Author Topic: Gold sink  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Gold sink
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:16:28 am »
 I was wondering if it would be possible to implement some options/stuff that would cost gold and made some use of it.

It could be anything from being able to change heirloom to perhaps some fun-only items in the game that are expensive so not everyone can purchase them (we already have Torch which is just cosmetic club).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:59:37 pm by Tai Feng »
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
Re: Gold sink
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:42 pm »
It could be anything from being able to change heirloom to perhaps some fun-only items in the game that are expensive so not everyone can purchase them (we already have Torch which is just cosmetic club).

I would love a feature like that. Make it expensive and a once a week/month thing.
This way, you have something to save up for which in turn leads to more people in lower tier gear to make money.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:14:52 pm »
Of course the upkeep is cheap for you when you run around in peasant clothes with pitchfork.

I have ~25k worth of gear on and I struggle to upkeep it. On siege Its always a downhill drain, once you get x2 it auto-balances players to loosing team.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »
Tai, you spend a solid portion of your time in peasant gear with a battle fork, so of course upkeep is cheap in that case. If you wear 3k gear a third of the time, assuming eg. 35K upkeepable all the time, the remaining 2/3rds you could upkeep 51K.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:31 pm »
I meant when I'm in non peasant gear. I'll run some more tests to see how it turns out. Edit: well in the above mentioned armor (heraldic) I lose gold s bit. But I still think that's ok, Jarids are very expensive. Anyway back on topic now.

ps:

Brice: I don't use Battle Fork.
Welcome_To_Hell: Yes I think in Siege it's worse because of crazy autobalance. But I rarely play siege.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:14:18 pm by Tai Feng »
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:15:25 pm »
Upkeep is the gold sink, buy good gear and use it a lot.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »
Upkeep is the gold sink, buy good gear and use it a lot.

If there was better gear I'd use it. Unfortunately this "good gear" you mention consists of bad-looking (IMO) plate armors or horses (which are not an option when you don't want to be cavalry). If there was a polearm for 50,000 I'd consider using it. In short, if I want to "burn" gold, I have to use anime-weapons or out-of-time equipment, like armor from 16th century or renaissance 1H swords. That's just silly. I don't even care that much about 'realism' as long as it fits the atmosphere of the game. If I had cool movie-Chinese armor to buy, I'd do it.

Example:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Chinese_Armor_1.JPG (great silver/black combination, no red patterns to ruin the look)
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Hero-movie-04.jpg

But yes you could as well say it's my fault I don't want to buy those :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:43:19 pm by Tai Feng »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:44:12 am »
I still think elite versions of the normal items that cost 10 - 100x the price but only look different would be a good money sink. Maybe they could even be a tiny bit better. Only problem I see is upkeeping it.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline AdNecrias

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Enuma Elish, Thar the Unready
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:44:45 am »
I still think elite versions of the normal items that cost 10 - 100x the price but only look different would be a good money sink. Maybe they could even be a tiny bit better. Only problem I see is upkeeping it.

Make the models.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:20 am »
Maybe I will. But first, I will work on maps some more.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ferroh
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:05 am »
What's the problem?
He's asking for a gold sink for people who wear light armor and light weapons. He's not saying make upkeep fee 5 times more expensive.

Heavy plate isn't end game content for everyone

Offline MrNicklebe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:20:25 pm »
I've been wanting a gold sink for some time as well now. I play as cav and roll with about 33k worth of gear I think, but I'm still making profit slowly :|. I don't have enough strength to use better weapons or armour and wouldn't want to use heavier stuff if I could anyway. I could use a better horse but I don't see the point when my heirloomed rouncey is far better value.

I was thinking it would be useful to be able to transfer gold to other characters? I've started other characters but always got bored with the lack of gold and decent gear, so would end up switching back to my main.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:21:53 pm »
Of course the upkeep is cheap for you when you run around in peasant clothes with pitchfork.

Nothing wrong with that. Us peasants work hard to eke out a living.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »
I still think elite versions of the normal items that cost 10 - 100x the price but only look different would be a good money sink. Maybe they could even be a tiny bit better. Only problem I see is upkeeping it

heh.  like a gold plated hammer.
or something equally flashy.
Something that isnt any better than the cheap one, but people on the field can say "damn, he spent 100k on a gold hammer!"
fun

the way understand it is upkeep is 10% of the sell cost? right?
so make the sell cost of these items maybe only 2/3 the price of the original, so the upkeep is only a little more.  and if they want to sell it back they take a much bigger hit to the pocketbook.
100k buy, 5k sell    that sort of thing
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:39:05 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 03:05:50 am »
Delete :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:08:47 am by Tai Feng »