Author Topic: 1handed wpf and armor  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Bashere

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lyrical_Genius
1handed wpf and armor
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:43:20 am »
So for a dedicated 1hander with say 140 wpf, whats the max armor that is wearable? I like heavy armors but don't know if i'm gimping myself. What about wpf 120 also? As always, thanks for any replies...

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: 1handed wpf and armor
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:56:00 am »
I won't do the math for you but you can easily figure it out with these formulas:

armor weight modified proficiency = base proficiency * (1 - 0.0082 * effective armor weight)

and

effective armor weight = 3*head armor weight + body armor weight + leg armor weight + 2*hand armor weight - 7.7

The thing is though, the more you are carrying the slower you get movement-wise. You are already slowed enough by carrying a shield. Since 1-handers do the least damage overall, they really depend on their head hits with a good movement damage bonus. If you are wearing plate that is going to impact that significantly.

Best word of advice is get some medium armor and call it a day.

Oh, unless you are going for a strength build. Then you can wear all the armor you want. Though strength builds are FAR more effective with poles and 2 handers than for 1 handers due to ps giving a percentage-based damage increase.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:57:28 am by rustyspoon »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bashere

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lyrical_Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:14:16 am »
Yeah i'll prob just do that. What is the line between med and heav armor for the body? I wear cheap ass rus shoes so they don't rly add much weight. 15 lbs? 20lbs?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:28:10 am by Bashere »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:40 pm »
Up to 15 weight could be considered 'medium', above that i'd call heavy. Armours above 20 weight i consider to be 'tincan' armours.

Buy decent medium armour first and heavy armour later. That way, if you cannot afford the upkeep on the heavy armour, you still have you medium armour to fall back on.

Edit:
I agree with Marathon below me. A good shield + medium armour and high athletics (6) = being able to face multiple opponents without much trouble + can always outmanoeuvre (read: run away from) the mob when needed

Sucks to have low-ish power strike (6) with swords though. Gotta make the swings hit at the 'sweet spot' to prevent glancing on heavy armour. Consider bringing a mace or pick sometimes, blunt and pierce are great.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:43:11 pm by Phazey »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:35:29 pm »
+1
Imo 1h should never wear armor very heavy armor.

Anyways, with 140 wpf you CAN wear heavy armor swing speed wise. But movement speed wise? Not so much. I wouldn't sacrifice your movement speed like that for a shield user.
The whole idea of a shield is that it takes the hits for you, not the armor. Armor is insurance, but for only an additional mistake or 2 before you die. I always use medium or light armor for a shielder.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:37:46 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:55:37 am »
My first gen build months back was a 15/24 1h/polearm hybrid, and although I sucked even more then I still managed kills with a 1h around 120 wpf in a heavy kuyak and that was before the patch that made glancing less likely.

You should be alright if you play intelligently for your build type and if you want a concrete answer then just skip the fun with an alt and try whatever you have envisioned.
And how!

Offline dark_bud

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:59:05 am »
Stupid question guys, when factoring armor weight modified proficiency, for a 1h shielder, do you include the weight of your shield?

Using the formulas given by rustyspoon that doesn't include shield weight, however I figured it would be a question worth asking since I don't know much.

My current build is 21/18 with 7ps, 6 ath, 6 shield, 4 wm, 138 1h wpf and I am trying to figure out just how much armor I can use without it really affecting me.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »
Stupid question guys, when factoring armor weight modified proficiency, for a 1h shielder, do you include the weight of your shield?

Using the formulas given by rustyspoon that doesn't include shield weight, however I figured it would be a question worth asking since I don't know much.

My current build is 21/18 with 7ps, 6 ath, 6 shield, 4 wm, 138 1h wpf and I am trying to figure out just how much armor I can use without it really affecting me.

Shield weight doesn't affect WPF. It does affect movement speed however.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:35:47 am »
Helm,gloves, and boots: as heavy as possible/as heavy as you want, these are more for wpf penalty, which doesn't matter too much at 140 wpf.

Body: Anywhere ~15 to less weight. There are multiple armors that have less weight for better defense. Try out with the ~10 weight armors and see if you want to go up or down from there.