19 pm »
+2
I have a good idea for TK penalty.  You get -1 kill on the scoreboard.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 05:55:42 pm »
+1
I have a good idea for TK penalty.  You get -1 kill on the scoreboard.

No one actually cares about the scoreboard.

At least, I don't. If I don't like a person on the other team enough, I have no problem railing through 3 of my guys to get to him. Ask any of the Chaos sometime xD

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:09:41 pm »
Punish/Forgive system along with autokick/ban scripts like Halflife has had in effect for over a decade.

Just an example, as admins could configure system to anything they'd like
3 unforgiven tk's within x timespan and you're booted
5 unforgiven and you're auto-temp banned for X hours

Autokick/ban script for instance immediately kicks someone that teamwounds near spawn within x seconds or autobans them for tk's.  No reason at all you should be attacking anywhere near spawn when the game begins.

I used to play on a Day of Defeat: Source realism server where most rifle shots would kill you in 1 shot.  These kind of measures helped let admins play the game instead of dealing with ADD kids shooting friendlies in spawn.  Griefers that threw a nade in spawn and wiped out their team would be autobanned instantly.  Admins could then later check logs and lengthen bans at their leisure instead of stopping what they're doing in the middle of game.

Punish/Forgive system works great with a close knit small community.  You realize when someone made an honest mistake/noob move or if they were being malicious/supremely negligent.  Sure griefers could walk into your path to get themselves killed but thats not nearly as bad as having them massacre their team in spawn.  System worked very well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:09:13 pm by Digglez »

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:42 pm »
hmm what digglez said is true

i too played that game they had a good system set up and the servers i played in the admins were legit and strict

but the ability of a griefer to kill an entire team is all but impossible seeing how they are usually not skilled and if they are they are veterans of mnb and they know what happens if they do ....and if they dont usually the team takes them down before the kill too many

(but in day of defeat he is not exaggerating one idiot could very well kill an entire team cus he was bored)

i would second those systems

and if im not mistaken daxxtaa and digglez with a couple other members have also vouched for the system on many threads relating to this topic
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Rannepear

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • 我叫阿杰
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:17 pm »
+1
About admins doing their "jobs":
The thing is you admins DON'T do your jobs..
First of all, an admin is going to kick someone who TK's unintentionally (despite how reckless they were being).
Secondly, there are hardly any admins on. I see you guys on in the middle of the day ( still not doing anything, even when I'm 'i-chatting' y'all). Y'all aren't on in the morning and you're not on during the nights, and if you are, you all are usually ignoring everything.
However, that's beside the point because this issue is not an issue of admining or lack thereof.

People that team kill are usually not doing it on purpose, and therefore admins are not going to kick someone for doing it. A simple measure to dissuade people from the current reckless play style of most of the NA c-rpg community is certainly not too much to ask. Also, it's not going to take away your "job", so you're still safe in your tower. Don't worry.