Author Topic: I'm really not for buffing horses even as cavalry, but... can we stop this?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
The "stopping horse with a pike then hitting it 20 times then stopping it again as it's taking off" technique is getting old.

Here's how it goes:
I get reared back when my horse hits a pike. Perfectly fine, obviously. Balanced. Gives enemies a chance to stop and kill a horse. Okay.

But then, I get stopped when I go half a mile an hour on takeoff again. Okay, this is getting annoying. Now I'm on the ground. 23k+ horse gone. On the ground with the pikeman, who has just pulled out his omgwtf2her and he starts stabbing the hell out of me while I'm laying there. Then I get up... sometimes. That is, if I'm not already dead. And then I get killed because I have 1 hp.

Now, this may seem like a rage post, and well, sort of. But it's true. In the recent patch (I guess that's when it started. Previously I've not noticed anything like this.), I've gotten reared back by almost every weapon, and I'm not even able to take off again due to being on the ground, or due to the enemy hitting my horse and rearing it again!

I really don't understand the mechanic of being able to rear up horses AGAIN, immediately after you reared them up the first time.

Again, I'm cav. I know that we don't need a buff. But the buffs to ANY form of pokey weapon are just ridiculous anymore.

PS: Rearing horses in mid-air. Wat?
PSS: Rearing horses by stabbing them in the ass. Wat?
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
+4
What about your horse ignoring a 2h fully stabbed into its body while the 2h gets lanced!!! after he has hit your horse....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:37:58 pm by Camaris »

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What about your horse ignoring a 2h fully stabbed into its body while the 2h gets lanced!!! after he has hit your horse....

Um. Last I experienced, 2hers can easily take down a cavalryman due to the "no-super crazy lances" lance radius. I'm not bothered by it, because it's more or less balanced. But come on. If you'd play cav for one gen, or on a STF alt, you'd see this problem with rearing horses.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
.. avoid pikers...

seriously, people who need a pike to go against cav.. scrubs! But they'll still kill you.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
+3
But when heavy horses bump and interrupt peoples block and swings while moving 0.5 mile an hour, now that's perfectly fine, right?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
I think we are talking about light horses, which should have a faster acceleration then the moneysink heavies.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
this rarely happens if you turn the opposite direction of the spear thats stabbing you, so its not that much of a problem.  whats much more of a problem is some naked peasant preventing your horse from turning by standing near the head and not knocking him on his ass and grinding him into paste.

its annoying when it happens though and would be nice if the speed to rear was raised some.  Would be great if horse had to be going half speed or above to be reared

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+2
Avoiding pikes is whatever. But most every spear can rear back a horse.

This isn't really an attempt to buff cav, but more so an attempt to stop the "I stabbed your horses ass, so he should stop permanently and allow me to kill you" thing.

this rarely happens if you turn the opposite direction of the spear thats stabbing you, so its not that much of a problem.  whats much more of a problem is some naked peasant preventing your horse from turning by standing near the head and not knocking him on his ass and grinding him into paste.

its annoying when it happens though and would be nice if the speed to rear was raised some.  Would be great if horse had to be going half speed or above to be reared

Actually no. This happens all the time, no matter where the pike hits you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:53:41 pm by Reinhardt »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
actually most polearms lost the horse rearing ability with the last patch

as 2h cav  this normally is only a problem for me if they are able to get round the front or back of my horse as at the sides they are easy hits and most wont bother blocking.
Turtles

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+2
actually most polearms lost the horse rearing ability with the last patch

as 2h cav  this normally is only a problem for me if they are able to get round the front or back of my horse as at the sides they are easy hits and most wont bother blocking.

I'm heavy lance cav. This happens way too often really. Maybe it was because the enemy team was composed of 90% pikes and spears, but it was still annoying getting reared back immediately after trying to move again, then getting spammed by the enemies on the ground.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+2
Actually no. This happens all the time, no matter where the pike hits you.

Nope, completely incorrect.

1) your horse has to be hit in the chest/front region
2) you must be moving toward the direction of the spear is hitting horse

Pikemen are able to pike wiggle and hit your horse in the front if you only turn 90 degrees away from the initial rearing.  If you turn 270 degrees or more before you ride away, this rarely ever happens. 

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Nope, completely incorrect.

1) your horse has to be hit in the chest/front region
2) you must be moving toward the direction of the spear is hitting horse

Pikemen are able to pike wiggle and hit your horse in the front if you only turn 90 degrees away from the initial rearing.  If you turn 270 degrees or more before you ride away, this rarely ever happens.

Alright. I'll start turning around when I get stabbed. Hopefully that will stop this madness as you say. I just found it strange because this hadn't happened before. I just recently noticed getting reared at going very low speed.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
+1
I'm heavy lance cav. This happens way too often really. Maybe it was because the enemy team was composed of 90% pikes and spears, but it was still annoying getting reared back immediately after trying to move again, then getting spammed by the enemies on the ground.

You know what's also really annoying? Slashing a guys horse with full force using a poleaxe/greatsword and then getting couched by the rider.

If you allow yourself to get stuck with a big, slow, heavy horse (that has the ability to bump at a snail's pace) then your chance of survival should be pretty low.

And also, what Digglez said: Turn the horse to face away and you'll experience this less.

Maybe there should be some way of throwing yourself off the horse tho, the current animation, although funny, doesn't make much sense and I think that riders should have a better chance of dismounting. But then also I think it's weird that the heavier horses can bump at such low speeds... Oh well, maybe the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:07:36 pm by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Block with shield while facing the pikeman, about half the time they're thrust into shield (weapon stun themselves) and you'll get away without taking a 2nd hit

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
+2
FYI

going really slow on a horse makes it unrearable. Some horsemen, heavy ones usually know how to exploit this. If you creep up on a piker, or if you do not immediately accelerate over a certain speed, your horse will not be reared..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.