Author Topic: [Mechanic] Hunting/Light Crossbow  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
[Mechanic] Hunting/Light Crossbow
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:25 am »
+6
I've always been curious as to why Hunting and Light crossbow could be reloaded while on Horse back, and yet, on foot, you have to reload like all of the other (heavier) crossbows. I propose that both of  lighter crossbows also have the ability to be reloaded on foot while moving. I know that when you're mounted on a giant grunting beast, you're instantly stronger, but Come on...  Thoughts?

-Zylo

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: [Mechanic] Hunting/Light Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:28:29 am »
Good idea.  It makes a lot of sense.  The one requirement I'd place on it, though, is that it would significantly affect reload speed.  Of course this would, in turn, be tempered by high crossbow wpf.  Just so long as it doesn't become the standard to have two players dueling, as the last players in the round, by running side to side while reloading their light crossbows.

Realism ftw
cRPG Counter-Strike ftl

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:08 am »
I think it should take the same amount of time to reload while moving as it does on a horse. And if possible, if you stay still it should reload faster like it does now.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:51:01 am »
Totally fine with this, if it's also a movement penalty. A bit more than what archers get when they are aiming/drawing.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:07:39 am »
Good idea.  It makes a lot of sense.  The one requirement I'd place on it, though, is that it would significantly affect reload speed.
Actually, I think it'd make more sense to slow walking speed of the player, akin to blocking with a shield.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:06 am »
I agree on some sort of penalty speed wise, considering that Archers take a move speed penalty while drawing. As we all know, this game is all about BALANCE, right? :rolleyes: But in all seriousness, Speed penalty, and just to make sure there isn't a bunch of run and gunning, a slight delay before the accuracy goes to max, and of course, to stay max, the crossbower has to stand still. Veeeery interesting.... More thoughts, I say!

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:43 am »
+1
IMO Instead of slowing reload it should work like WFaS and you should walk slower.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »
+1
I predict swarms of 7str/39agi  runners and big nerf to xbows in the end.

Therefore +1.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »

eddddiiiittttt

not something I'd enjoy as I normally play melee-oriented characters.
penalty on movement speed and reload speed whilst moving and reloading would make sense.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:07:36 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:08 pm »
while we're at it, add a 5% chance to drop your bolt or go off halfcocked and shoot yourself!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:45 pm »
+1
Um... why are we then giving crossbows the same ability as bows? Keep the concepts separate, and don't mix game mechanics.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:16 am »
it's giving the two "weakest" crossbows an ability they already posses on Horse back. It doesn't make sense to me why characters are able to ride horses, and in turn, it allows them to summon the strength to pull the loading mechanism back, but on foot, they're weak little peasants.

In
I predict swarms of 7str/39agi  runners and big nerf to xbows in the end.

I did a build very similar to that when I had a MW light Xbow, and while it was a freaking BLAST, I was able to run away from conflicts fast enough, and reload quickly enough that reloading on the run wouldn't have made a difference IN THOSE SITUATIONS. The fact of the matter is that the Only person I've really seen Light Xbow kiting effectively done on Foot is by whoever the hell Chinaserf...2?.. is. But he was sporting MW bolts as well as a MW Light Xbow. Besides, how is it different from rolling a 9-27 or 9-30 Nomad (or lower) Bowman? These days, as long as your sporting Bodkins, you'll do SOMETHING to enemies, and your rate of fire is GREATLY improved over the light/hunting crossbow. Also, what I was getting at is that while reloading on the move on foot, your movement speed is reduced to something akin to 2 Athletics wearing all black armor, carrying a couple ladders in your hands. Not quite gamechangingly quick, but still, you're NOT STANDING STILL.

while we're at it, add a 5% chance to drop your bolt or go off halfcocked and shoot yourself!

While that may very well be sarcasm, I'd totally go for this if people had a chance to drop their melee weapons after Blocking a heavier weapon, or after being the victim of a Reposte, as well as Crossbows locking up sometimes (akin to attempting to fire, and getting bumped, and having the crossbow completely worthless for the rest of the round), as well as a chance for archers to misfire/drop arrows. I'm all for giving people more reasons to whine :P

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »
I did a build very similar to that when I had a MW light Xbow, and while it was a freaking BLAST, I was able to run away from conflicts fast enough, and reload quickly enough that reloading on the run wouldn't have made a difference IN THOSE SITUATIONS. The fact of the matter is that the Only person I've really seen Light Xbow kiting effectively done on Foot is by whoever the hell Chinaserf...2?.. is. But he was sporting MW bolts as well as a MW Light Xbow. Besides, how is it different from rolling a 9-27 or 9-30 Nomad (or lower) Bowman? These days, as long as your sporting Bodkins, you'll do SOMETHING to enemies, and your rate of fire is GREATLY improved over the light/hunting crossbow. Also, what I was getting at is that while reloading on the move on foot, your movement speed is reduced to something akin to 2 Athletics wearing all black armor, carrying a couple ladders in your hands. Not quite gamechangingly quick, but still, you're NOT STANDING STILL.

But now you suggesting that backpedalling and shooting at same time is good. Crossbow now is easiest ranged class - you wanna another crazy bonus?

Besides, how is it different from rolling a 9-27 or 9-30 Nomad (or lower) Bowman?

Yes. I think that 57 pierce damage from mw light crossbow ant bolts is much better than 27 pierce damage from mw Nomad bow and Bodkins. Also - you cant backpedalling and shoot with any bow.

it's giving the two "weakest" crossbows an ability they already posses on Horse back. It doesn't make sense to me why characters are able to ride horses, and in turn, it allows them to summon the strength to pull the loading mechanism back, but on foot, they're weak little peasants.

At first - your weakest crossbows still do more damage than any bow without bodkins.
At second - it was always question of realism - how people can reload crossbow at full galop. IMHO - bullshit and must be removed. Wanna reload - stop your horse and reload.
At third - you must rest your crossbow to reload. And you must stand still to rest your crossbow. Simple.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »
Only and only if paired with severe movement penalty (like reloading a gun in WFaS).

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »
i as crossbow man number one in crpg say: NO

this is unbalanced and stupid and makes cRPG becoming CS.

i often made my mind up for the hunting and light xbow aswell:

it is pertty balanced the way it is now, maybe we could just implement some other reload animations (because its rediculous to reload the hunting or light by bending over on the ground THOUGH you can reload them without using your feets on the horse back)

i suggest: implement a two handed reload animation wich is similar to the ones on horseback but has the same speed as the current ones.

:)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:14:48 pm by Armbrust_Schtze »
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!