Poll

Is upkeep on short rounds a problem?

Yes, I like Option 1.
7 (58.3%)
Yes, I like Option 2.
1 (8.3%)
Yes, I like some other option which I am going to post about.
0 (0%)
No, there is no problem.
2 (16.7%)
Pie.
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Minimum Payday Per Round  (Read 697 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Minimum Payday Per Round
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:14:06 pm »
+1
One problem I think I see with upkeep is that it's not the same on a large server versus a small server.

Bigger servers with more people tend to have longer matches.  Your x5 (or your x1) will pay you an extra tick or two before the last person is rounded up.  On servers where it's 15v15, the matches tend to be over quicker so you bleed more money.  You pay at the end of the round so if the round lasts 2 minutes, you can end up owing money even on a x5.

Suggestion #1:
You are always paid for a minimum of 5 minutes per round.  If the round lasted 6 minutes, you get paid for 6 minutes.  If the round lasted for 3 minutes, then at the end of the round you get 2 additional ticks of money (as if the round had gone for 5 minutes).  This will help even things out between short rounds vs long rounds.

Suggestion #2:
Alternatively, upkeep should be a factor of how long a round went.  Chance of an item breaking is further modified by MINUTES_PLAYED / MINUTES_IN_A_ROUND.  i.e., if the round timer is 7 minutes and the round lasts 3 minutes, then the chance of item breaking is 3/7ths normal.  If the round was 6 minutes then it's 6/7ths normal.

Something like this might go a long way to solving the mystery of why some people are going broke on a medium armor suit while some are making money -- it depends on when you play, how crowded the server is and how long the rounds last (it may also depend on maps and just plain old who's online -- some maps are quicker.  Some people are more prone to drawing a match out...  Regardless, maybe we need to even things out a bit.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:19:03 pm by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum Payday Per Round
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:29:12 pm »
But... shorter round = less chance of item breaking?

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:32:05 pm »
But... shorter round = less chance of item breaking?
Does it?  Maybe Option 2 is already in then.

Could be my imagination.  I feel like I bleed money much faster on a less crowded server where the rounds are shorter and therefore we get paid less per round.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:07 pm »
All I know is the short rounds in DTV (and lack of mulitpliers) are a huge reason why that mode burns gold so fast.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:53:54 pm »
Does it?  Maybe Option 2 is already in then.

Could be my imagination.  I feel like I bleed money much faster on a less crowded server where the rounds are shorter and therefore we get paid less per round.

Afaik, every minute of the round there is a 5% chance that an item will break, thus longer rounds have greater chance of item breaking.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »
 sometimes, if i join a server the round ends after 5 seconds and i have to pay so damn much.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »
I was under the impression that if you were dead, the % chance of breakage stopped, just like if you dropped the weapon.

So playing on a high pop server your life expectancy was lower, and therefore less repairs

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:17 pm »
As others mentioned I believe each tick of gold/xp is also connected to a tick of break chance.  Doesn't matter if you are alive or dead, which is why it's never fun to have a 1x.

It would be cool if each tick of break chance couldn't have more than one item break.  As it currently stands I think you could have everything break in one tick... sure that hardly ever happens but it would suck to repair everything from one round when you only gained 50 gold from a x1 tick.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »
All I know is the short rounds in DTV (and lack of mulitpliers) are a huge reason why that mode burns gold so fast.

Actually it is the reduced 1/3 reward that makes you lose money on DTV. Still a blast though with friends.

In addition, every tick triggers a break chance, not just gold and xp.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.