Author Topic: [Newb] Starter build/gear  (Read 564 times)

Offline Nonary

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
[Newb] Starter build/gear
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:37:06 pm »
Hello!

I recently started playing cRPG, and right now I've already respecced several times, trying to figure out what I want to do. So far I've only tried archer-hybrids (1h/shield, 2h, 1h/noshield) based on builds that I found on these forums, but I'm still in doubt of what I can and can't do, in terms of gear and build.

I've (sort of) given up on the idea of bringing a bow everywhere, and am now trying to think of a shield-build. A Cour Bouilli Over Mail with a Barbutte is my starting items that I figured would work, but I'm pretty clueless on how much I can get before upkeep becomes a problem (I read somewhere on these forums that 46k+ is unrealistic, and that I should try to keep it under 40k total). I'm also pretty much clueless on what weapons to get, and whether to do a spear or a 1h shield-build.

I've already looked through these forums for the past few days, but I figured I'd try my luck with a personal thread. So here I am, asking for some pointers for a decent shield build that isn't too team reliant (I play very casually) and fun to play. :)

Thank you in advance,
Nonary

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Re: [Newb] Starter build/gear
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:34:36 pm »
New players:
Use cheap equipment with your main character. This will save you a lot of money that you will be happy to have later on.

All players:
Do not retire your main character. If you want variation you can get it by picking a new build after retirement (or use alt characters, which I suggest you don't respec either).

XP generation bonus:
Remember that you get 30xp more per x1 tick after every retirement. At gen 11 that is 1300xp at x1 and 6500xp at x5.

Respecing = loss of XP and Gold:
A reirement is worth 450.000 gold (if you sell your heirloom point) so you don't just lose XP by respecing, you lose gold inderectly.
Respeccing at 4.365.000 XP (half way to level 31) will cost you 112.500 gold.

Agility > Strength:
Personally I find it more fun to play with a fast character than a slow one.
That way you can choose your fights. Don't want to fight? Run away. Someone doesn't want to fight you? Catch him up.
Walk backwards while swinging your weapon at 1 guy at a time instead of getting raped by 3 guys at the same time.
Spam the opponent instead of getting spammed...
But remember, with low PS you should use piercing and/or blunt damage weapons.

You will also earn more money with the high agility build as you will use lighter armour.
Using heavy armour on a high agility build without IF is really not worth it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:37:33 pm by Riddaren »

Offline Nonary

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: [Newb] Starter build/gear
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »
+1
That's some pretty helpful information, especially regarding retirement - I never knew! I've respecced so much already, just trying to find a playstyle I liked. I feel poor now...
I like to be a more agile-ish player, so I'd agree with you on the last part. Still, I'm very casual, and retirement and nit-picky stuff isn't a huge concern for me, not yet at least. Thanks for the great info :)