Author Topic: Laissez faire  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Laissez faire
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:32:05 pm »
+1
I have not tried out 'the patch' and only looked at character sheet to view the screwing over. I can not even say I am surprised by the whine threads, because it is likely I would agree with them.

Perhaps something 'new' needed to be done.

Perhaps holding power of the game itself is low, regardless of the mod. The scenario should have a lasting appeal, but the game engine is somewhat stale. Sure, I can not think of any other game that allows you to steal an opponent's horse and run him over with it.

What was fun though....
DEFEATING A NEMESIS
Finally killing Crymoar, or Goretooth, or a host of other worthies. Ninjering some annoying archer was always good, excellent being ninjering a whole squad of archers.

REVENGE
Revenge is good. It did not take long for some random asshole to try and grief you. Boredom? Jealousy, perhaps some griefer took offense at someone else's praise of your kill, whatever, eventually someone would simply grief you. And this is where the revenge part comes in - tk'ing a griefer is satisfying. Of course, at the time, tempers would flare due to the nature of xp and gold earning at the time, and the focus of some end build or level - not to mention the high possibility that viewing some leech contributing nothing to the team effort might at some point cause a player to snap.
I do occasionaly scan the forums for amusement at unban requests, sometimes I sympathize with the 'offender', and I do understand the pita that is 'being admin'.

So even though I do not play or admin lately, I would propose a more relaxed application of administrative power. Got a problem with another player? Kill the bastard, get it out of your system, defend yourself - just don't whine to the admin everytime some asshole does something.. assholish. This may not please some, especially those who want a nice relaxing slaughter, but it is a combat game - expect tempers to flare once in a while, but ultimately, who gives a shit? Maybe it would work, just a thought.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Laissez faire
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
+1
So when someone is TKing me every round I should waste my time chasing him around the map? Instead of actually playing the game we will end up chasing griefers.

Spare us and go back to writing loving letters to Josef Fritzl.

ps: Laissez faire is a wrong term you used, the proper one is "anarchy".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:49:27 pm by Tai Feng »
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:46:59 pm »
+1
I just read the first line of the OP and couldn't force myself to read the rest. I'm giving you +1 for epic trolling though.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:58 pm »
+1
So when someone is TKing me every round I should waste my time chasing him around the map? Instead of actually playing the game we will end up chasing griefers.

Spare us and go back to writing loving letters to Josef Fritzl.

ps: Laissez faire is a wrong term you used, the proper one is "anarchy".

Although you are not surprising me, I'm totally seconding you on this for once, Tai Feng  :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:45:55 pm by Kafein »

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:58:27 pm »
+1
It's already this way, unless the tking gets really annoying admins won't just ban you for a teamhit. You need to take it to the forums with proof. There's even people playing policemen so if you accidetally tk someone, then his mate attacks you (for no reason, there's a clan doing that and they should be banned for this behaviour) and you defend yourself, he thinks "damn a tker i have to kill him!" attacks you and then dies as well (happened one time, now i pay extra attention to those players and of course should they be attacked by 10 enemies don't expect me to help them). Then whole clans will hate me because they think i randomly tked 3 people while if i took a video i would get all 3 banned because they attacked me lol

So yeah, this stuff still happens. It is annoying and i agree with Tai Feng on that, i will take screens or videos for the future episodes and not hit back, but let the admins do their job. It tends to make teams lose rounds, and with this xp system you don't want to lose people in your team for stupid tking.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:23:48 am »
+1
An admin can't see everything and be everywhere. What he sees, he moderates. Outside of this field of vision... well...

Offline serpus

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:52:20 am »
+1
the problem stems from too many friends, then friends of friends being given admin power early in the game's age.  This led to a lot of new players simply being driven off due to the many flagrant violation of admin power.

Then not long ago we went through a phase were the admins just changed names.

Then we saw a purging of the completely shit admins, but there are still many left behind.

Now new admins are stepping up and enforcing these same laissez faire rules that suits each admin's particular taste in the game.

and ptx completely misses the point... which is that there are too many admins.

Why does every action, chat comment, or gear choice have to be scrutinized by admins?

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:09:28 am »
+1
becuz they will feel unneeded if they don't

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:15:40 am »
+1
I don't recognize any of the people who replied. I do recognize a failure to grasp the concept.

Perhaps a rephrasing:

Why do you need some admin to hold your hand everytime someone fucks you over in a video game?
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:19:32 am »
+1
I have not tried out 'the patch' and only looked at character sheet to view the screwing over. I can not even say I am surprised by the whine threads, because it is likely I would agree with them.

Perhaps something 'new' needed to be done.

Ahem. Banner balance= best thing the patch did. I believe Strategus will take care of the rest, in terms of holding power.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:38:02 am »
+1
Zisa where ya been!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:13:53 am »
+1
Welcome back, Zisa :d

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 08:47:01 am »
+1
I don't recognize any of the people who replied. I do recognize a failure to grasp the concept.

Perhaps a rephrasing:

Why do you need some admin to hold your hand everytime someone fucks you over in a video game?

Because revenge tk'ing is against the rules and will just likely get you banned by an admin anyway.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 08:57:07 am »
+1
Because revenge tk'ing is against the rules and will just likely get you banned by an admin anyway.

It is also annoying and tends to make you lose rounds, so you lose xp and gold in case of stupid tking. The players who like to play policemen make it even worse. I agree with the OP that the admins could ignore some isolated episode if it ends at that, but they should take action if it goes on for more than 1 round.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:02 pm »
+1
Is this a whine about the patch or Admins?

If it is about the patch, quit whining and play. Its better.

If it is about Admins, quit whining and play. Its better. Its best when people just shut up and play though and stop worrying about their buddy who got kicked because he #1 - couldn't shut up and #2 - decided that telling an Admin to fuck off was the best way to handle the situation.

Some of the problems people create themselves. When a griefer is team wounding, your team is aware of it. There have been a few times in team chat where it is discussed, we spawn in, the team wounder is killed and in chat the witnessess proclaim that it was a just and fair killing of a team wounder, and on we go. Nobody gets kicked and the TK'er gets his desserts. However, if you get smacked and just go off and TK somebody before your team is aware of the problem, that's your fault and you just let the griefer win.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login