Author Topic: Beeing archer is unplayable!!!  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: Beeing archer is unplayable!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 10:25:24 pm »
I'm not constantly losing money and I use longbow + 2stack of bodkins + my little hammer.

Actually I should lose more money than you o.O

Do you wear heraldic armour with your archer or why is your upkeep that high?  :shock:

Archers become viable around 25, they are a late bloomer due to needing so much in the terms of stats (horse archers are even worse).

DO NOT BUFF ARCHERS. Just don't nerf them either.

EDIT: What is your desired build at level 30, and what are your current stats?

OMFG I AGREE WITH YOU  :shock:

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 10:34:56 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You're doing it wrong.

On topic about repair costs: I've been losing money so far w/ my horn bow x2 bodkins mace combo (with a red gambeson, khergit boots, mail gauntlets for armor so that isn't the problem).  I'm level 25 right now, and have had a slow drain (~5k loss) so far.  I noticed a loss of money during my last archer gen, this seems a bit less extreme but still not gaining cash... I'll see how things go as I get further in.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:37:15 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:29 pm »
Archery is all about up block?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 10:55:43 pm »
Archers become viable around 25, they are a late bloomer due to needing so much in the terms of stats (horse archers are even worse).

DO NOT BUFF ARCHERS. Just don't nerf them either.

EDIT: What is your desired build at level 30, and what are your current stats?
Funny how this doesn't address the OP's issue. Are you saving time to make more posts by not reading anyone else's?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 10:56:44 pm »
Funny how this doesn't address the OP's issue. Are you saving time to make more posts by not reading anyone else's?

it addressed the "Unplayable" part and was a standard response to the forthcoming "NERF ARCHERY" rage post that appeared just below my post.

I can tell the future.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 10:58:03 pm »
+1
Archery is soooo weak now, when they hit me they dont even take 1 hp i mow trough archer lines like a  gasoline-powered push mower. They seriously need a buff.

BUFF RANGED!!!
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 12:00:34 am »

No wonder that archer is failing... he's right clicking...

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 12:31:02 am »
+1
Archery is as balanced as it has ever been, it can do reasonable damage, they're weak to attacks and they can move freely without encurring too much of a problem.

As people have said, archers become viable around level 25 where you're finally able to actually do damage. Also, you're using a Horn bow and you expect be to doing well? Those things are flimsly little toy bows for kids! ;)

Archery is fairly easy but so is pretty much all the other builds (yes, manual blockers, just read to the end of the sentence) because you've got basic skills that you need to get in order to play any build with a reasonable level of competence, archery has the easiest one to start getting right and has the biggest rewards but becoming good at it requires a lot more hard work, taking the shots, shooting into melee in order to save an allies life, those sorts of things carry more risk and need to be refined more in order to be deemed good.
With manual blockers, it takes more work to get good with blocking but it's not a large step to start putting in the odd chamber (especially overheads against pikes, those I love to do! ^^)

Just give it some more time, level 23 means you're still a baby in terms of gameplay and generation two just means you're more likely to have played a short period of time compared to most of the good archers, therefore making your skills look inferior, which, don't get me wrong here, they are but you need to build on it.

Edit: That's what's been programmed into the game so that when the spacebar is pressed, this happens. (In effect I suppose the spacebar has had the effects of right mouse mapped to it as well if you have a ranged weapon)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:33:18 am by Tennenoth »

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:45 am »
Upkeep can be a bitch. I think it's because of the arrow type. They had increased breakability a few patches ago. I assume that's still there? That's the crippling factor for my HA. I switch to bodkins and I lose money, I switch back to barbed arrows and I gain it. Even the horse type doesn't make as big a difference as that change.

But regardless, you must be very unlucky to lose that much gold that fast. My record losing gold streak was just over 20k in 4 hours of solid play. But bearing in mind I was riding a courser and using bodkins x3. I had a x1 for pretty much the entire time. As a foot archer, you really shouldn't have that issue.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 01:33:44 am »
We'll somehow it seems that chance is as much your friend as statistics are to a high school teacher I saw interviewed in the daily show the other day.

Basically he was asked how big the risk was, that the cern would cause a black hole and destroy earth.
He answered 50/50. Either it does or it doesn't.

So, in some evil logic of chadz, it seems your eq has a 50/50 chance of breaking. Either it does... or it doesn't.

Good luck!
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 01:44:30 am »
+1
You're doing it wrong.

On topic about repair costs: I've been losing money so far w/ my horn bow x2 bodkins mace combo (with a red gambeson, khergit boots, mail gauntlets for armor so that isn't the problem).  I'm level 25 right now, and have had a slow drain (~5k loss) so far.  I noticed a loss of money during my last archer gen, this seems a bit less extreme but still not gaining cash... I'll see how things go as I get further in.
its the bodkins dont use them unless ur ok with losing the money...if u want to gain money use tatar arrows makes a huge differance

Offline Greziz

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kerin__Grahm_BRD, Linden_BRD, secretary of BRD
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 01:50:33 am »
Ok I know what your problem is. If you all have not noticed if you are a lower lvl using high end gear you are more likely to break it than as a higher Level. To put it simple and retarded style.

Higher lvl equal less upkeep! atleast that is what I have noticed.

On a side note ROCK 9 powerdraw and a masterwork longbow! IT IS THE BEST!

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:38 am »
+1
It's easy to play with a bow, it's hard to be a great player (with all the adjectives it carries) using a bow.

It's easy to play with a polearm, it's hard to be a great player (with all the adjectives it carries) using a polearm.

It's easy to....

I could carry on to every single possible build but cba.

It's easy to scream "omgggggggggg op so much damage bs etc wadda wadda" when by any chance a good player focus on you by any reason and rapes the shit out of you.

It's a war game, the "paper, rock, scissors" system works here as-well, just learn to deal with it.

Being an archer is playable, maybe not like how it was prior to the missile speed nerf patch, but even so, it's is viable and easy to enjoy.
Just depends on what kind of play style you embrace, depends on your awareness sense (which is extremely important in this class), and specially knowing when to shoot and what to shoot.

I'm using my old skirmisher build at the moment and I've realized it is still quite playable even if I had to spent wpf points in the side weapon. You can see me top scores several times using only 1 quiver (17 arrows) and a 2 handed weapon, picking sometimes arrows from the floor, making every shot count. Another example of this playstyle is Tenne.

Just be patient cause only on levels 25+ you will have enough weapons to be a decent archer (and bet on long range shooting near level 30 since it's most likely when you get the max weapon master desired on your build).

Cheers.

edit: even when using 2 quivers, and repairing both, I end up making money. Give it some time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:54:44 am by karasu »

Offline Bija

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bija
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 04:44:58 am »
I'm 2 million exp into level 30(2. gen), and I'm still losing money. All three quivers breaks allmost every lost round - with 163 wpf. I have no choice but to play alts, because I'm nigh on broke.

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:24 am »
+1
Archery is as balanced as it has ever been, it can do reasonable damage, they're weak to attacks and they can move freely without encurring too much of a problem.

archery has the easiest one to start getting right and has the biggest rewards but becoming good at it requires a lot more hard work, taking the shots, shooting into melee in order to save an allies life, those sorts of things carry more risk and need to be refined more in order to be deemed good.
With manual blockers, it takes more work to get good with blocking but it's not a large step to start putting in the odd chamber (especially overheads against pikes, those I love to do! ^^)

I agree that archery is in a good spot right now (give or take small tweaking).

However, I can't help but disagree that melee is easier to master than archery or that archery has the greatest rewards. It does, however, take better judgement in some cases as you said, but it doesn't take more "hard work" than melee.
Melee is a lot more mechanically-oriented, but now that literally everyone can block 3 feints in a row, I'm seeing the meta-game (of what there is, lol) of it changing up... Chambers really aren't as effective as they used to, I think. Archery on the other hand is pretty straightforward imo.

(I love archery, but I definitely think melee is harder!)