Author Topic: No other way to say it...these new hitboxes are fucking terrible.  (Read 8326 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: No other way to say it...these new hitboxes are fucking terrible.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 06:33:24 pm »
+1
One thing that might explain why some people think they are glancing on their target in front of them is that prop/agent(behind or at the sides) bounces that are caused at a very early stage of the animation lead to an attack that is only stopped half ways of the animation. At least prop collisions can be identified with the sound(or lack of) though.

This is one reason that I like Paul. Paul will actually look at something and give a logical, reasoned response. Much better than just saying something like, "nope". The thing is, a lot of problems on these boards could be EASILY circumvented by some kind of change log and just by coming out with a reasoned response.

Record it, come back here and post it, then let him explain what it is or isn't.

I totally would if I could, this machine just isn't up to the task. My theory though, is all of the odd behavior is entirely due to lag. Due to differences in ping, your computer differs from the server as to where people are and where swings are going. Anyone who has played with a bad ping has noticed swings passing through people and attacks going through blocks. That shit just happens, nothing anyone can do about it. With these new animations which make it easier to hit teammates and obstacles I think that the above problems are exaggerated. I've done an overhead to someone in front of me and a teammate on my left diagonal got hit. That's just one example. So in essence, everything is working correctly. However, due to my computer differing on what is actually occurring it looks wrong to me when it is in fact working as intended.

I DO like the idea of more logical weapon behavior. Weapons hitting what they come in contact with makes sense. The problem is that with the animations, weapons are swung in illogical ways. The characters swing weapons in this game like they are fighting off a swarm of bees. When you combine the two it makes for some messy behavior. If the swings were more controlled - maybe by introducing some more of those animation updates - I think it would make a lot more sense. As it stands right now, it makes it annoying and needlessly difficult to fight in melee in a melee-oriented game.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 06:38:26 pm »
hitboxes were fucked up at least 3-4 patches ago.. its still the same, sucky.. get used to it, start abusing animation :D

This, I don't understand why people are just now noticing this.

Loki brought this up to chadz many months ago, and it was found to be a problem in the core game and has nothing to do with cRPG.

My arrows and slashes pokes and bashes still occasionally pass through people just like before.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
Lightsaber strikes now apply to all weapon types.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 07:09:41 pm »
One thing that might explain why some people think they are glancing on their target in front of them is that prop/agent(behind or at the sides) bounces that are caused at a very early stage of the animation lead to an attack that is only stopped half ways of the animation. At least prop collisions can be identified with the sound(or lack of) though.

Is it possible to have the animation stop when the collision occurs rather than later in the animation sequence?

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:58 pm »
Lightsaber strikes now apply to all weapon types.

They've always applied to all weapon types.

Something that would really help with telling if you're snagged on a wall or team mate, make a SOUND for it. Coz right now it doesn't even make a noise your weapon just kinda flings back n forth oddly. xD

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »
In the PW mod it was realy laggy server side... and alot of stuff didnt get registered.
I think it was Vincenzo, that was asked if he could ran over the coding. And he removed some accesive stuff and clutter etc, and now that mod is running perfectly fine.

Maybe CRPG coding needs to get rid of some clutter. I think its not the hitboxes that are broken, but i think its so much coding spam, the servers dont register it.

Like last test strat battle.... my chat dissapeared alot of time, jsut because of the error spam etc
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »
my chat dissapeared alot of time, jsut because of the error spam etc

I think that's more of a server side mute.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:44 pm »
I think that's more of a server side mute.

Nah wasnt. even the kills etc didnt show up.

Only way to read is is by using chatlog
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 10:08:38 pm »
is it possible that inefficient code is causing the missed swings and shit?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:27 pm »
is it possible that inefficient code is causing the missed swings and shit?

Yes. Imagine your server running the game, computing bank transfers, encoding videos and finding new prime numbers. Code inefficience has no bounds, especially in indie game and mod development.

Nah wasnt. even the kills etc didnt show up.

This is related to the way the ingame chat works. When a line is added everything is upped in slow motion, then appears and dissapears over time, not height. So when your chat is spammed, things go up, up, up, even over your screen limits before they actually appear. If you wait a little bit you'll see red text raining.

Offline Serth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Serth
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:34 pm »
+1
I dont have any problems with hitboxes, but i have a massive issue with lagg switching my blocks about.. I dont know if im the only one with the problem :|

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2011, 11:04:20 pm »
Perhaps I merely overcompensate in my swings but I never slash through players without connecting.  Perhaps it's just because I play on servers with very nice ping?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:43 pm »
+1
I dont have any problems with hitboxes, but i have a massive issue with lagg switching my blocks about.. I dont know if im the only one with the problem :|

I get it too. I don't think it actually switches the blocks about, just the animation.. but essentially it's the same thing, as you think the block is wrong and try to adjust it, you get hit.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2011, 11:42:20 am »
+1
I get it too. I don't think it actually switches the blocks about, just the animation.. but essentially it's the same thing, as you think the block is wrong and try to adjust it, you get hit.

This.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:33 pm »
I haven't noticed anything new.

However, there are a lot of people who seem to have come to similar conclusions (partially) independently. I'm not saying a mass of people is always right, but this wouldn't be the first time coding changed more than expected, no matter how sure you are.

I don't think it's fair to completely discount this so quickly.

reading this thread, i must say my own conclusion and form what ive seen is that '' small corridors'' has been mentioned, of witch i think of siege, of witch i think of how fucked up eu2 has been lateley, these no hit but i should have stuff occured prepatch to, when server was to my feeling overloaded and serverlag was present.

what i have to say about katana, = obvious thomek lobbying has been awnsered: katana buff and throwing damage ''fixed'' the ninja has been reanimated.

my oppinion is that these changes are good, maybe katana abit op thow: saw a few full blackarmored people spam the shit out of all on siege with katana.

but weps not being spammed through walls/doors/floors! GREAT

work on your footwork bit*hes!!

people jsut must be more aware of theyr surroudnings. also applys to all the cav whine lateley.

ranged still fucked up op thow, and all who say different are imo cun*s, massive growth in ranged lateley outweighs eny argument u fairys can make.

other then that imo only the 1slot mace needs knockdown removed from it, its a spam weap of witch from experience knockdown procs like half of the hits. boom hi im ranged but i will just own u in melee to , thx for giving us our sword of kamalot devs, we fairyboys  are so happy , can we plz bow your arrow.