Poll

Are you experiencing a lack of collision detection when using or up against shields?

Yes and something should be done about it.
Yes and I think it should stay as is.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Shield Wall  (Read 4845 times)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
Re: Shield Wall
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 07:44:46 pm »
IMHO guys stop wasting your time with shielder classes, and go either archer or 2hander. Then you will at least stand a chance. Shielder is the most hated class among the cRPG dev team, it can be easily judged by the amount of nerfs shielders sustained (the largest). From what Armagan originally put into shields in M&B, the crpg lolbalance team managed to nerf almost everything. So now shielders simply cannot compete with 2 handers (I am of course talking about professionals on both sides).

thats another reason i stick with it. i know i piss people off when they cant kill me or i kill them. all i play is siege and laugh my balls off when they think its a duel server and complain about shields. lets be honest between the hit boxes and crushthru and the silly kick, shielders are easy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 07:46:23 pm »
I dunno, I'm not entirely convinced that this is happening. I DO think that the game is overall more laggy now, which would account for this. So, I think it's due to lag instead of hitboxes.

ya but why after the patch am i swinging totally thru peoples heads with an overhead or getting hit by 2h or polearms a mile away? still lag? or terrible hit boxes? maybe they go hand and hand
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 08:55:11 pm »
IMHO guys stop wasting your time with shielder classes, and go either archer or 2hander. Then you will at least stand a chance. Shielder is the most hated class among the cRPG dev team, it can be easily judged by the amount of nerfs shielders sustained (the largest). From what Armagan originally put into shields in M&B, the crpg lolbalance team managed to nerf almost everything. So now shielders simply cannot compete with 2 handers (I am of course talking about professionals on both sides).

well i still say elite shielders never complain about it and they seems to do really good. besides that, 1h/shield is the easiest build to play and survive... but also the easiest build to play BAD. if you're a 2h/polearm you need some more practice than a shielder or you'll just instantly boom while as a shielder, if the things go back you just turtle. maul break their usual gameplay so they rage. but again, good shielders instead adapt and deal with maulers (and kill em).

usually, if a shielder see a maul in most cases should run away unless is a experienced player and knows how to deal with and knows how that mauler will play. as a 2handed would do when facing an archer/xbow/thrower. a mauler can easly take down an average shielder while an archer can easly take down a twohander.

a shielder can't hope to take down 10 2handed guys but also to be really effective versus ranged, while skipping the manual block training part of the game.

i see veteran shielders focusing and putting effort in what they play and do fine. guys, the shielder need to use the brain more than fighting skills. you need to figure it out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:03:10 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Goldor

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: America the Vulnerable
  • Game nicks: Goldor
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 04:03:15 am »
+1
I've noticed that I'm able to simply slip past shielders now when they are trying to block areas, no idea why that is, but it's something that needs to be worked on.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 04:51:44 am »
A dude with a maul and a dude with a pike will blitz ball that wall.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 06:03:49 am »
+2
Yep, two guys with Huscarl shields should be able to block a doorway until killed.  I've noticed that it is too easy to slip past.

Offline awesomeasaurus

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Awesomeasaurus
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:58 pm »
I'm not sure if this is all related to a decrease in the shield's effective size but yesterday I had the pleasure of an arrow going through my upraised shield and into my face. While I can see the balance value of making this possible, I am still distressed it affects the 'walling' ability of shields and reduces it greatly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:20:13 pm by awesomeasaurus »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:29 pm »
I love how Varyag whines about 1h in every thread where shields are mentioned. I think he has a severe case of l2p.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 06:38:55 pm »
I love how Varyag whines about 1h in every thread where shields are mentioned. I think he has a severe case of l2p.

i have nothing against him but yes surely needs to put some effort in it.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 06:48:49 pm »
+2
i fucking hate great maul, its so random.

Random instawin effects dont belong in multiplayer games

Offline Hrafn

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »
its not random

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »
+1

there are no random factors about crushthru. it's an equation involving raw damage, weight of the weapon, weight of the shield/weapon that is being crushed. if someone don't crushthru all the times, is because the target crushthru resistance match the mauler crushthru ability. that's why when i had low PS builds (6-7) with mallet/ old morningstar / old barmace, i often needed good speedbonus + hold attack to pass an hard block (steel shield to make an example). and +3 greatmaul with 9PS crushthru all the time so no randomness you speak of.

someone posted the crushthru and knockdown equations somewhere. the only half random effect i know is knockdown. i say half because one variable modifying the probability of knockdown is again base damage (but is still capped at 30% probability if i'm not wrong)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:17:20 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 07:44:41 pm »

Not random at all. All you have to do is attack when the one using a great maul goes for an overhead.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »
Crushthrough knockdown is random
Its hard enough as a shielder to face a crushthrough player, due to range and speed. With the added "bonus" of knockdown it becomes really frustrating.

I really dont think those weapons should have both effects at once

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:42 pm »
Don't get hit and you're fine. What do you mean, due to range and speed? 1h has the advantage in speed.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.