Author Topic: Making alts more viable again  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Making alts more viable again
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 01:38:18 am »
Why kill the alt? The goal here is to actually have people playing on alts. And retiring is what the alt needs to do in the first place just to get a loom. Even if the alt gets back to level 30 by the time it decides to give the loom to the main, what is the point in forcing a retire after transferring looms?

Which is why it was a question and not a suggestion.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 01:40:45 am »
+2
Simply transfering the loom.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 01:43:37 am »
Current idea:
  • Alt can be consumed by main, meaning:
    • Alt is permanently killed
    • All heirlooms on the alt are transfered to main

nice
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:18 am »
I love my alts, they allow me to switch from character to character whenever I feel tired, and give me a fresh look on the game as it allows me to instantly switch roles.

Same with me.

Low level is no fun since without finished builds you can't do anything.
Shortage of money is no fun because of the upkeep system and prices of items.
Gen 1 is another pain in the ass .
No heirlooms = Sigh...

I have 4 regular chars. 2h, archer, agi-1h and very last my 1h-shielder - in that order. They are still all 1st gen. I loved them all the same, it was a hard tearful decision for choosing my main char. Shielder it is, no doubt, I hope it's the most reasonable for me for strategus. But what I am trying to say is that my main is just one of my alts. That's it. And I love to change my role in combat (btw, what is 'cRPG' meaning? is it combat-RPG? correct me if I'm wrong :?). And it really always feels like another skin, I do react different depending on what I play, you know that feeling. Clothes make the man. Anyways, who doesn't enjoy playing an alt doesn't need to.

so:
- I would not encourage letting the main devour alts. I think it's bullshit to level a different character for the sake of killing him for profit. And it's cruel!
- I would not change anything about the exp gain. Different chars should stay different chars. Like I said, imho a main is just another alt.
- marketplace for all chars? Not a wrong way of thinking I guess, but it will result in uncontrollable hubbub. I'd say no, but read further:

my suggestion is:
What if our chars could sell/trade between them? Like normal items for a bit more than half the selling prize and heirloomed ones for prize * 10 * (loom-level + 1) in gold, maybe?. And don't change exp-gain, cause that's against the logic of role-play, I'd say.

The resulting worst case I can think of would be a char with many loomed items selling them to other chars for relatively nothing while not selling them on the marketplace (if he/she is the main).
In general, when a char is a poor bastard there is still a motivation in getting more money to buy this thing from his char-buddy. And the rich char should think twice about selling his stuff for nothing - can there be exploitation?
It would be a way to balance wealth for that's the most annoying thing about characters. Not the gens.
For alts it will feel like heirloomed items are extra expensive high-class stuff like in native warband, but you can also achieve them by playing long enough. For main chars these items are even more of value, cause of the marketplace.

I think that would be a way to not open the marketplace for all those chars (will get crowded) while still having the possibility to exchange stuff without too big a loss, and it won't get abused as much as there is still the time=money principle and always a small sacrifice.

I don't know if there is an error in reasoning, but it seems a nice idea to me, isn't it?

Cheers
Kajia

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 02:15:56 am »
I'm pretty sure the reason they don't open the marketplace to alts is because it would allow you to transfer stuff back and forth between your characters. I highly doubt it would put too much of a straing data-wise on the marketplace if alts were allowed to trade. I guess I can understand the problem with letting your characters just constantly switch items whenever you want to play on a different character, but personally, I would like to be able to use the marketplace with my alts. I typically have stupid alts that have a ridiculous amount of extra money because I give them crap for equipment. Like my 11 athletics alt with a katana and bridal gear. What if I want to buy a loomed bridal dress with all the extra money it makes? As of now, that money is just going to waste

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 03:55:16 am »
i wouldn't want to do that; then you would end up not playnig your alt once again cause you're too lazy to get it back to 30 and dont want to be a peasant. I think the solution is to make alts good to play even at higher levels where yo uactually get to use the build you've worked for.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26:43 am »
Gaining xp on the main sounds like a good idea.

A common pool of gold also sounds like a good idea. I see the possible issues with it so why not make it a common pool of gold amoungst alts with a small % like 10 or 15 going through to the main.

Also would it be possible to nominate an alt to play in strat as well as your main?
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline SquishMitten

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Mew, Kitty + many more
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08:13 pm »
I wish to consume my alts, om nom nom nom

In memory of Merciless_Mew, member of Merciless, ruler of Istiniar

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »
Next suggestion:

Make Generation XP-Bonus global not only at the one you got it.

10 Gens on one Char => 10 Gens XP Bonus on every other Char.
3 Gens on Archer 4 Gens on Shielder 2 on Rider => 9 Gens XP Bonus on every Char.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »
Next suggestion:

Make Generation XP-Bonus global not only at the one you got it.

10 Gens on one Char => 10 Gens XP Bonus on every other Char.
3 Gens on Archer 4 Gens on Shielder 2 on Rider => 9 Gens XP Bonus on every Char.

Once you pass 16 gens, though, this bonus is obsolete.
Though I hate playing my alt because it doesn't benefit my main, at all! No gold, no looms, nothing. 1%xp from alt to main shouldn't be so bad? I mean that's like 20 xp(average) per tick. You won't level your main by it, but you'll get a small benefit from playing on other classes.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:27 pm »
Just put all your heirloomed items in the same pool, shared with all your chars. When any char retires, you get a new "global" heirloom point. That way you can play your alts to get looms for your main, or other alts. But the high-gen char will still grind xp faster.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 09:29:00 pm »
couldnt we make alts be able to participate on the market?  would be good enough for me to play them frequently...
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 10:11:45 pm »
I find it interesting that many of the people who complain about X class are all for this change. What do you think happens the day there are bonuses implemented for having an alt? Say hello to everyone have a full level alt for every situation. You thought ranged was bad now? Wait until everyone in a clan can pull out their shelf archer/xbowman. You think one crushthrough weapon is bad? Watch the enemy team leave and rejoin all with new names and weapons perfect for the situation!

I think alts are really for fun and the restrictions they have keep this from becoming a ridiculous game of "who has the best alt for the situation". If you really think about it the whole concept of banner balance makes this a possibly terrible idea for gameplay.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »
I have a full level alt for every situation *smugface*
Besides horse archer... need to level that gal back up.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »
I find it interesting that many of the people who complain about X class are all for this change. What do you think happens the day there are bonuses implemented for having an alt? Say hello to everyone have a full level alt for every situation. You thought ranged was bad now? Wait until everyone in a clan can pull out their shelf archer/xbowman. You think one crushthrough weapon is bad? Watch the enemy team leave and rejoin all with new names and weapons perfect for the situation!

I think alts are really for fun and the restrictions they have keep this from becoming a ridiculous game of "who has the best alt for the situation". If you really think about it the whole concept of banner balance makes this a possibly terrible idea for gameplay.

Changes that would make playing alts and switching classes easier would go a long way towards balancing the game. Now, issues are very hard to spot because people aren't free to play what they think is best. Making it easier to switch chars would let all the balance problems appear very clearly.

If we had a class system ala Native and everyone was playing as archer, then hey, maybe devs would nerf archers.