Author Topic: Katanas  (Read 10815 times)

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
Re: Katanas
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 01:04:56 am »
No hand ( Katana fly in the air with the mind telekinesis ) 250 Damage, 250 speed,  crush-through, effective against shield ( cause if it's can cut solid platinum  it's can cut through shield ) as well as dick size +10 for the holder.
Change "dick size +10" to "dick size -10" and I could happily live with those changes.  :mrgreen:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 01:29:24 am »
That’s it. I’m sick of all this “Useless spamitana” bullshit that’s going on in the CRPG system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.
Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.
Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the CRPG system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:
No hand ( Katana fly in the air with the mind telekinesis ) 250 Damage, 250 speed,  crush-through, effective against shield ( cause if it's can cut solid platinum  it's can cut through shield ) as well as dick size +10 for the holder.
When it's goes masterwork, it's should become a jedi light saber and the holder get the use of the Force from both side. So he can create force space-hole against Cruisers and use force thunders on his foes.
Mind rape will force anyone to suck his +10 dick too.

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think?
tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in CRPG, see my new stats suggestion

Ps : Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Nice copypasta, love how everyone thinks you're a troll :D
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Dammit

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pope_Pooptickler
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »
+5
Japanese werent the first to practice folding steel...that was the celts....

A katana is made of low quality steel so therefore they decided to fold it and will therefore have a hard time with most medieval europe's weapons. That shit you see in the movies or animes of a katana cutting through everything, would never really happen. Katanas were expected to face off against other katanas.

Problem, weeaboos?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:50:30 pm by Dammit »
I'll stomp a mudhole in your ass and then take a dirty bubbly yellow piss in it while all you can do is look back at me with a yellow smile about it.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »
+1
That video/gif is retarded. The other sword rests on a table, and therefore transfer the energy to the table in stead of bending. You could switch the swords and the result would be the euro sword bending.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 12:34:26 am »
EDIT: Nevermind...  :rolleyes: :lol:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:39:57 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
  • Renown: 451
  • Infamy: 108
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB(strat/crpg),Dracul(Friends)
  • Game nicks: Blackzilla_FIDLGB, Helios The Shiny
  • IRC nick: Blackzilla
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 02:51:08 am »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2011, 04:05:33 am »
SPAAAMTAAA!

(click to show/hide)

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 03:02:10 pm »
+1
That video/gif is retarded. The other sword rests on a table, and therefore transfer the energy to the table in stead of bending. You could switch the swords and the result would be the euro sword bending.

Actually they do the test with a Euro sword, the sword resting on the table breaks in two.

Offline Skysong

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Skysong
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2011, 03:20:55 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Sadly weabos can't accept the truth since they are brainwashed by animes.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hy_A9vjp_s

Here is the whole video related to the gif.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:37 pm »
Quote from: ARMA
Durability - Durability in a fighting sword refers to its general tenacity and its resilience and in delivering blows and receiving impacts over time without breaking or becoming bent. Simply put, a blade that bends too easily will deform too often and build up strains that will lead to its eventual failure (if not hopelessly distort it first). A blade that does not deform would stand up to long term use better, provided its strength is not exceeded. The more resistant to brittle catastrophic failure a sword blade is, however, the more malleable it becomes - meaning the easier a bend will set in. In the most basic terms, a good cutting and thrusting sword blade needs to be able to spring somewhat or else it will snap too easily under stress. To achieve such characteristics indefinitely requires a heat-treatment and cross-section that permits this - one that, if overloaded, will deform slightly rather suffer a sudden total failure. This matter is separate from edge hardness. Toughness is necessary for maintaining a hard edge that can cut well, but a certain degree of "springiness" permits it to resist sudden fractures.

A blade needs strength to resist deformation but toughness to withstand cracking and chipping. A more ductile and pliable blade would have little strength (as it would deform too easily). But, an overly hard blade, while having great strength to resists deformation, would also have no "give." Rather than bend or stretch under stress it would fracture to the point of snapping. An ideal cutting and thrusting sword blade is therefore between these two extremes. Hardness and softness in a blade is a matter of heat-treating, such that it affects it to either bend very quickly under force or else over-flex until it breaks without bending at all. A blade's stiffness, by contrast is solely a matter of its cross-section and its thickness, not its tempering. Together, these factors will achieve a particular sword's intended qualities. Generally, the sword which was least "heat treated" (hardened) would be tougher, but not necessarily the most resistant to fatigue strain. But, hardness in a blade or edge will undergo stress, and stressed material is more susceptible to fracture.

A springier blade, such as on the longsword, is able to endure fatigue and abuse over longer periods. However, a more robust blade able to resist breaking will tolerate greater sudden stress as in cutting powerfully at more resistant materials, which the katana achieves. Katanas tended to be strong essentially because their thick blades and narrow edges were of laminated structures with a differential heat treatment. Katanas typically have a very good combination of strengths due to tensile versus compressive forces from the edge material actually being longer than the spine (forcing its natural curvature). But such hardness is possible on two-edge straight blades as well. The katana will cut soft objects very well with little fatigue/strength issues, but over time it will not handle massive impacts or lateral forces as due to the same heat treatment that gives it such a strong edge (but requires a softer back). Additionally, the fact is, the sharper and the harder an edge, the easier it chips and cracks from use (i.e., suffers brittle failures). A softer edge, by contrast, will fold and dull from use (ductile failures). The katana required more rigidity for its hard-cutting design, while for its utility the longsword was more of a spring. The katana's edge leaned towards more brittleness while its spine was more prone to bending. In both weapons, cross sectional shape compensated for weaknesses while capitalizing on strengths.

Flexibility, or the ability for a blade to deform but return true, though regularly exaggerated in modern times, was actually of very little concern for swords intended for serious combat, and does not enter into the criteria here. Surprisingly, metal fatigue caused by shock and vibrations were not great concerns on swords. While the durability factor is one that should be the easiest to determine categorically by empirical measurement, it is one that has the least information on which to draw firm conclusions. No practical tests have ever been done to record the overall comparative attributes (impact forces and hardnesses) of the different respective blades from either culture. Making generalized estimates is thus difficult. Modern replica swords are typically poor substitutes for the real historical specimens and anecdotal accounts of blade resilience or flexibility are not enough to go on.

Of all the categories to rate, durability is the one, which, arguably, there is the least understanding of among modern sword enthusiasts. We can dismiss the hype that occurs with regularity in cartoons and videogames featuring the katana as a virtual lightsaber cutting through cannons and tanks. Similarly, we can dismiss the ignorant assumptions of Victorian-era-inspired writers of the 20th century who viewed Medieval European swords through the strained prism of isolated experience with flimsy sporting swords.

No sword is indestructible. All are produced as perishable tools with a certain expected working lifetime. There is also evidence both swords styles were made in versions intended for armored combat and versions intended for unarmored combat. This further complicates efforts to discern any overall sturdiness in their design. Which blade historically could possibly be called the more durable in combat is then an exceptionally complex issue to address and perhaps unanswerable.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:22:07 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »
+2
Blah

There you go. Solid proof guns are superior to swords.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2011, 09:19:18 pm »
I agree.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »
But I swear to god if one idiot start to pull of the ''sword need sharpening''...

Guns need to be taken care of as well!.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 11:20:07 pm »
We come to the conclusion that the Katana is a sharp weapon and good to cleave unarmored opponents with. And that it's actually inferior to good euro swords.
(click to show/hide)