Author Topic: how big of a diff is 97 to 99 wep speed?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Bashere

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lyrical_Genius
how big of a diff is 97 to 99 wep speed?
« on: October 08, 2011, 11:08:37 am »
So just how big of diff are we talking? Milliseconds? I just read a bunch of Walt's posts and feel up to speed now but don't remember seeing this particular test.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: how big of a diff is 97 to 99 wep speed?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 12:12:28 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

I have not measured the speeds of the new two handed weapon thrust animation, but everything else still seems to be accurate. I would not compare weapons of different types (i.e. 97 speed one handed weapon vs 99 speed two handed weapon) as the different positioning of the weapon colliders are significant. The reduction in time per attack for increasing proficiency seems to be a proportional to the time per attack at 1 proficiency. This reduction is approximately 6.5% at 100 proficiency.

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »
Top class reply by WaltF4, thanks. By the way, does weapon length affect the speed of the swing in any way?
Just thinking that if no, aren't long weapons faster(or atleast the tip of the weapon) than shorter ones.

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:43:28 am »
Top class reply by WaltF4, thanks. By the way, does weapon length affect the speed of the swing in any way?
Just thinking that if no, aren't long weapons faster(or atleast the tip of the weapon) than shorter ones.

If the movement is circular , the top of sword is faster . The speed of the top is RxÖ  where R is the distance from to the hand to the point you are considering and  Ö the angular speed of the rotation. This has nothing to do with moutandblade, it's only Physical (Or cinematic)

Better explanation is : If you consider two weapon with same speed , the speed of your hand is the same , but the top of a very very long weapon will move a high distance in  the same time that the top of a short weapon will do for a shorter distance

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:46:05 am »
(click to show/hide)

I have not measured the speeds of the new two handed weapon thrust animation, but everything else still seems to be accurate. I would not compare weapons of different types (i.e. 97 speed one handed weapon vs 99 speed two handed weapon) as the different positioning of the weapon colliders are significant. The reduction in time per attack for increasing proficiency seems to be a proportional to the time per attack at 1 proficiency. This reduction is approximately 6.5% at 100 proficiency.
your plot seems to be more an exponantial degrowth than a line. Or at least try interpolation polynom of Lagrange to fit the curve

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:45 am »
+1

The tangential velocity of the tip of a longer weapons is greater when swung, which is important in real life as it partially determines kinetic energy and momentum transfer. However, melee weapon speed in M&B is almost exclusively about angular velocity of the the weapon collider, which does not depend on weapon length.