Poll

I would rather...

play on the NA side, the NA_cRPG_3 server gives me better pings
376 (36.6%)
play on the EU side, the EU_cRPG_3 server gives me better pings
651 (63.4%)

Total Members Voted: 1027

Voting closed: September 16, 2011, 08:55:42 am

Author Topic: Strategus wipe - new features - vote for your continent!  (Read 75505 times)

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: Strategus wipe - new features - vote for your continent!
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2011, 02:19:36 pm »
Here is a new map i found that fits the NA community.

(click to show/hide)

and get them some archers and a bunch of AI horsearchers as well.

Another person who thinks Canada doesn't matter. Nor Mexico or the central American countries, but they don't speak English as a primary language.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2011, 05:08:05 pm »
Here is a new map i found that fits the NA community.

(click to show/hide)

and get them some archers and a bunch of AI horsearchers as well.

hah we kicked them injins out before, well do it again
Just a soldier

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2011, 05:10:26 pm »
hah we kicked them injins out before, well do it again

Maybe we should make the Californian settlements into a Chinese ping server.  Wait till you try to fight for those places with 330 ping  :twisted: .
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »
What this mod desperately needs is to be brought down completely (even the battle servers), for a period of 2-3 weeks, maybe even a month, and getting intensively worked on (the Strategos part at least). People are way too itchy, nervous, blinded and addicted so this would be a perfect rest & refreshment from the game. Then, after this time expires, you give 'em a new, better version of Strat with numerous bug fixes, new map and all that, accompanied by a full database wipe so everyone gets a new fresh start and things become very interesting again. That's  the only proper way of handling it, if you keep listening to no-life grinders who just wanna keep their "hard earned" virtual generations/looms/whatever you'll never get it right. That's just my opinion, I'm not getting into any arguments here.

I get what you're saying, but a game of this kind can only really be tested under "real world" conditions. Sure, you have the beta testers for the first rounds of testing, but you never know what will happen until the players get ahold of it. You need to have both in order to know what works and what doesn't.

Like it or not, we're all 2nd round beta testers. chadz and co. have no obligation to do any of this work, so I'm willing to be a part of the guinea pig machine in order to get it right.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:48 am »
Because Canada does not exist  :rolleyes:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2011, 04:21:20 am »
really do need more land. i dont wanna see the EU super friend alliance holding 70% of the map then deciding to crush the war torn NA region.

We (Greece) Shall hold them (Persia) out !
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »
What's the actual aim of the EU/NA split?

If it is just about promoting EUvsEU/NAvsNA and discouraging EUvsNA then i'm not sure a split will be enough.  There's plenty of people out there for hire that mean an EU clan could attack an NA fief and hire NA fighters to do the work.  Or vice versa.  An EU/NA alliance could also be really overpowered as if attacking an NA clan, the EU ally can attack using the NA ally's members for the battle, whilst the NA clan being attacked can't easily attack the EU clan back without an EU ally of their own.

I can think of a few solutions to this that might help.   Personally i'd like to see them all.

1)  Force clans to have a max of 25% of their roster filled by non clan members when attacking.  I don't think this should be applied to the defending army's roster as it would serverely hamper small clans abilities to hold onto land.

2)  Severely tax the transfer of troops from 1 clan to another.  I'd say this should happen anyway as it discourages silent partners in wars.  Before anybody complains you will still be able to make deals for troops if you just factor the tax into the negotitions.

3)  First of all, code the game so that whenever you take a fief you can pick either the server of the closest fief or the server of the 2nd closest fief to be the server of the newly captured fief.  If both these 2 closest fiefs have the same server then obviously there won't be any choice in the matter.  If they are different, you get a choice but once you have picked there is a 1 week cooling off period before you can change it.  This makes the border between EU and NA slightly dynamic which allows the game to react to changes in NA/EU population.

However, in order to make this a less favourable option than staying on your own side of the divide I suggest doubling troop upkeep for armies that are closer to a fief that has a different server from that of the closest fief owned by the army's clan.  Bit of a difficult one to explian so i'll give an example. 

Say that Yalibe is EU and Reindi Castle is NA.  If the EU clan wants to attack Reindi Castle then once they get closer to Reindi Castle than Yalibe, they will have to pay double upkeep.  If the EU clans decides this is fine, proceeds with the attack and takes Reindi Castle then they will be able to choose which server they want to set the castle to.  They get this choice because Yalibe is the 2nd closest fief and it is EU, whilst Ehlerdah is the closest fief and is NA.

If the clan decides to set Reindi to EU then the double upkeep rule will still apply if they decide to push on and try to take another NA fief.  If however they decide to keep Reindi Castle as NA then they will be able to push on without worrying about double upkeep so long as Reindi remains in their possession.

This rule is complicated because it is the only way I can think of to implement any kind of increased upkeep rule without punishing clans with both NA and EU members.

Offline Flawless

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Cavalieres Co-Founder and Commander
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Flawless and Cavalieres_Undead
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »
+4
The only real solution is a separate continent. The issue with NA vs EU is the time difference and ping difference. Na and Eu players have to fight a horrible times(4 am or 1 pm anyone who has to work or has school cant do this) to fight each other and most use that to their advantage and do it on purpose. The Ping difference provides one side with a tremendous advantage also. Manual blocking is very difficult with 180+ ping. So most sides adapted to a ranged strategy when on bad ping OR enlisting an EU clan to help. But a third issue is that strat is over populated as it is now. The seperate continent would provide some space for small clans to be active and even solo players to have some fun instead of being pushed out by all the 50+ member clans.

So, I ask that in the final strat we have a separate continent!

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »
The only real solution is a separate continent. The issue with NA vs EU is the time difference and ping difference. Na and Eu players have to fight a horrible times(4 am or 1 pm anyone who has to work or has school cant do this) to fight each other and most use that to their advantage and do it on purpose. The Ping difference provides one side with a tremendous advantage also. Manual blocking is very difficult with 180+ ping. So most sides adapted to a ranged strategy when on bad ping OR enlisting an EU clan to help. But a third issue is that strat is over populated as it is now. The seperate continent would provide some space for small clans to be active and even solo players to have some fun instead of being pushed out by all the 50+ member clans.

So, I ask that in the final strat we have a separate continent!
^ This x2.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2011, 03:45:29 pm »
Not this.

It would just benefit the smaller continent. (if you were referring to two continents of the same size).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:47:01 pm by chadz »

Offline Flawless

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Cavalieres Co-Founder and Commander
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Flawless and Cavalieres_Undead
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2011, 04:20:18 pm »
Not this.

It would just benefit the smaller continent. (if you were referring to two continents of the same size).
Im thinking more along the lines of almost two separate strats. So continents that are unable to interact. 

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:29 pm »
yeah.

That's not possible, because why should the smaller continent have an advantage (of having more space)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »
+1
What does it matter, really? What will be unbalanced so much by that?

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
just saying, I agree completely with splitting the timezones and give some lands to eu battle server and some other to na battle server(I would like also neutral zones in the line between na and eu btw with the current sistem)but imo having one strategus per country would kill part of this game and also limitate the diplomacy metagame

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2011, 04:53:33 pm »
+1
yeah.

That's not possible, because why should the smaller continent have an advantage (of having more space)

If you have a borderlands that can change like you mentioned before, but did it with the mirror image map it wouldn't favor one group over another.  If EU has more ACTIVE members than they would take those borderlands fairly quickly and convert them to EU ping.  Or you could even draw the line a 1/5th of the way into the other half, but the main thing is we really really need more space on the map for the number of players we have.  Right now almost 2/3rds the clans never even had the chance to own so much as one village and by the end only 1/10th the clans even had 1 fief.  COmpact space like that very heavily favors massive clans over smaller clans, whereas more space gives greater power to smaller clans as its harder for larger clans to hold larger spaces.

Plus with the new gold features having more land is not really an advantage as its just more you have to protect with limited amounts of gold.  But it would allow many mid- to small- clans a chance to own a fief, which adds to the diversity of the map instead of only having 16 fief clans because all the advantage goes to 200+ member clans in an overly crowded map.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:57:48 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo