Author Topic: STRATEGUS - mercs should bring their own equipment to battle  (Read 2696 times)

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
STRATEGUS - mercs should bring their own equipment to battle
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:37:07 am »
Now that the equipment in cRPG has changed quite a bit, I'd really like to see this, and I think it feasible.  I'm just not quite sure on the proper implementation.  Basically, a merc in a strategus battle should have to bring their own equipment to battle.  This will make mercs more unique and valuable and help people get a reputation.  Maybe you can count on one guy as a great heavy cavalryman, so you are willing to pay him lots of gold.  Another might be a skilled 2 hander or archer that you can count on.  Of course, this would mean you'd need to pay them a lot more gold.  But you wouldn't have to purchase as much equipment for the battle.

IMO this has several benefits, in addition to making mercs more unique and not just another number.  For example:

It makes things more realistic and fun, I hope at least.  I know I'd like it.

It will make mercs more cautious in battle, since their equipment is there own.

Groups/clans will get more recognition, and they will be able to use their own "uniform" and use their own tactics as a squad.

Mercs will bring more variation in the equipment and weapons seen on the battlefield, and may lead to some maneuvers that take the enemy team off-guard.

Now, how to do this exactly, I'm not really sure.  Maybe the easiest way is to make it just like a cRPG battle; you bring your own junk, and it can break and need repairs.  Alternatively, have players buy their own stuff on strategus and use that equipment, not their cRPG stuff.

Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: STRATEGUS - mercs should bring their own equipment to battle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 02:45:16 am »
I support this.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:52:16 am »
You are confusing mercenaries with the players that represent my army here. The people that I hire are just there to represent each of my nameless soldiers.
Your idea would be fine if the mercenary that will use his own items is near the battle on the map, and uses his own tickets (if he runs out of his tickets, he can use my tickets and my stuff). Somehow like joining a battle in singleplayer, but without being forced to transfer stuff like it is right now.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 03:22:59 am »
You are confusing mercenaries with the players that represent my army here. The people that I hire are just there to represent each of my nameless soldiers.
Your idea would be fine if the mercenary that will use his own items is near the battle on the map, and uses his own tickets (if he runs out of his tickets, he can use my tickets and my stuff). Somehow like joining a battle in singleplayer, but without being forced to transfer stuff like it is right now.

I love this idea, a Merc could use its own equipment only if it is next to the battle, it may also work for the commander (some "cRPG heroes" would be recognizable).
In principle the idea of operating as single player can also bring another tactical dimension;
The geographical position of the character becomes more important if he wants to participate in a battle with its equipment and troops.
For reinforcements, the commander of the reinforcement army must participate in the battle, it is blocked, it can not just "drop" of the troops and leave (even: if the player does not participate in the battle in-game, then its tickets are not involved in the battle either).
If there is a maximum number of troops by players, then they must work together to perform large-scale attack.
Also lone players become more attractive to clans, they can provide real support in the battle.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:18 am »
I love this idea, a Merc could use its own equipment only if it is next to the battle, it may also work for the commander (some "cRPG heroes" would be recognizable).
In principle the idea of operating as single player can also bring another tactical dimension;
The geographical position of the character becomes more important if he wants to participate in a battle with its equipment and troops.
For reinforcements, the commander of the reinforcement army must participate in the battle, it is blocked, it can not just "drop" of the troops and leave (even: if the player does not participate in the battle in-game, then its tickets are not involved in the battle either).
If there is a maximum number of troops by players, then they must work together to perform large-scale attack.
Also lone players become more attractive to clans, they can provide real support in the battle.

Genius!!! implement!
Just a soldier

Offline Tholgar

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Hold your shields up high!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: Thorlghraarl
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 08:18:34 am »
+1

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »
Perhaps as a commander you could designate your roster as "B.Y.O.G." or "Bring Your Own Gear". 

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 01:55:41 pm »
All the crafting/trading system would turn useless and we'll have the old strategus back.

Offline RagnarLodbroke

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RagnarLodbroke, Mr_Heineken,SeriousPanda
  • IRC nick: RagnarLodbroke

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 03:29:48 pm »
All the crafting/trading system would turn useless and we'll have the old strategus back.

I somewhat agree with you, but it will work only IF you are near the battle.

Or to nerf this, and for the good of crafting : you can bring only ONE weapon of your inventory (and only if you are near the battle).

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »
 - Players that brought their own gear and showed up should be automatically paid the hired wage.
 - Since gear gain system supposed to be way different than just buying it, gear supposed to be way more valuable
 - Commanders can choose to give their soldiers a bonus afterward.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »
If I fight an army of the fallens, I want to fight an army of fallens. Not the usual costume party we get on the crpg servers. A few mercenaries that have to be close on the stratgus map to be able to bring their own stuff are fine, but if everyone is able to bring stuff, its the same as crpg with bannerbalance.

Offline verinen

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Verinen
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 05:32:46 pm »
It's good!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:33:56 pm by verinen »