Author Topic: Questions about Archery changes. (Is it really buffed?)  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Fatwalrus

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Questions about Archery changes. (Is it really buffed?)
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:36 am »
I'm a little confused about why this is an archery buff. My server still hasn't updated so I haven't had a chance to actually test it all myself (and finding a changelog for the patch has been difficult). So feel free to tell me if I made some stupid assumption that isn't in the patch.

One of my characters is a pure archer (meaning 21/21 with points in PD, Ath, WM and nothing else). Despite having a longbow, the 1 extra arrow to kill a random tincan was not worth the overall damage drop/drawspeed loss for me vs 80% of the other other players prepatch. So I just used rus bow all the time, the piercing changes don't really affect me much (it's nice but usually not worth the overall damage hit).

To me it seems like I now have -1 damage on bow, -1 damage on arrows, no jump draws (true?) and +2 missile speed.
This isn't just a subtle way of complaining, I would like someone to explain it. I just don't know why other archers are calling it a buff.

Is it because large scale games you don't need the mobility and are fighting lots of tin cans (I played some NA_crpg1 recently and its completely different to 15vs15 games)? or is it just the people who use lower tier bows that feel buffed because they now have a piercing option to use with horse archery/hybrid melee when they normally would never use jumpdraw anyway?

..or is there something I just don't understand like "the speed bonus from +2 missile speed compensates for the -2 overall damage, and jumpdraws are still in game"?

Thanks.

[Edit: and I agree indefinite jumpdraw kiting was stupid, but if you are an aggressive mobile archer (not just an archer who camps way up on some walkway) it was a vital part of normal (non-kiting) combat]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:42:31 pm by Fatwalrus »

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Questions about Archery changes. (Is it really buffed?)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:33:22 pm »
If you don't use bodkins you no longer do pierce-damage, even with longbow. So the archer-buff for the longbow-users is almost nonexistent.

I am using mw hornbow (27 cut) and mw bodkins (4 pierce) so i deal 31 pierce-damage now and that is a great buff for me.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:10 pm »
The 1 slot bows got a big buff.  Rus Bow got a big buff.  Long bow did not get much of anything.

I imagine some internal tweaking will be needed for balance.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »
Yes, the patch changed the longbow from the most powerful bow to simply an option among bows. Thank goodness.

I was tired of archers being the only class who only had 2.5 viable weapon choices (Rus, Horn, Lonbow).

Offline Nelo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Nelo
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »
At least it is a longbow archer nerf because of the damage change on bodkin arrows.  :?

Only difference between Longbow and Rus Bow is that the Longbow has 2 more dmg and 1 more missle speed but 9 lesser speed  :?

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
Honestly I find that the long bow is now useless, who the fuck would give up 9 drawing speed for a mediocre 1 missile speed and 2 damage increase.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:37 pm »
My hp went down by half with one arrow, wearing lordly cuir bouilli and lordy mail gauntlets. No speed bonus, medium range. So I guess it's not all that bad.

Offline Fatwalrus

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:11 pm »
Rus Bow got a big buff.

Im curious about this part, is this just vs armour or overall? cause i didnt think there was much difference between pierce and cut when mainly dealing with light armour.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 05:26:27 pm »
Yumi Bow is still less missile speed than both the power draw 1 bow, and 2. I'm guessing that's coz of the weeaboo factor or whatever. xD
IMO though Yumi Bow is useless and needs a buff to missile speed to at least match the short bow and bow.

Rus bow>Long bow IMO Longbow could use price decrease, or rus bow price increase, just switch positions on the tier of items.

Offline Nelo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Nelo
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 05:45:32 pm »
just buff the longbow a little bit so that he is on the same position like the rusbow

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 02:02:04 am »
+1
Im curious about this part, is this just vs armour or overall? cause i didnt think there was much difference between pierce and cut when mainly dealing with light armour.

Pierce damage is reduced less from armor than cut.  So against low armor people it's probably very similar, however against heavy armor pierce will really start to out perform.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:13 am »
I played archer before this patch came (changed back to 2h couple of days before cuz I found it boring to pew pew) and I had some really good k/d ratios too. Archery was well balanced IMO! The archers needed that jump-shoot nerf but why this sudden huge buff? I just don't understand why at all!!?? This buff also made the longbow completly useless compared to rus or horn... The balance was good before, just revert this non-sense to pre-patch with the jump-shoot disabled.