Author Topic: retiring: what's the point?  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
Re: retiring: what's the point?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06:49 am »
The point of retiring is not getting bored out of your mind with one build. And looms make difference. It may take you couple of generations to see that, but they do.
My problem is that I don't know why retire AFTER I obtain all equipment I need, i.e. 5-6 loomed items. 
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:21 am »
I retired 11 times so I can 1shot some annoying mofos with my MW arbalest and MW steel bolts. Some folks retire 20 times so they can wear their armor and be invisible. However, after my 12 retirement I will stop that practice.

Latest rumor I overheard in Dhirim Tavern: if you retire 113 times, you get your own flying carpet as a bonus.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:29:40 am by Varyag »

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 09:34:41 am »
I think that's why they made it an option.  Some people are happy with the status quo, others want to move on.  I'm one sikill point off my favourite build, so I will build again: but this time with slightly better gear.  Personally, I think they should make retirement mandatory, say after level 35 you lose 1 att point (your choice), plus whatever skillpoints are associated (obviously not your choice).  Kinda like real life.  Of course I assume it would take three to four years to get that level, but if they made the exp per level necessary the same, say after level 25 (when you first might kill), then it would all be good.  Or so thinks I.

Offline SchokoSchaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: Eats grass
  • IRC nick: Schoko
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:44 am »
Many people retire just so they can try out new builds, while some actually enjoy leveling back up (POOPHAMMER).
This.
määääääääääh!

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:12:27 am »
After triple looming both horse and heavy lance, I've only been using retirements as a loom point selling device to mantain my lavish cav lifestyle.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 10:52:16 am »
Jup, heirlooms bring in a lot of money. You can sell your heirloom points for what, between 300 000 and 400 000 gold?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 10:53:04 am »
Loom points go for 400k+, unless you're selling them to friends cheaper.

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 11:47:41 am »
My experience used to be that heirlooms make a difference, but only on certain weapons.

Masterwork stones? Good, in fact to me they make a massive difference to normal ones.

But something like a fully heirloomed great maul? Bit pointless, if I recall that one goes from 8.0 weight and 43 damage to 8.5 weight and 47 damage.

Generally if you are using such a weapon you will have at least a good degree of strength on your build and the incremental increase in the stats just isnt worth it.

Better to heirloom the heavy armour most people would probably be wearing using a build with that weapon.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 11:57:57 am »
My experience used to be that heirlooms make a difference, but only on certain weapons.
That goes without saying.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 11:59:27 am »
That goes without saying.

I dunno, given how some people on CRPG act im often under the impression of a distinct lack of thought going on.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 11:59:53 am »
After getting a +3 weapon and +1 plate mittens, I haven't retired.. I think I've respecced from 31 to 30 about 4-5 times now. It's a lot of fun. Lets you try any build you like from high levels, and with the marketplace you can get any weapon you want.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
  • Faction: ZULU
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »
+1
I retired 11 times so I can 1shot some annoying mofos with my MW arbalest and MW steel bolts. Some folks retire 20 times so they can wear their armor and be invisible. However, after my 12 retirement I will stop that practice.

Latest rumor I overheard in Dhirim Tavern: if you retire 113 times, you get your own flying carpet as a bonus.

Bullshit. 20 times? Who do you actually know who retired "20 times"? Unless you've got your character sitting on some leeching server I don't know about sucking up xp and gold while you're at work, I highly doubt anyone has retired this many times. I've been playing for about a month and am just now getting to 31.

This game just feels like one big grind for the smallest amount of reward possible. Running around in peasent gear saving up your gold getting killed by a tin cans all day who seem to have unlimited funds to pay for their upkeep costs. Upkeep costs don't add anything to the game and they don't remove inequality between older and newer players, as older players can afford the upkeep costs and newer players can't. Older players can afford the masterwork / lordly armors while newer player can't. The most fun I've had are on my "skip the fun" characters, where you get to skip the boring ass grind and make a fun character. Calling a grind fun doesn't make it fun. It's still a fucking grind.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »

Bullshit. 20 times? Who do you actually know who retired "20 times"? Unless you've got your character sitting on some leeching server I don't know about sucking up xp and gold while you're at work, I highly doubt anyone has retired this many times. I've been playing for about a month and am just now getting to 31.

This game just feels like one big grind for the smallest amount of reward possible. Running around in peasent gear saving up your gold getting killed by a tin cans all day who seem to have unlimited funds to pay for their upkeep costs. Upkeep costs don't add anything to the game and they don't remove inequality between older and newer players, as older players can afford the upkeep costs and newer players can't. Older players can afford the masterwork / lordly armors while newer player can't. The most fun I've had are on my "skip the fun" characters, where you get to skip the boring ass grind and make a fun character. Calling a grind fun doesn't make it fun. It's still a fucking grind.

Retirement was faster in the older days. There ARE guys who retired way over 20 times.

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
  • Faction: ZULU
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 12:20:41 pm »
Retirement was faster in the older days. There ARE guys who retired way over 20 times.

Not really relevant anymore though, is it?

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »
Not really relevant anymore though, is it?

Still, some people retire very fast. You just need to play 24/7. I guess even once a week is possible.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:27:55 pm by Vibe »