Author Topic: Please bring back Defend the Village  (Read 2290 times)

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boreal_V, John, Dogtanian, Lexor, Cobalt, Toissonador, Flip_it and Sir_Arn, poor Sir_Arn.
Please bring back Defend the Village
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:37 pm »
+26
Defend the Virgin mode is a charlie foxtrot every time, the maps are far too exposed and it's ceased to be fun to play.

Compared to Defend the Village, it really doesn't hold a candle. In Defend the Village, you had coherent teamplay most of the time and a good last-stand feel to the rounds, barricading yourself into a ruined house most of the time and holding a doorway against all odds. It really was great fun and felt superb.

Defend the Virgin lacks all of that, there's nothing to attract me to it any more. So please, bring back Defend the Village mode, it was my favourite game mode. Dont let My_Horse_Is_Called_Rebecca's comprehensive strategy guide go to waste. :-(

I offer up my humility before the donkey god.

-John

Offline GreatKali

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Please bring back Defend the Village
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:42:33 pm »
+1

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:38 pm »
+1 a static virgin is just lame.

And I want to be able to use horses.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »
Defend the Virgin is ok -with able players that is-

Many maps offer working chokepoints. But the inherent MMORPG-like mechanics (one noob is enough to fuck up aggro) of this mode and the high number of players makes it unpopular for good players that either don't know DTV is profitable when done right or simply don't want to be the only valuable player in a sea of peasants and noobs.

With a majority of serious players, you can organise things to reproduce Defend the Village-like, shieldwall+meatgrinder formations.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:52:36 pm »
Defend the Virgin mode is a charlie foxtrot every time, the maps are far too exposed and it's ceased to be fun to play.

Compared to Defend the Village, it really doesn't hold a candle. In Defend the Village, you had coherent teamplay most of the time and a good last-stand feel to the rounds, barricading yourself into a ruined house most of the time and holding a doorway against all odds. It really was great fun and felt superb.

Defend the Virgin lacks all of that, there's nothing to attract me to it any more. So please, bring back Defend the Village mode, it was my favourite game mode. Dont let My_Horse_Is_Called_Rebecca's comprehensive strategy guide go to waste. :-(

I offer up my humility before the equus africanus asinus god.

-John

+9001

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:07:21 am »
(one noob is enough to fuck up aggro)
That was my one experience with DTV.  The map was actually perfect.  The virgin was on the top of a steep hill and the NPCs should have been perfectly fodderous going up that hill.

Instead of doing the sensible thing, like waiting at the top of the hill, we had idiots running down the hill (okay during the peasant waves, not okay during the cavalry charges, though it was fun watching them get squashed like bugs), or one or two people would go off to the side, presumably to "solo" and they'd end up dragging some of the NPCs that way.  We'd kill the main host climbing the hill, be like, "hey, why didn't isn't this round over?" only to realize the idiots on the side got killed and the NPCs on them made a straight line to the virgin from there, bypassing us and the steepest part of the hill entirely.

DTVirgin is too easily screwed with by random people.
I never got to play DTVillage but it sounds like more fun.  I'm sure they changed it to deal with exploiters going up to unreachable areas but surely there's a better way to address that problem.

Maybe it should be DTVirgin but she should always be placed in a defensible location, like inside of a house or something, and not just standing out in the open.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:15:43 am »
I purposely go off to the side and lead NPCs to the virgin so I can watch them smash her clothes off and take her virginity.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 01:35:24 am »

DTVirgin is too easily screwed with by random people.
I never got to play DTVillage but it sounds like more fun.  I'm sure they changed it to deal with exploiters going up to unreachable areas but surely there's a better way to address that problem.

Dependently on the class it was a way more boring.
Main tactic was to run the a easily defendable position, block the path with two shielders and kill the npc one by one and that for every wave.

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:30 am »
Better than defending a static whore that, basically is backed up against a wall.
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the qt crew
  • Game nicks: Kreczor_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Kreczor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 03:30:31 am »
I've never played it personally but it was one of the more interesting features I read about when I was installing the mod.

Do want.

+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 11:09:15 am »
umm idk what you mean maybe it was before my time?

whenever i played dtv there was only like max 7 people tops (usually less)in there and it was usually impossible to complete due to the fact that u simply cannot defend her AT ALL

it took my entire clan (LL) to even populate a dtv server due to the fact there always dead,and when we did it took an organized clan with ts to get anything done we had as FULL SHIELD WALL AND PIKES AND EVERYTHING(the server was  the biggest i ever saw a dtv be when we rolled it strong) and we still cold not beat it due to the certain reasons

why:
-the AI are free to hit through each other with ease while you cannot do so
(terrible when u actually have the luck that you can do a shield wall phalanx)

-there are no barricades so unless you have like A HUGE amount of shields you have no means to stop them

-you cannot move the virgin
(which is retarded why would she stand in the middle of nowhere instead of like a defend-able allay or stairway)

-there were usually too many routes to the virgin and horse AI had the habit of ignoring you and trying to just run to the virgin

^this is why dtv is broken i would love if it was fixed until then its a dead game style please look into it
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline john_pullinger

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boreal_V, John, Dogtanian, Lexor, Cobalt, Toissonador, Flip_it and Sir_Arn, poor Sir_Arn.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:17:35 am »
I would love to see the old Defend the Village come back. Holing up that doorway took good teamwork and was great fun. Much more fun than getting massacred in the open because the virgin stands exposed to the world and you can't get her into a bloody defensible structure of any kind.

Please, bring it back. Lexor served a purpose when he had a doorway to help plug.

-John

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 01:30:10 am »
yes please

i used to play defend the village all the time

defend the virgin just isnt as fun for some reason

Offline Dishonorable_Rogue

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 01:36:13 am »
I loved DTV. People exploited it yeah. But that doesn't mean you remove it!

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 03:03:47 am »
+1
Defending the virgin is fun from time to time, but u just lose too much gold and the exp are not worth it in the first couple of rounds. And later there are always some noobs ruining it because they die too easily and the others have to deal with a lot more enemies.

+1!