Author Topic: Fewer players now?  (Read 10798 times)

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
Re: Fewer players now?
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »
Did you see that in a docu on Fox?

No, it was an ancient roman history writer who described the germans and wrote that down, as well as the weird habit to put some flesh under the saddle and eat some of  it while moving. Horsesweat somehow kept it from going bad(must be the salt in it), but it wasn't something nice to eat either :D Does fox now do documentaries ? I thought they were a series channel only.

You should read some original or translated texts from the ancients, so many myths can be busted this way. For example many celt fans say the druids didn't do human sacrifices, while we find detailed descriptions on how and when they would do them. Which is also the reason their religion was outlawed and we know so little of it today.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »
No, it was an ancient roman history writer who described the germans and wrote that down, as well as the weird habit to put some flesh under the saddle and eat some of  it while moving. Horsesweat somehow kept it from going bad(must be the salt in it), but it wasn't something nice to eat either :D Does fox now do documentaries ? I thought they were a series channel only.

You should read some original or translated texts from the ancients, so many myths can be busted this way. For example many celt fans say the druids didn't do human sacrifices, while we find detailed descriptions on how and when they would do them. Which is also the reason their religion was outlawed and we know so little of it today.

you do realize that roman sources are biased against barbarian nations, right?

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2011, 02:59:08 pm »
"ebend" is ruhrpott and i've known it since the 90s but only in the meaning of "exactly".
In general I agree with you joker to some degree, but you also have to consider that this is the way languages have allways and will allways evolve. In long therm view (like several hundred years) new languages arise in this manner. Like from ancient greek and latin to roman languages. Of course you can discuss whether it is evolution or decay but in my opinion this is irrelevant and in either way new languages evolve adequate to the needs of people. And you can do nothing agianst it except preserving the written language.

topic hijacked.

The romantic languages were originally languages of Germanic origins, but adopted much of latin's conventions due to the cultural dominance of rome.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:02:20 pm by Thucydides »

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »

Not all were biased, and they were reporting facts not opinions. Also they knew the germans very well and even hired some german horsemen to fight with them. They also had direct contact with the celts (they conquered them), so the facts they reported can be considered accurate enough. If the druids eviscerated people to foretell the future of a battle by the way the man died and how his intestines moved, it isn't the ancient romans' fault   :? I mean facts with details, even some druids were named and we know they had direct contact with both populations, what else do you want. You can chose to believe myths and legends without any source if you want, but that's not history.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2011, 03:06:56 pm »
Did you see that in a docu on Fox?

So how did they reproduce  :lol:
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2011, 03:08:10 pm »
biased? They invented them.
Not all were biased, and they were reporting facts not opinions. Also they knew the germans very well and even hired some german horsemen to fight with them. They also had direct contact with the celts (they conquered them), so the facts they reported can be considered accurate enough. If the druids eviscerated people to foretell the future of a battle by the way the man died and how his intestines moved, it isn't the ancient romans' fault   :? I mean facts with details, even some druids were named and we know they had direct contact with both populations, what else do you want. You can chose to believe myths and legends without any source if you want, but that's not history.
uh, I heavily disagree. All historical documents are biased and especially the ones in that time period. You can try to approach what might have happened at that time but I would be very careful with the word "fact".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:18:36 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

This belongs in the historical discussion area.

But anyway, Thucydides (the poster here, not the Greek historian) is correct.

Unless you want to tell me that you believe that the Druids had a mystical egg that they captured after it was formed from the 'scum of serpents' who lifted it up so that the druid could catch it before it fell? (Tacitus, in Agricola, and Pliny)

Generally, modern classical historians consider that the ancient sources are not necessarily 100% true.

Don't forget that the study of history was practised in a very different way back then. Mostly it did come from word of mouth - particularly when dealing with areas that the Romans had little experience of.

Also, to talk about the Germans as if they were a nation as they are now is misleading. The Romans had contact with only a few tribes who lived along the Rhine and north of the Danube. Germanic tribes also migrated often, so the Romans had very little idea of who actually lived in Germany or what they did.
Germanic tribes were frequently used as tools in Roman propaganda (Claudius did this most famously).

In short, no you can't rely on the ancient sources for historical accuracy.
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
I didn't say they were all true, just that when they reported facts with details, and not some legend, there is no reason to believe they were false or made up and so it's reasonable to believe that particular fact to be true. (this thread has been derailed previously so don't look at me i didn't derail it).

If you want go to back on topic, i'll say that another reason that drives players away is the recent lag issues. Given the nature of this game, lag will completely ruin it.