Author Topic: Add Ballista for Castle Defenders  (Read 2083 times)

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
Add Ballista for Castle Defenders
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
+5
The caption is enough I guess. Make it similar to catapult; in means of being built by construction site and materials. The rest and details are up to you, I allow you.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Add Ballista for Castle Defenders
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »
+7
Thanks for all your work. The rest should be easy for us.

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:01:06 pm »
Thanks for all your work. The rest should be easy for us.

No problem :)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »
I sense great sarcasm in this thread...

(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:25:49 pm »
Great, they already got arbalests and longbows and pikes, now ballistas? Heavy Cavs are going to be non-existent, I say!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 04:39:26 pm »
Great, they already got arbalests and longbows and pikes, now ballistas? Heavy Cavs are going to be non-existent, I say!
I doubt that. They would require LOADS of dudes to build it so you won't see them in public sieges (and battles wont have enough spawns) to build it. It's the same with catapults. The only place we would see them would be in strat sieges and probably a few strat battles. Then again if they are as slow and clonky to use as the catapults (which I find a nice and balancing thing) they wouldn't be usefull against anything that is moving. Maybe against shieldwalls or pikeformations that are stationary. But horsemen? Then they would be doing it VERY wrong I say.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »
the biggest problem with them is how to balance them.

I mean if they are siege equipment killers, who would still buy siege equipment as attacker.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »
Stupid people, that is who.

Then we can have a couple of arguements on the forums that result in catapults being buffed to where everytime you make one, it gives you two more complete with siege shields.

Then we have a couple more threads, and then both catapults and ballista are nerfed hard, with catapults just giving you one, and ballista have a terrible reload speed and only 8 shots.

Then we have more threads where people complain that catapults are are useless now after the nerf (forgetting that they are as strong as they originally were) and that the ballista are gimmick weapons.

I think I can see the future.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
+3
Ok nuff being sarcastic, I shall talk more seriously.

The reason why I posted this suggestion was my observation on how people wished to have some defense mechanism on their castles in strategus battles. I really cannot foresee how the new wall implementation shall effect the sieges, therefore I will explain my ideas depending on the current wall system.

Firstly, we may want ballista to be less powerful than catapult. I guess everyone can agree on that. Properties may be;

1) the ballista being stationary, therefore having less degree of freedom both in control and localization.
2) could only be deployed on walls with enough space
3) throwing big arrow-like ammo unlike catapults hurling rocks ( much like an oversized siege arbalest )
4) being able to damage only players and player made structures ( siege shields, catapults, ladders etc.)
5) having much shorter range

The other properties could be the same with catapults, like unlimited ammo, being made of dozens of construction material and other stuff.

Assuming that all my enlisted properties are implemented, the attacker side shall still be advantageous over the defenders in means of siege equipment. As ballista crew will be limited to build their weapon only on walls, attackers will have the choice to start their attack on the ballista spot. Also, attackers are already given the chance to relocate their siege equipments if a ballista has been constructed against it. As the ballista is stationery, this will make the defenders to lose one of their ballista in means of being useless after all. Unlike the catapult firing system ( arch-shot ) the ballista will require a clear view in front ( like crossbows ) and this will avoid a complete shield-wall to protect it.

So after all, ballista will not be an indestructible and over powered siege equipment but a weapon of choice for the defenders to have a chance against the incredibly effective catapults. 

Like all any improvement or addition to this game, this system shall be criticized and there will be people asking for you to nerf it. But eventually a balance will be brought and we will gain another fun to play equipment in cRPG.

I'm a computer engineer myself and know the means of coding and debugging and all the hours it takes away from your very soul. Therefore I am just suggesting this new feature naively. :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:31:13 pm by BattalGazi »

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »
I doubt that. They would require LOADS of dudes to build it so you won't see them in public sieges (and battles wont have enough spawns) to build it. It's the same with catapults. The only place we would see them would be in strat sieges and probably a few strat battles. Then again if they are as slow and clonky to use as the catapults (which I find a nice and balancing thing) they wouldn't be usefull against anything that is moving. Maybe against shieldwalls or pikeformations that are stationary. But horsemen? Then they would be doing it VERY wrong I say.
I just wanted an excuse to be melodramatic, need not mind my words :mrgreen:

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 07:34:05 pm »
I just wanted an excuse to be melodramatic, need not mind my words :mrgreen:
Don't worry. I'm a heavy cav myself. I ain't going away. EVER! xD

the biggest problem with them is how to balance them.

I mean if they are siege equipment killers, who would still buy siege equipment as attacker.

Good point and reasonable problem. I think what BattalGazi said would be the way to do it (if you are gonna do it) by making it worse than the catapult and VERY situational. It should NEVER be the "bestest siege equipment) but rather somnething that will only be usefull in VERY specific situations. Maybe make them require a LOT of materials? Like 3x the amount for a catapult? Non-moving and slow firing?

Although I HAVE to say that I am VERY biased here. After all, I LOVE playing around with siege equipment and just want some more of them xD

Also; Trebuchets?

Offline OttomanSniper

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Greek_OttomanSniper Roof_Monkey
  • IRC nick: _Sniper
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »
...and castle defence need multi rock thrower whell less catapults. Castle wars not fun, attackers always win, its too easy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 07:45:35 pm »
...and castle defence need multi rock thrower whell less catapults. Castle wars not fun, attackers always win, its too easy.
Actually that would be really fun. Some kind of "rock basket" or something where you could always spawn stones to throw at the enemy. Or a stone container thingie which you can tip and lose a hail of stones on people close to the wall. Kinda like in Stronghold :D

chadz, I know you like Stronghold. Make this more like Stronghold :D

(click to show/hide)

Offline OttomanSniper

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Greek_OttomanSniper Roof_Monkey
  • IRC nick: _Sniper
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:05 pm »
Actually that would be really fun. Some kind of "rock basket" or something where you could always spawn stones to throw at the enemy. Or a stone container thingie which you can tip and lose a hail of stones on people close to the wall. Kinda like in Stronghold :D

chadz, I know you like Stronghold. Make this more like Stronghold :D

(click to show/hide)

...and fire pits  :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile