Author Topic: The Catapult gameplay dilemma  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: The Catapult gameplay dilemma
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:25 pm »
it takes a fucking long time to take down a wall with a catapult...

catapults make  sieges way easier

erm...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »
it takes a fucking long time to take down a wall with a catapult...

erm...
Only because it takes time first to build the catapult and than to adjust the aim.

What i'm trying to say is catapults were introduced (and that's good, no doubt) in cRPG/Strategus to make sieges more versatile and intense, but right now they do the exact opposite. Not to mention that if you give one side a tool, you need to give the other side something too in order to keep the game balanced. IMO catapults  when used properly > any castle defences right now and the scenario of every siege is going to be the same eventually. Why try to capture the gatehouse and open the gates if you can just bring down the whole thing ?

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »
see the video SPQR linked, maybe if the wall was sectioned off like that, and once it had taken so many hits from a catapult it was destroyed, plus you could give each catapult a limited amount of ammo, that would be pretty cool, now, bring out the trebuchet and bring the rest of those walls down...

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »
Ask HRE about "Catapults making sieges way easier" thing...
We destroyed 7 catapults of them trololol.Kill engineers,charge at catapults.You can even destroy catapult with coordinated ranged spam ffs .Most of the castes have an inner wall also and most of the walls have exterior wall which protect the main wall.There are also stakes etc...
Don't exxagerate castles some of them made of WOOD !
Pray equus africanus asinuss that they didn't add Trebuchet on this game ;)
... Why try to capture the gatehouse and open the gates if you can just bring down the whole thing ?...
That's the exact same reason that people invented siege machines.

edit:
Actually partial damage on walls would be nice,with 1 hit seeing the whole thing going down is a bit of lolz anyway.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:18:19 pm by koyama »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »
+1
Meow is working on that cool new wall project of his, should be out soon.  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:28:36 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 08:34:02 pm »

edit:
Actually partial damage on walls would be nice,with 1 hit seeing the whole thing going down is a bit of lolz anyway.

And exactly why some sieges went on for years.

You see , it was a technological race (which eventually was won by the artilerry that rendered the castles useless) , but atm in Strategus the attackers have the obvious technological edge =).

P.S. Can't wait to see the partial damage thing work too.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 08:38:30 pm »
They would be fine if they just made a hole in the wall instead of the entire wall section coming down which currently enables attackers to flood in basically as if it was open plains and the castle no longer existed.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
saw a catapult hit wall like 8 times today and it got ALMOST down, so what the hell are u talking about?

his point was that 8 large boulders, 2 feet in diameter, is not going to completely raze a castle wall that is made of mortar and stone.  In strategus it does just that.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gingerpussy

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 251
  • Infamy: 224
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Gingerpussy
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
the main problem is that you guys see the Castle siege as it is now. And that is very wrong because they will be very different when they have faction owners. Limited ammo i don't agree on, simply because its stupid.

Hollowed walls will be in future and i am guessing maybe smaller catapults on the walls for the defenders.
Possibility to open doors is a MUST as i see it. Many Castles would have Cav as part of there defense.

For now its fine, just not when AI owns the Castle/Town. It will be 5 times harder to take from faction even with more troops.

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:26 pm »
the main problem is that you guys see the Castle siege as it is now. And that is very wrong because they will be very different when they have faction owners. Limited ammo i don't agree on, simply because its stupid.

Hollowed walls will be in future and i am guessing maybe smaller catapults on the walls for the defenders.
Possibility to open doors is a MUST as i see it. Many Castles would have Cav as part of there defense.

For now its fine, just not when AI owns the Castle/Town. It will be 5 times harder to take from faction even with more troops.

I generally agree with this. Right now for neutral castles it poses a problem since defenders are rarely organized to the point of being more than a small bump in the road. You try taking another faction's castle on the other hand, you know those two catapults are going to come under tremendous fire from ranged, defensive catapults, and infantry/cav sallying out to attack them.  I would say wait until more faction vs faction battles occur to determine if catapults really need to be nerfed or not.
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »
Catapults are not OP, otherwise DRZ would have taken the FCC castle in the first try instead of the constant repeat of D-Day.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline SPQR

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA
  • Game nicks: CSA_Gen_Robert_E_Leet
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:58 pm »

Being able to open the gate I think is important, for two reasons:
1) Give the attackers an alternate entry method besides catapults
2) Give the defenders a way to sally out and destroy siege equipment
"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow to fondle it." - Robert E Leet

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
Being able to open the gate I think is important, for two reasons:
1) Give the attackers an alternate entry method besides catapults
2) Give the defenders a way to sally out and destroy siege equipment

An open/closeable gate would do the trick I believe (and allow catapults to be left alone).  Ranged, sallying, and counter-catapults need to be fully vetted before saying there needs to be a nerf on catapults.

I retract my earlier post.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 01:19:59 am »
What if we just invent a new type of seige equipment that repairs a castle wall at a slower rate than a catapult can destroy it? Let's say we make a Brick Stacker that takes 150% as long to operate as it does to pull a catapult's arm back? So in a head to head race with a single catapult and a single brick stacker, the catapult will win. Hence you'll need 2 brick stackers to keep a wall up against a catapult. But then the enemy could just bring more catapults. Basically, it will be a huge gamble on how many catapults and how many brick stackers you want to bring to the seige. Or the attackers could opt out of bringing catapults and bring seige towers and ladders instead while defense wastes money on brick stackers that immediately become useless with no catapults. I think this would add some nice hard decision making to the game. Also, it makes spies a strategic advantage. If you have somebody in the enemy faction to tell you what equipment they're bringing, you can buy specific equipment to counter it.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 02:41:25 am »
What if we just invent a new type of seige equipment that repairs a castle wall at a slower rate than a catapult can destroy it? Let's say we make a Brick Stacker that takes 150% as long to operate as it does to pull a catapult's arm back? So in a head to head race with a single catapult and a single brick stacker, the catapult will win. Hence you'll need 2 brick stackers to keep a wall up against a catapult. But then the enemy could just bring more catapults. Basically, it will be a huge gamble on how many catapults and how many brick stackers you want to bring to the seige. Or the attackers could opt out of bringing catapults and bring seige towers and ladders instead while defense wastes money on brick stackers that immediately become useless with no catapults. I think this would add some nice hard decision making to the game. Also, it makes spies a strategic advantage. If you have somebody in the enemy faction to tell you what equipment they're bringing, you can buy specific equipment to counter it.
What happens if the attacker makes a brickstacker and attacks the wall? Can he make the wall fly high above in the sky? That would be hillarious. Also what does a brickstacker look like? Does it shit bricks?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia