Author Topic: One of a kind  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Reyiz

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Smell of Money
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rainbow
  • IRC nick: Jewianna
Re: One of a kind
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:58 am »
I really wanted to play as a horse thrower and i made a char. Untill level 26 it was ok, i used to have about 50k gold, after hitting level 26 the golds melted down so quickly and i couldnt repair my stupid horse  :cry:
then respec'ed and made it foot thrower which i like very much :wink:

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 01:30:05 am »
I have been Javalry since just after chadz, in his wisdom, paired with Jest to make an NA cRPG server. I've seen it go from just myself, to a large contingent, to nothing, and now I see it on the rise. This is good!

If you want a javalry build I can share mine with you. If you are planning on making your own, remember that it is really, really difficult to find and pick up spent shots, especially when being circled by lance cav.

My build :
(click to show/hide)

Tips :

Don't bring any thing that is not sheathable, including a lance. Javelins(or w/e) are meant to be used before melee, and you will have to drop your lance if you see a light cavalry offer a tempting shot, or see a shield wall you can pass behind to break up with your javelins.

Carry a melee weapon. While you MAY be able to find one when you are out of ammo, you have to slow down quite a bit to pick things up off the ground, which can get you killed (usually by ranged).

A shield is a HUGE help to javalry. If you get caught by melee cav that is on a faster horse (or many), you can use your shield to catch their lance, then toss a javelin into their face. It can also save your life when you don't have time to hit x and try to downblock with your throwing weapon. It can also save your bacon vs a horse archer, though they will usually just aim for your horse.

Take advantage of the fact that Javalry can throw a bit to the RIGHT of their horse. You can often catch a piker or lancer with this move. Act like you are charging them, then peel off a bit to the left, toss, and keep riding.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 01:34:56 am »
In regard to upkeep, it really isn't that bad, as long as you use a cheaper melee sidearm or keep a few stacks of cheaper throwing.  4 stacks of throwing lances on a warhorse will bankrupt you, but 2 stacks of javs and a bastard sword on a destrier can be maintained, as long as your armor is reasonable.  I make money on mine, though I wear awful armor and use a cheap horse (demands of my clan equipment rules and all).

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:03 am »
+1
As we are talking builds here I will add mine in too ;)

lvl 30 - Str 15 , Agi 21

skills to attributes : 2

IF: 0
PS: 5
Shield : 0
Athletics: 2
Riding: 7
HA: 3
PT: 5
WM: 7

polearms : 100
Throwing : 144

masterwork javelins
Masterwork Warspear (well half a gen away :P)

White Lamellar
Leather Gloves
Splinted Greaves

Champion Arabian (though since upkeep is bothering me and I hate to go below 250k have been using rouncey recently)

been playing this build since I joined pretty much :/ bar through the dead thrower phase. I use the build as a lancer assassin due to the ability to down light horses in a few javelins (1 to the head works nicely) or just put a few javelins in the opposing cavalry's chest as they charge you, let the speed bonus of their charge do all the work for you :P

Then I can always go in with the warspear vs 1h cav and infantry, if really desperate go find a lance :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 02:08:22 am »
I'm a lancer (gay), and fucking hate thrower cav. It at least takes a while for a normal HA to take my [sexy] champion courser down. Thrower cav, however, fuck me up. Often they trot up just out of reach of mine lance, tease me into chasing them, and then throw sharp shit at my horses face.

Thrown weapons have always been one of the most effective, but underused, counters to cavalry.

And as much as thrower cav make me rage, I do admire the uniqueness of the build, and its coolness. As somebody who deliberately goes out of his way to stab javalry, I very much suggest that anyone interested in trying that class get a shield, and a very maneuverable horse. And never stop moving, which means don't run into melee cav while trying to get a good throw in. Most of the javalry that I've killed were stalled out, or lacked a shield.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:34 am »
no need to waste pierce dmg weapons on archers, u should prob carry more heavy axes than javs or spears

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 02:34:55 am »
no need to waste pierce dmg weapons on archers, u should prob carry more heavy axes than javs or spears

Heavy axes on a horse? The point is partly to be authentic  :P

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 02:35:50 am »
throwing axes dont fly as far as javelins :/ alos they get used on whatever needs to be gone :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:07 am »
Heavy axes on a horse? The point is partly to be authentic  :P

Heavy Axes on a light horse.  Its not an organized army fighting tactic, but its been done before.  Most barbarian groups pretty much threw everything they could get their hands on and lift.

My HT build:

Level 31
Str: 18
Agi: 18

PS: 6
Ath: 6
Riding: 5
PT: 6
WM: 6

I forgo the shield for ammo and my preference of a 2h weapon.  The athletics is in there because throwing from horseback works best with lots of space, and because sometimes I get dehorsed (read: lots of times).  I like 6 pt simply because throwing spears have more ammo than any other heavy hitter.  Heavy Axes are my favorite though, because they are oddly effective against horse archers.  5 riding instead of 6 because according to tests I just did with Kophka, riding bonus is rather weak, and that is the requirement for the destrier.  7 works well too though, the arabian warhorse is an excellent horse for HT (drop 3 str, take 3 agi and put points from PS and PT into riding).

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 07:42:20 pm »
I tried it with masterwork stones once, but it is best with spear type throwing weapons. :D

I believe Templar_Osiris was doing this before I stopped playing.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1428
  • Infamy: 255
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13:53 pm »
Pebble_Pusher was my hero. Genuinely nice guy :)

One of a kind.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:21 pm »
ratign is pebbles...

and yea, aronvonthrowalot is javalry, but he's just one of Osiris's alts.
Turtles

Offline Mannhammer

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Only War is Eternal
    • View Profile
    • Forty Thousand Years In The Future
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »
Seems like a good build.
Hell it worked for the Norman's at the battle of Hastings.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:25 am »
Heavy Axes on a light horse.  Its not an organized army fighting tactic, but its been done before.  Most barbarian groups pretty much threw everything they could get their hands on and lift.

My HT build:

Level 31
Str: 18
Agi: 18

PS: 6
Ath: 6
Riding: 5
PT: 6
WM: 6

I forgo the shield for ammo and my preference of a 2h weapon.  The athletics is in there because throwing from horseback works best with lots of space, and because sometimes I get dehorsed (read: lots of times).  I like 6 pt simply because throwing spears have more ammo than any other heavy hitter.  Heavy Axes are my favorite though, because they are oddly effective against horse archers.  5 riding instead of 6 because according to tests I just did with Kophka, riding bonus is rather weak, and that is the requirement for the destrier.  7 works well too though, the arabian warhorse is an excellent horse for HT (drop 3 str, take 3 agi and put points from PS and PT into riding).

How much throwing/2h WPF? :)