Author Topic: Website needs a few tweeks  (Read 517 times)

Offline RobotN1XON

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • "The secret ingredient is crime"
    • View Profile
Website needs a few tweeks
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:07 am »
First of all, the password field in login should be changed to type "password" so it doesn't display it in plain text.

Secondly, if the passwords have been leaked, that's probably because you were storing them on the server in plaintext. in the PHP code, run the sha1() function, then store the hash in the database under "password". Then, when someone logs in, run the function again on the password they're attempting to log in with, and compare the sha1 hashes. that way if anyone gets into the database, all they'll see is the encrypted string of the password, and no more password leaks.

Thirdly, might be worth adding some Ajax into the character page. Gets kinda tiring having to constantly reload the page every time you change an attribute or want to view items in the shop.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: Website needs a few tweeks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:59 am »
and you think the devs are not aware of such features as the "password" type or how to manage a database i mean you could have just writen please update the character page, no need to throw all the smart stuff in.

then again i agree with the part that the page could need some updating and the security overall is hurting my brain but i totally think it's for chadz amusement so i will accept it as lowest priority :mrgreen:

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:12:31 am »
Go download Heraldix eye-candy and hp is fine...

Got no clue about the security thing you talk about, but I guess there is a reason it ain't implemented.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline RobotN1XON

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • "The secret ingredient is crime"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:51 am »
and you think the devs are not aware of such features as the "password" type or how to manage a database i mean you could have just writen please update the character page, no need to throw all the smart stuff in.

Why don't they use it then?

Got no clue about the security thing you talk about, but I guess there is a reason it ain't implemented.

And you sir sound very well informed. Password leaks don't happen when you have an encrypted database.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:12:04 am by RobotN1XON »