Poll

Is ranged ruining your fun?

Yes
No
I play as ranged

Author Topic: Is ranged ruining your fun? (poll)  (Read 5764 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: Is ranged ruining your fun? (poll)
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:12 am »
+1
Yes, yes it is actually. Ranged had it's role in real life, but this isn't real life. I play M&B because it's MOUNT and BLADE, not ARROW and THROW. The point of the game is to have a fun, skill-based melee combat, not durrr run after someone who runs faster than you and then range kills you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 01:59:03 am »
Yes, yes it is actually. Ranged had it's role in real life, but this isn't real life. I play M&B because it's MOUNT and BLADE, not ARROW and THROW. The point of the game is to have a fun, skill-based melee combat, not durrr run after someone who runs faster than you and then range kills you.

I don't see Armour nor axes or even shields in that title bro. Funny how you are raging about something put in by the game designers themselves.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 02:01:14 am »
+2
The point of the game is to have a fun, skill-based melee combat, not durrr run after someone who runs faster than you and then range kills you.
There's a point to playing video games? Man, and here I thought I was crazy! In reality (aka in my opinion), I'm pretty sure people come back and keep playing cRPG because it is fun how it is, if you don't like it you don't have to play it.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 02:02:19 am »
No, ranged is not ruining my fun.

In fact, it's where most of my fun (kills) come from :mrgreen:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 02:04:29 am »
Oblivious to how big the Melee community is.

Melee takes skill
Ranged takes far far far less skill.

Melee requires putting yourself at risk to the enemy (melee range means you can be hit by melee as well.  Along with ranged still)
Ranged requires putting yourself at far far less risk (Only vunerable to other ranged.)

Melee combat vs FPS point and click combat
Every gamer has years and years of FPS experience.  Melee combat is fairly goddamned recent.
Big difference.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 02:08:42 am »
It makes me go rage but without ranged , this game won't be fun for me.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2814
  • Infamy: 2338
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 02:09:47 am »
Every gamer has years and years of FPS experience.  Melee combat is fairly goddamned recent.
Big difference.

QFT

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1687
  • Infamy: 2067
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 02:16:08 am »
+2
Also archers aren't only problem with ranged.

There are enemy archers whose arrows I have to avoid, then there are friendly archers whose arrows I have to avoid, same for xbowmen, same for throwers. And on top of that there are 1h cav backstabbers and lancer backstabber. So I need to have 8 eyes in my head to be able to spot any threat that's comming my way. Not cool not cool at all.

Did I mention friendly melee players, 90% of them being idiots who teamattack regularly...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:17:32 am by Leshma »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 03:45:09 am »
Did I mention friendly melee players, 90% of them being idiots who teamattack regularly...

Indeed.  However I'd change it to just "teammates" as friendly archers are often more dangerous to you than enemy archers.  What with feeling the need to shoot into the melee combat you finally managed to get into after dodging all the anti-melee threats (cav, ranged).
Friendly cav are often more dangerous to you than enemy cav, what with feeling that they are better than infantry and thus ride over their teammates in order to try and get the kill on the enemy in the melee combat you finally managed to get into after dodging all the anti-melee threats (cav, ranged).  *Huey for example  :P  Love you Huey, but you are a fuckwad sometimes bro.  :)*

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 04:58:43 am »
Melee takes skill

Melee requires putting yourself at risk to the enemy (melee range means you can be hit by melee as well.  Along with ranged still)
Ranged requires putting yourself at far far less risk (Only vunerable to other ranged.)

Big difference.

This has no relevance to my post - or even me.

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 05:01:52 am »
No not really. I hate the living shit out of them but on the other hand raging is where the fun is. Especially that one RuConquista cunt  :twisted:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 05:14:18 am »
Melee only servers are tiring. You get one big mash up, round ends. big mash up, round ends. Usually degrades into fist fights, chilling out typing, and occasionally fighting. You quickly get a sense of whose the best duelist(s) who will subsequently win all the rounds. Meaning, no fun for everyone on the other team because their just going instadie in that persons presence. So they go to battle. Where skill with a lightsaber isn't enough to singlehandedly win rounds. Horsys, ranged, and teamwork all conspire to balance the game.

Duel and Melee only servers just get boring after a while. Battle is more random, hence less boring. But then again, I haven't played for 2 weeks.

Offline Inequity

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: kampgrounds of america
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 05:28:25 am »
Melee takes skill

Big difference.

lmao look at this guy who's never played ranged in crpg

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:36 am »
+1
lmao look at this guy who's never played ranged in crpg

He made a bunch of skip the funs and leans back glances at the screen and takes shots every now and then and is expert, shush you.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 05:49:33 am »
He made a bunch of skip the funs and leans back glances at the screen and takes shots every now and then and is expert, shush you.

More accurate than you probably realize, except all but the latest one were levelled normally.  The leaning back and getting free kills from taking ranged shots is pretty accurate though.  I'm fairly sure you would remember that on Moneyshot, both on foot and as a HA my KDR was quite nice.  Maybe not some crazy 25/3, but even 8/2 is a 4:1 ratio.

Expert though?  Nah.  I will rape face in any real FPS though if anyone is up for it.  More interested in those since ranged is the whole point and there's far more frantic pacing to it with proper movement elements like:
On-demand sprinting (with or without stamina drain)
Prone
Crouch
Leaning

etc.

This has no relevance to my post - or even me.

The relevance comes from the fact that melee requiring far more skill means that it induces far less rage, regardless of how big the community is compared to ranged or cav.

If anything, having a larger melee base than ranged and cav means that perhaps the majority of players in M&B aren't raging butt-pirates and come to the game for the part of it that can't be found anywhere else:  Melee

There's a billion ranged games out there.  They're called FPS's.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:52:01 am by Gorath »