Author Topic: Le One Handers!  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Le One Handers!
« on: October 08, 2011, 01:47:55 am »
So im going 1h with sexy shield for the next couple of gens and while im getting used to it im going to shamelessly get you to talk about stuff to aid me :D

Im just curious who 1h players consider top class 1h players and what kind of weapons and shields 1hders like to use :P

annnnd what kind of 1h players/weapons/shields 2h/pole etc hate to fight :D all in all im a curious kinda guy (not in a gay way sorry to dissapoint reyiz) :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the qt crew
  • Game nicks: Kreczor_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Kreczor
Re: Le One Handers!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:24:28 am »
On NA Dan_CHEATS is definitely one of the best 1H + Shield players I've ever seen.

I play one as well, and I use the Long Arming Sword and the Huscarl's Round Shield.

A strategy I like to use: Wait for them to hit your shield then do a quick retaliation (May be common knowledge but w.e)

I'm by no means good, but I'm getting better :) Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miracle

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: s0mali_piratez
  • Game nicks: Miracle
  • IRC nick: Miracle
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:27:50 am »
Huscarl and Nordic War Sword.

/thread
also free allers, permaban digglez imo
is there anyone (NH members excluded) that would have an issue with that? basically allers is big pun and digglez is fat joe, nobody would say no to that trade

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:32:23 am »
Board Shield and Cleaver/Pick. ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO BE A RHODOK?

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 02:33:24 am »
best 1h is and will always be DimUrban, just remember his epic scores on the old strategus.

we were even ordered to avoid him unless we could gangbang him  :mrgreen:

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:46:50 am »
It's hard to think of "good one handers" in terms of players.  It's hard to stand out as a one-hander because your job is generally "holding people off".  Nobody holds off multiple attackers like an agility shielder.  It's usually the two-handers hogging the top of the kill charts.

I do recommend Dan_Cheats though.  Not sure what his build is but it must be 18/18 if not 15/21, with full wpf into 1-handed.

There's a couple other people who use the elite scimitar ("spamitar") that are good but I can't think of their names off the top of my head.

Standard shielder maneuvers:
* Let them hit your shield, then strike with a left swing (backhand) while stepping to the right side of them (your right).  This helps your swing land faster.
* Let them hit your shield, then draw back your backhand swing, hold for half a second, then release.  This can cause people to parry, but then they detect the delay and go for a hit, which is right when your blow lands.  Don't do this too often though -- if they think you're going to do this, they can just attack you twice in a row and they'll hit while you're holding.
* Kick them, then slash them.  Generally this is used against other shielders, to make them lose their block.  You need a fast weapon and high wpf in order to land your hit before they recover, but it's fairly common to see.

Don't neglect athletics for 1H.  Many 2H players go with 0 athletics because when your weapon reach is that long, you don't really need to face-hug people.  Most 1H weapons are short though so you really need to be able to get in their face -- a backhand with a warhammer, for example, requires you to be right up on them.  I suggest a minimum of 4 athletics.  6 is a lot better.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:25:52 pm by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:50:16 am »
As long as you can tell if a person hesitated long enough after a block, you can use left swing to slash at them again if spaced correctly.
I recommend going STR-oriented: 12-15 agi, rest strength. Tin can shielder is really good imo. Many 1h swords are too weak without the necessary strength.

Use anything in the second half of 1hands.
Italian,Espada,Nordic, or even the shorter ones too now that it's easier to hit teammates (I use steel pick).

Shields: You definitely want the shield speed in order to have adequate offense. The heater shields such as the knightly heater are good. If blocking ranged is your priority, go ahead and try heavy round or even huscarl. They aren't much worse with speed, but you will definitely end up feeling twitch block not as responsive.

If you have extra weapon slots, USE THEM. You can have a second hand axe to deal with other shielders, or something like an awlpike or boar spear to deal with cavalry (even with 1 wpf). 1 slot weapons give you a lot to manage.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:51:32 am by san. »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:29:38 am »
+1
I think the Nieuweido was by far the best weapon I've used as a shielder

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 03:31:44 am »
I think the Nieuweido was by far the best weapon I've used as a shielder

Why?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Miracle

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: s0mali_piratez
  • Game nicks: Miracle
  • IRC nick: Miracle
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 03:56:19 am »
I do recommend Dan_Cheats though.  Not sure what his build is but it must be 18/18 if not 15/21, with full wpf into 1-handed.

1818 4 lyfe
also free allers, permaban digglez imo
is there anyone (NH members excluded) that would have an issue with that? basically allers is big pun and digglez is fat joe, nobody would say no to that trade

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 03:58:15 am »
Why?
101 speed, 32 cut unloomed. 102 speed, 35 cut masterwork. It's a bit short, but still substantially longer than the can openers (88 reach).

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 04:43:51 am »
101 speed, 32 cut unloomed. 102 speed, 35 cut masterwork. It's a bit short, but still substantially longer than the can openers (88 reach).

Seems like a worse elite scimitar to me, mostly.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 04:51:26 am »
Balbaroth is pretty legit with his spammitar.

As for tips using a 1h plus shield, abuse the fact that upper swing and left swings are very similair in their swing appraoch, feint them very often, and you will get many headhits.
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 04:54:03 am »
I always went 18/18 when I went 1h and used a Military Sickle(Opposed to the military pick, mostly because of the extra length.) with either a Heavy Kite Shield or a Board Shield half the time, and a Huscarl shield if I was going to be working more with my fellow clanmates.

I also used the Broad Short Sword quite a bit, because it's fairly fast, and easy to feint with. It was always fun to feint a head hit and then just blindside them to the left.

Make sure to hit the duel server to keep your blocking skills from getting rusted up occasionally. When I transfered back to Polearm, I had issues blocking at first because I just haven't done it in forever. Not to mention that 1h/no shield is actually pretty damn viable if you're an agility build just due to the amount of swings you can get off in such a short time.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 05:21:00 am »

Actually 88 length is ideal for a 1h'er...not too long, not too short.  Longer weapons have issues with swing speeds and getting stuck in walls.