Author Topic: Stuttering? Freezes?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Stuttering? Freezes?
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:41:40 pm »
Well, someone steal this, make a sticky, whatever.

Some performance tips gleaned from Taleworlds forums:

Turn details down.

So, you got details low, you do not want to go to DX7, but several unoptimized maps seem like a slide show.

Config:
framerate: 60 (yes, more then that is wasteful).
The actual tip was to cap FPS to refresh rate of monitor.

vsynch: on (this seems to eliminate the horizontal scrolling smudge on my LCD monitor)

Other suggestions:
turn off sound variation ( did not seem to do much for me)

turn on single threading ( did not bother)
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Stuttering? Freezes?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »
I'd turn vsync off immediately. The game is doing this horribly, and will mess up your melee attack timing.

If you want, force vsync from your VGA control panel, try that out. But the game setting? Forget about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »
vsync is like a governor for your video card, it will prevent poorly coded games from overheating or damaging your video card.  Sure turning it off will often give you a few extra FPS, but not worth it in the long run.

http://www.dailytech.com/Hot+Starcraft+II+is+Frying+Graphics+Cards+Blizzard+Issues+Temporary+Fix/article19224.htm

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »
If your graphics card and CPU are quite old, maybe 70-80 fps cap is good enough, although more is better. After trying most graphic settings in this game, I can tell texture quality under 50% won't make it smoother, but the shader is important (go for low or medium), and, especially, turn off HDR. You can lower the details of trees and grass, and also you could forget about shadows if that helps your framerate. Fast water reflections makes the water look a little worse, but it's better for fps, and never use anisotropic filtering.

Many games, like RTS or RPG, can be run perfectly with VSync on, but some others, like FPS or this game, require a higher framerate in order to play better, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:24:05 pm by Mikelon »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »
this frame rate thing - let me tell you something..

film is 24 fps
digitial video 30 fps
some is 60 fps.

a Lot of cartoons where done on 2's - essentially 12 fps.

I would bet your left nut the animations in game were not done over 60 fps, and probably done at 30, so setting your framerate to 120 is useful if you like bragging about your pc while needlessly taxing your video card - Woo Hoo you go girl!

If however, you have stuttering on some maps and want to remove it, this might help you and even let you turn some of the details up.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 10:59:15 pm »
I had low fps with alot of buildings in the map. What solved it was setting shadows to low.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:41:46 am »
vsync is like a governor for your video card, it will prevent poorly coded games from overheating or damaging your video card.  Sure turning it off will often give you a few extra FPS, but not worth it in the long run.

http://www.dailytech.com/Hot+Starcraft+II+is+Frying+Graphics+Cards+Blizzard+Issues+Temporary+Fix/article19224.htm

VSync is nothing of the kind. All it does is try to synch your screen refresh rate and your FPS to avoid screen tearing: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »
Geez, some bad misinformation in this thread.

Turning off vsync will not overheat your videocard. What bullcrap.

Also, there is a notable difference between a game capped at 60 fps and a game capped at 120 fps, if the system is good enough to run at 120 fps.

You will see less input delay, even though your monitor can 'only' display 60 frames per second. If you want to read more about this, take a look at this article on anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/
Or read a bit of wikipedia and look at the references. Plenty of info there.

"A real 120Hz refresh rate can significantly benefit input lag especially in twitch shooters. While that impact would be less in games where the framerate can't keep up, the hail of additional frames that can be incurred between the computer and the monitor will still be significantly impacted"

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:35:03 am »
Geez, some bad misinformation in this thread.

Turning off vsync will not overheat your videocard. What bullcrap.

Also, there is a notable difference between a game capped at 60 fps and a game capped at 120 fps, if the system is good enough to run at 120 fps.

You will see less input delay, even though your monitor can 'only' display 60 frames per second. If you want to read more about this, take a look at this article on anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/
Or read a bit of wikipedia and look at the references. Plenty of info there.

"A real 120Hz refresh rate can significantly benefit input lag especially in twitch shooters. While that impact would be less in games where the framerate can't keep up, the hail of additional frames that can be incurred between the computer and the monitor will still be significantly impacted"

Well, let's review then.
Changing framerate to 60 eliminated stuttering in problem maps - for me, check.
vsynch on to eliminate tearing - for me, check.

"Monitors with a game mode or true 120Hz monitors should definitely add less input lag than monitors that require this sort of processing."

Monitors being the operative word. If I missed something in that article that mentioned a 60Hz monitor running at 120 Hz being optimum then my bad, but the indication I read in that article was running FPS over refresh rate was actually adding to input lag, round about page 5. It tempts me to get my old CRT at 85Hz, but that may have allready burned my retinas :P
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:11 am »
turn off sound variation ( did not seem to do much for me)
I would bet your left nut the animations in game were not done over 60 fps, and probably done at 30
oh my  :shock:
Turn off sounds at all. 10 fps is fine  :?

This. But if u are noob without basic fighting skills even 30fps is fine.

Offline Mihilist

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HeyZeus, Steppe, Just1Hand
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:22 pm »
this frame rate thing - let me tell you something..

film is 24 fps
digitial video 30 fps
some is 60 fps.

"We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 fps, rather than the usual 24 fps (films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920's). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or 'strobe.'"
-Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

I'll always take more FPS just like I'll always take more DPI.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »
Do you guys have any performance tips?

Do you see a sticky?

I did not even see a sticky on Takleworlds, and went a manually searching for fixes to stuttering in certain maps.

Do you not get that once every other day at the least I hear 'fucking game freezing' in game... and I can tell you it is probably because of video settings.

I do not recall titling the thread 'Let's have a pointless debate' and inviting epeens to post how they run the game, as if anyone gives a shit, nor did I solicit uninformed opinions from you unwashed gits about things you do not understand and that have little to do with an actual problem people have in game.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »
bump because some are asking about freezes.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.