Author Topic: Earlier attacks question  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Earlier attacks question
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:52 pm »
If attacks are activated earlier now, is this causing a lot of 'failed blocks' (like packet loss can do)?
Is it in effect bypassing the 50 ms latency compensation (if it is still there)?

not saying it's a bad thing.. break up the turn based paradigm and all...
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: Earlier attacks question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »
I think you're misunderstanding things a bit.

Looks like you're referring to attacks being 'activated' earlier in the swing animation?
This means that, when you swing from left to right for example, your swing activates when your blade is to your right shortly after the start of the animation starts. It means you can't swing through walls, the floor or teammates anymore. Nothing else.

Has absolutely nothing to do with ping, latency or packet loss.

Also, what "50 ms latency compensation" are you talking about?

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »
Not misunderstanding.

Perhaps you could consider my question - If they attacks are activated earlier does it not stand to reason that there becomes less time to block - if you are a coder, how can you not understand this?

If you do not know what I am talking about lag compensation, don't worry, someone else will.

Don't say 'Nothing Else' at me.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »
But your awnser indicates that you are misunderstanding the change to the swing animations...
I do know what you are talking about when you say lag compensation. What i'm trying to convey to you is that it has nothing to do with lag, lag compensation or packet loss whatsoever.

You could try to be more polite and less abrasive, maybe then others will take the time to enlighten you. Perhaps if half a dozen people tell you the same thing in different ways, you will take the time to really read and understand what they are saying.

Just to be sure, i'll retry once more in different wording:

The recent change to the way the swing animations work has been this: swings 'activate' earlier in the animation. Previously, swings only became 'active' halfway through the swing animations. So the first part of the animation showed your sword swinging, but you can't hit anything yet in that part of the swing animation because it was only activated later on in the animation. Now, after the change, the swings are activated earlier during the animation and so it's possible to connect earlier. This leads to the effect that swings 'get caught' on objects more than before the change. You cannot swing through objects anymore, because the swing animation is activated early in the animation, making swings register contact with objects at the start of the swing. Before the change, you could swing (or stab) 'through' walls, floor and teammates if the collision between the swing and the object was only in the first part of the animation.

Imagine standing next to a wall. The wall is on your right. Before the change, with a one hander weapon, you could do a right-to-left swing without hitting the wall. After the change, you cannot do a right-to-left swing with that wall on your right.
That's my best attempt at explaining it. I hope you get it now.

The swing tweak has nothing to do with packet loss or lag compensation. Those things are not infuenced or touched by the change.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:19:11 pm »
+1
Attacks activate earlier against allies and objects. Regular combat (i.e. vs enemies) is unchanged (it never had any activation delays to start with).

Offline Dioxete

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Den Bitre
  • Game nicks: Date
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »
+1
today I'm having some issues with the blocking stuff, plenty times i die with delay, and some weird things are going on, I block correctly and the sound says so, but then i've been hitted with delay. It's rly annoying.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
+1
Attacks activate earlier against allies and objects. Regular combat (i.e. vs enemies) is unchanged (it never had any activation delays to start with).

Sorry I must sound rather blunt, but it do feel like attacks can connect into enemies earlier than before. This is especially noticeable with long spears "insta-hitting" at the very beginning of the animation, it also (although more rarely) happens with 1h stabs. It is quite similar to the 2h thrust "bug" : at the end of the animation, the weapon has 0 momentum yet inflicts full damage.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:08 pm »
+1
Sorry I must sound rather blunt, but it do feel like attacks can connect into enemies earlier than before.

Which makes no sense whatsoever, because attacks activate right after being started, so there is no "before", unless you are saying that your attacks can connect before you attack.
If you mean that attacks can damage earlier, then that's entirely your impression because nothing was changed there (apart from the armor soak/reduce values months ago).

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:29:17 pm »

really? awesome.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:27:47 pm »
That is the answer I wanted.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:42 pm »
But your awnser indicates that you are misunderstanding the change to the swing animations...
I do know what you are talking about when you say lag compensation. What i'm trying to convey to you is that it has nothing to do with lag, lag compensation or packet loss whatsoever.

You could try to be more polite and less abrasive, maybe then others will take the time to enlighten you. Perhaps if half a dozen people tell you the same thing in different ways, you will take the time to really read and understand what they are saying.

Just to be sure, i'll retry once more in different wording:

The recent change to the way the swing animations work has been this: swings 'activate' earlier in the animation. Previously, swings only became 'active' halfway through the swing animations. So the first part of the animation showed your sword swinging, but you can't hit anything yet in that part of the swing animation because it was only activated later on in the animation. Now, after the change, the swings are activated earlier during the animation and so it's possible to connect earlier. This leads to the effect that swings 'get caught' on objects more than before the change. You cannot swing through objects anymore, because the swing animation is activated early in the animation, making swings register contact with objects at the start of the swing. Before the change, you could swing (or stab) 'through' walls, floor and teammates if the collision between the swing and the object was only in the first part of the animation.

Imagine standing next to a wall. The wall is on your right. Before the change, with a one hander weapon, you could do a right-to-left swing without hitting the wall. After the change, you cannot do a right-to-left swing with that wall on your right.
That's my best attempt at explaining it. I hope you get it now.

The swing tweak has nothing to do with packet loss or lag compensation. Those things are not infuenced or touched by the change.
I mentioned packet loss because that will occasionally look like a failed block that should have been.
Since I see the same type of behaviour in game, both playing and in spec that was my question. If there is no possibility of this, then fine. Question answered.

If you want to bring up the punitive new friendly/object collision, that was not the original question and if you do not know by now, it sucks. If you feel the need to again post that fucking bit about the wall then you will never figure out why I am abrasive. Of course I understand the tendency to hold onto bad ideas like they were gold because of personal investment.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »
today I'm having some issues with the blocking stuff, plenty times i die with delay, and some weird things are going on, I block correctly and the sound says so, but then i've been hitted with delay. It's rly annoying.

Ive had that and perhaps even worse in a sense, ive blocked hits that I completely stuffed up on when blocking.

For example, the other day I did a left block with a stick against an overhead and without correcting my balls up, the block changed instantly without my input to an up block and stopped the attack.

Anyone know the reason for that?

Ive also started asking people, when I get a so called 'failed block' or I kill people when it looked like I missed completely, what they are seeing on their screen, the answers have been pretty surprising if im honest.

A lot of people have told me something completely different to what im seeing. Problem is that with most of my builds im going to be blocking more than the builds I normally fight, for example my melee char to go alongside pebble pusher is a stick fighter.

Of course with a stick, due to range and occasionally block stun, if im fighting some polearm/2 handed tin can player, of course im going to have to block more and get more hits in, but the point is ive often heard people complain in game about getting hit through a block, (which even ive done when suitably annoyed), only to recieve scathing replies along the lines of: "its all player error, no such thing".

But if you dont have to block as much and have decent armour to take any hits you may miss, or the game makes you miss, you arent as sensitive to these things and perhaps wouldnt notice them as much.

However the last thing I want to do is turn this into an excuse for those who are just generally bad, I only get grumpy because I like to make my own mistakes, not have the game make them for me and generally im only reporting what I see on my screen.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:08:11 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 10:03:32 pm »
Got to be some netcode-server side bullshit, I had this block saving thing too.

Dunno what's causing it really.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »
Ive had that and perhaps even worse in a sense, ive blocked hits that I completely stuffed up on when blocking.

For example, the other day I did a left block with a stick against an overhead and without correcting my balls up, the block changed instantly without my input to an up block and stopped the attack.

Anyone know the reason for that?

Ive also started asking people, when I get a so called 'failed block' or I kill people when it looked like I missed completely, what they are seeing on their screen, the answers have been pretty surprising if im honest.

A lot of people have told me something completely different to what im seeing.
Luck of the Gods, emerging psi powers, etc...
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »
Also known in other circles as autoblock.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.