Author Topic: spear and sheild  (Read 807 times)

Offline felldor

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
spear and sheild
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »
Hi guys, right I love my spear and shield but can't seem to get my build right, could anyonr post some of there builds or post a link to explain what each skill, atribute means, sorry for been noobish bit I'm new to this and mad in love with game/mod also what's best armor to where eg big sheild and naked I just don't know.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: spear and sheild
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »
'Hoplites' as many people will call spear & shield need speed.  You are a support character and if teammates are not around you are likely in trouble, alot more so than a 1h'er.  Since your weapon is much slower than 1h'ers, you need 5 shield at the minimum for your shield to take extra hits so you can find good position and timing.  You could drop a point or 2 from WM in this build and put them in shield while you learn techniques.

If you are NA, ATS has the best hoplites.  Pay close attention to them when in-game to see how they operate.

GUGNIR SPEARMAN:  like a wall of icicle daggers, keeping the enemy at bay until the time to strike is right
(click to show/hide)
Strength: 15 
Agility: 21
Hit points: 60
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 5   
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 5
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7
Polearm: 164

For info about attributes/skills
http://wiki.c-rpg.net/index.php?title=Attributes_%26_Skills

Written by me
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:40:49 pm by Digglez »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:57 pm »
Hi guys, right I love my spear and shield but can't seem to get my build right, could anyonr post some of there builds or post a link to explain what each skill, atribute means, sorry for been noobish bit I'm new to this and mad in love with game/mod also what's best armor to where eg big sheild and naked I just don't know.

Read this thread for a build discussion:
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html
There's a solid 21 Strength / 15 Agility build in there in the first post

Spear & shield aka "Spartan" or "Hoplite" build is an advanced one. It is kind of weak 1v1 unless expertly played because spear attack is slow and only goes in one direction (thrust). Most "Spartans" put away their shield to fight 1v1 unless they really know their footwork so if you want to be a shielder don't take that one for now. I would not recommend it. Try a shield and a military hammer, scimitar, or war/military cleaver so you weapon skill is 1handed not polearm.

As for armour it's your choice really, as a newbie you should stick with light to low-medium armour since you will be able to make money that way (medium-heavy armour gives you a net loss each round). It will also teach you how to stay alive and how not to crutch on heavy armour. Play on siege server for a while so you are back in battle 30 seconds after you die for more practice, in battle map you will prolly die at beginning and have to wait 5 mins for restart.

Offline felldor

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »
Yeah 1v1 I've been getting spanked, I usually stand back while my team are fighting and thrust in and out ( with my spear) picking of enemies with there back to me. I'm working on a technique that involves moving back moving back moving back then rush forward block quick then straight after they strike pull back my spear quick 180 turn and strike, but because of my low speed and aiming doesn't work at the minute. But landed it a few times.

Thanks for the build and advice.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:59 am »
'Hoplites' as many people will call spear & shield need speed.  You are a support character and if teammates are not around you are likely in trouble, alot more so than a 1h'er.  Since your weapon is much slower than 1h'ers, you need 5 shield at the minimum for your shield to take extra hits so you can find good position and timing.  You could drop a point or 2 from WM in this build and put them in shield while you learn techniques.

If you are NA, ATS has the best hoplites.  Pay close attention to them when in-game to see how they operate.

GUGNIR SPEARMAN:  like a wall of icicle daggers, keeping the enemy at bay until the time to strike is right
(click to show/hide)
Strength: 15 
Agility: 21
Hit points: 60
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 5   
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 5
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7
Polearm: 164

For info about attributes/skills
http://wiki.c-rpg.net/index.php?title=Attributes_%26_Skills

Written by me
Nice to see someone else starting to write in the Wiki. I've been trying to get myself to improve it but it basically just ends up with hitting random page and improving whatever shows up xD
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia