Author Topic: NA SERVERS OFFICIAL THREAD  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
NA SERVERS OFFICIAL THREAD
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:15 pm »
+1
I've read most of the topics, and heard most of the complaints.

Most of you know me, and for those of you who don't....I used to be the guy who did the unbanning rather than the other way thats so popular. Recently change in my personal life has made it difficult for me to give full attention to the ban list which is frustrating to some (mainly the ones who are banned).

I'm here to discuss and state my opinion on the so called ATS servers.

Fact 01. How the hell did ATS get the permission to run a server?
(click to show/hide)

Fact 02. How do the rules get determined? And who picks the admins?
(click to show/hide)

Because of the bitching that has been going on, its had me cross examine the situation. I've noticed a couple of things.
(click to show/hide)

The solution will be as follows:

I will be leaving due to personal reasons for a time period not yet determined.

Gash_ATS will be taking up my role. He's a good guy, unbiased, and respectable. The only problem some of you might have is that he is french Canadian, other than that, treat him with respect like most of you have me.

The Hospitaller 100 Man server will combine (if Devilize approves) with the rest of the NA server ban lists, besides STO.

New admins will be appointed. Gash_ATS will pick 6 admins, and Devilize will picks 6. Then at the end of the day they will both look at the lists and discuss any disputes. PLEASE NOTE: These lists will not pertain to just ATS or Hospitaller. I know for a fact non ATS members have already been chosen.

Further more, if there is any questions please direct them to this thread. This isn't a thread to ask to be unbanned, or a thread to mock or troll. Constructive suggestions are requested.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:48:09 pm by Ecko »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
Re: NA SERVERS OFFICIAL THREAD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:21:57 pm »
Thanks for the clarification and infos Ecko.  I'll speak for the many others that I am sure appreciate, as I do, the time and effort you and other admins put into keeping the servers an enjoyable place to play.  I've adminned for CS and DoD servers back in the day and I fully understand how impossible it is it be a "good admin" since you're either lazy for not enforcing the rules 24/7, or an abuser for trying to.  Good luck with all the transitions.  I know the MOTD for this game is fairly unsophisticated, but a list of active admins somewhere might be helpful so we know who to talk to when there are issues with a player on the server.  Whatever the case, thanks again for all your work.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »
I wish i had enough room to list all the active admin chars. Unfortunately there are so many admin alts i can't keep track. However there are some admins listed on the forum list.

Offline XavierX

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: XavierX, Tycho, Javier, Zeus
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:01 pm »
I wish i had enough room to list all the active admin chars. Unfortunately there are so many admin alts i can't keep track. However there are some admins listed on the forum list.

I would refrain from listing any non-tag wearing admin alts. It is much easier to catch people in the act of disrupting gameplay if you are not wearing one of the notoriously admin-linked tags. It also will allow for you guys to take less heat clan-wise for otherwise doing something no one else has the stomach or dedication to do.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:36:58 am »
Both great points.

Offline Nindur

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northern Empire Rebellion
  • Game nicks: N1nd3r9
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:41:50 am »
Well every admin action shows to the server so they wouldn't be incognito for long :P

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 09:03:54 am »
Nice thread.  I have a lot to say but I am at work right now.  Look forward to a long reply later.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:14:03 am »
But you forgot to mention that Devilize started his server using the ban list from the ATS server, and then made changes as the days went by (bans and unbans)

I was perma-banned from the ATS server around 3 months ago because Garguro dislikes me, whilst I regularly play on Hospitaller's server.

So personally I am against this change, as it would once again cause me to be banned from all NA servers. Just keep things the way they are, it's working out fine currently.

And IIRC a large number of people have a problem with getting banned by Garguro for no reason, a problem that doesn't exist on the Hospitaller servers.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:47:37 pm »
Eventually the non ATS admins either went inactive, or joined ATS on their own accord. With ATS becoming more active and the other admins disapearing, it became known as the ATS servers.
Today, Garguro and I still run most of the NA servers, but I maintain the fact that there are non ATS admins who through their own accord delegate their own time.
However 99 percent of the admins you appointed that are not in ATS seem to be in your allied clans.  Which is pretty much the same as ATS?
The most popular of which are:
No Tking/Friendly Fire
No Round Delays
No Racism

We've also dabled in:
No slander
No homophobic remarks
No inappropriate names
No false clan tags
and Clan banners are Reserved for clans.

However, those rules were deemed to hard to enforce and have been removed for the most part.

This is not true I am still banned by one of those rules that you said were removed.  Apparently EyeBeatWomen is too harsh of a name considering you go around in this game and hack up female players to bits with and axe.  :shock:

Since I can not specificly create a rule for everything, a general rule was enabled to help catch the fuckers out in the community who push everything to the limit and it was called the:

No DoucheBaggery Rule.
Ah yes... this is when half my clan was banned for no apparent reason.
Many rules have been tested and have failed due to the required administration needed to enforce them. Since this is a learning curve for us, most of you have allowed us to make our mistakes with only mild teasing but others have taken it personally. That was not my intent.
Unfortunately many of your admins never use the "Kick" feature.  It works wonders.  They are very quick to use the "Ban" feature.  Also sometimes when you warn people in chat they are not paying attention because they are playing the game.  Being an admin myself...  I wait till the end of the round to issue warnings to players.  I use the kick function multiple times.  I have never had to use the ban function. 

You have to consider that there are limited amount of servers for this game.  The fact that your ban lists span across many different servers is retarded and a bad idea.  Especially when Strategus starts up which will be a joke since your admins that you appointed are abnormally strict.  Especially for a competitive game like this. 

Not everyone is going to prance around like a carebear with a name they took from the World of Warcraft random name generator in character creation. 
(click to show/hide)

Now onto the more important thing that most of you would like to know:

Who the hell picks these horrible admins?

Well...I do, or garguro. And we normally talk about it before hand.
I mean how normally?
This has however, resulted in Admins who have been appointed but have either abused their position
How many threads did it take to make you go:  "hmmm maybe appointing Lorne as an admin was a bad idea..."

I am sure everyone is curious.  It took you quite a while to get rid of him as well.

Secondly, Many of you dislike ATS since the admins who have been ATS are normally more strict, or flaunting about their power. I've only seen a few cases of abuse, and normally they are minor cases.
Minor huh?  You don't say....
Third, Hospitaller suggested that they try managing the 100 slot server, and though i find this a great idea, it has stemmed problems like a non universal ban list, or game admin disputes.
How would having a non universal banlist be a problem.
Having the Hospitaller server seemed like a good gesture at first.  Then I realized you had to make the ban list universal.  So basically it just looks like a cop out.  The people you guys dislike on the 80 man now are banned on the 100 man.  You can stack against pubs on the 80 man and not worry about hospitallers being on the other side since they have their own server.  I see right through it.

I myself have played on the 100 man for a while. Enjoyed it and just played the game following the rules as usual for a few weeks at least.  I accidentally clicked the siege server instead of Hosptitaller server.  Instantly I am like "oh shit this is a ATS server".  Check the players... no ATS players.  Eh maybe I will check this server out.... I haven't played siege in a long while. 

30 mins go by and I get banned by an admin from NK your allies.  That is fine I guess.  Head back to the 100 man to play.  Play for a few hours and log off for the day.  Log back on the next day and I am banned from that server as well.  Devilize updates his rules with name violations. 

I mean you guys are just one big circle jerk.  If you want to spread out the responsibilities give the server to someone that is not allied and cupping your balls.  Let someone else have a chance to make a server with out ridiculous rules.
I will be leaving due to personal reasons for a time period not yet determined.

Gash_ATS will be taking up my role. He's a good guy, unbiased, and respectable. The only problem some of you might have is that he is french Canadian, other than that, treat him with respect like most of you have me.
It is like you are George W. Bush handing off a huge ass mess to a Canadian Barrack Obama.   :D
The Hospitaller 100 Man server will combine (if Devilize approves) with the rest of the NA server ban lists, besides STO.
Horrible idea.  I know I am not the only one that agrees with this.
New admins will be appointed. Gash_ATS will pick 6 admins, and Devilize will picks 6. Then at the end of the day they will both look at the lists and discuss any disputes. PLEASE NOTE: These lists will not pertain to just ATS or Hospitaller. I know for a fact non ATS members have already been chosen.
All these admins will be nk. ATS, and Hosp.  Guaranteed.
Further more, if there is any questions please direct them to this thread. This isn't a thread to ask to be unbanned, or a thread to mock or troll. Constructive suggestions are requested.
Fix your mess before handing the torch to someone else.  Competition makes more of an effort to better your staff and servers.  Take ScotTFO for an example.  He is making a HLStats script for Warband among other things he has up his sleeve to make his server unique compared to yours.  See if you had an admin team that focused on stuff like that  instead of constantly flexing their epeens it would make this mod and game better.

LOL I just made a Gorath style massive post.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline FuFu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Skilless_Spammer/ Hospitaller_FuFu
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:12 pm »
It makes sense to me that the owners of the servers would pick admins from players in there clans/allies.  These are the players they have had a chance to get to really know and trust.  It would be very difficult to pick random admins out of the community and still be able to trust that they will do a good job at it.  A fun little fact though that ive learned from adminig Devilizes server is that the majority of players that were being asshats on the ATS servers were being asshats on Devilizes server as well....go figure. 

The truth of the matter is that there is a very vocal handfull of players that day after day cause issues on the servers and in turn come to the forums to scream "ADMIN ABUSE".  The vast majority of C_RPG players just want a troll free server to play on.  A server they know wont allow asshats to come ruin the time they have to play.  ATS has done this very well.  Hundreds if not thousands of players come onto the servers day after day and never get kicked or banned.

The community has a server to go to that has little to no rules on it, ScottTFO server.  The thing is if anyone has noticed it normaly has almost no players in it!  Why is that? Could it be that the majority of C_RPG players dont want to play on a server without rules, that they feel ATS and Devilize's server rules and admins are fair for the most part??

At any rate here is a thank you from me to the server owners for the good times im allowed to have on your dime and the server admins that get abused while trying to keep the server troll free for me to play on.
Thanks again!

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:19 pm »
Good post Ecko, Hope to see you again in the future
Just a soldier

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »
I was perma-banned from the ATS server around 3 months ago because Garguro dislikes me, whilst I regularly play on Hospitaller's server.

Garguro has pretty much stopped playing crpg. I have played with you many times, and don't specifically recall you being a douchebag. If that is the case, I'm sure we can get you unbanned. And if you don't routinely cause problems on the server, I doubt you'll find yourself banned again.

Personally, I've never banned anyone without fair warning, followed by a kick, and another warning. Anyone I've ever banned has argued with me when I politely told them what the rule is, and firmly told them to follow it.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Dreakon_The_Destroyer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Kiss my Axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Dreakon_ATS
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
love the NA servers. admins seem great to me. appreciate the good ping too ( im in chicago ) thanks for getting these kickass servers up n running :D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)

You're banned cause i don't like either.

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »
But you forgot to mention that Devilize started his server using the ban list from the ATS server, and then made changes as the days went by (bans and unbans)

So personally I am against this change, as it would once again cause me to be banned from all NA servers. Just keep things the way they are, it's working out fine currently.

And IIRC a large number of people have a problem with getting banned by Garguro for no reason, a problem that doesn't exist on the Hospitaller servers.

You should consider posting an unban request under the NA ATS servers.