Author Topic: Cavalry is clearly way overpowered  (Read 23591 times)

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
Re: Cavalry is clearly way overpowered
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:55 pm »
Shall we go over yet ONE MORE TIME exactly how terrible the warband sound engine is and the lack of directional/surround sound?  HMMM?   :rolleyes:

can do if you want but its hard coded and it really isnt silent as everyone seems to claim :P you can still hear it coming and thats when you should start looking around
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »
I only read the first 70 posts or so, will read the rest later.

The thing is, cav has inherently VERY good qualities. I think cav would be very hard to balance. I think other classes need to be able to do better against cav without a pike somehow, like making it harder to bump people or something like that. I think slowing down while bumping is a huge nerf and should be treated carefully.

Said before, but in the beginning, cav can choose their battles. They can lance a guy and quickly turn away, out of reach.

When there are more than 1 cav, you can't rely on the sound, at all. Cav sounds louder on your sides, and are pretty silent behind you, from my experience. You could be hearing a friendly cav on the other side of the field, then get  lanced from behind. This also creates confusion when there are a bunch of friendly and enemy cav around.

I also see a lot of pikes not doing their job right. I learned that it's easier for pikes to simply protect and stay close to the teammates than just look for/kill cav. Prevent cav from getting close. It's definitely hard to do, since the people you're protected many times make unwise decisions. That's why pikes/shielders should be more in front to protect everyone from the cav and ranged.

Also, even if you have a pike, it's hard to keep track of everything, and even you could get backstabbed by a cav even if you were doing 360s the entire round keeping a watch for them.
A lot of pikers do play correctly, but not enough, so cav players can still do very well.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11:41 pm »
The problem is not cavalry itself, but infantry spreading out, thus getting killed one by one easily. People need to think a bit and use tactics. I think it must not be that hard to form a circle or square with pikers protecting the team...

With all due respect, there are too many newbies in battle lately.

/repeats in roaring tone
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »
can do if you want but its hard coded and it really isnt silent as everyone seems to claim :P you can still hear it coming and thats when you should start looking around

Noone said it's "silent".  Seriously dude, are you trolling at this point or what.  There is NO DIRECTIONAL/SURROUND SOUND so if there is 2 or more cav on a map you will ALWAYS be hearing horses, whether they are 10000m away or right behind you.  The sound engine is shitty.  Period.  If your answer is to start looking around the moment you "hear cav" then you would do nothing but spin 360 circles the entire round because there is no directional component to the sound in the game that's worth a damn at all.

Seriously man, it's 2011.  Play any even half-assed FPS game and the directional sound engine is better.  In most you can pinpoint those footsteps behind you and on the 2nd floor above you from across the street (if you hear them over all the explosions and shit).  In this game, fuck, you're basically better off playing with no sound and listening to music the majority of the time.

And that's not even getting into the other sound engine problems:  The dude in plate and chain armor is just as fucking silent as the ninjass in the black robes and leather boots when he's running around your flank?  Surrrrre....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:19:52 pm by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2011, 10:23:32 pm »
Noone said it's "silent".  Seriously dude, are you trolling at this point or what.  There is NO DIRECTIONAL/SURROUND SOUND so if there is 2 or more cav on a map you will ALWAYS be hearing horses, whether they are 10000m away or right behind you.  The sound engine is shitty.  Period.  If your answer is to start looking around the moment you "hear cav" then you would do nothing but spin 360 circles the entire round because there is no directional component to the sound in the game that's worth a damn at all.

Seriously man, it's 2011.  Play any even half-assed FPS game and the directional sound engine is better.  In most you can pinpoint those footsteps behind you and on the 2nd floor above you from across the street (if you hear them over all the explosions and shit).  In this game, fuck, you're basically better off playing with no sound and listening to music the majority of the time.

And that's not even getting into the other sound engine problems:  The dude in plate and chain armor is just as fucking silent as the ninjass in the black robes and leather boots when he's running around your flank?  Surrrrre....

I cba to read this, we've had our differences gorath and I already know that your arguments are not suited to intelligent debate

edit : what the hell I like arguing :P basically warband is not an fps of 2011 it is a rpg produced on a relatively cheap budget released early 2010. The sound engine is not going to be state of the art and its something we cant change. if you hear hooves have a brief look around then continue, it does not require constant spinning. It is simply a matter of using all senses available but if you want proof of horse sound being at least in part usable then ask people whether cav gets them more with music turned on compared to off... I know my ratio raises immensely :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:30:29 pm by Lorenzo_of_Iberia »
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:29 pm »
gorath, GK are as brain damaged as LLJK try to be, dont mind them

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2011, 10:30:38 pm »

Apparently.  Either that or they have some super secret mod that completely changes the warband sound engine that the rest of us don't have...
Or they're cav heavy and lobbying.  /shrug

Either way cav are pretty well balanced in this mod, the only issues are due to the game engine itself and nothing we can change (afaik, perhaps the dev team has plans when WSE is out or something).

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2011, 10:31:42 pm »

Poop cant even remember back to the day where he rode an arabian so on the subject of sound minds... also hes sore from us putting him out of so many fights apparently :P
Your local Jav Cav

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
funny, i spend more time on my horse than i do on foot, and i usually do pretty well against cavalry when i'm dismounted, or simply playing as infantry, and that's with a 1 handed weapon, my desert horse dies when someone spits on it, i'm suprised it doesn't drop dead when it starts to rain, it's bad enough that i have to resort to using such a horse since the upkeep on any decent horse is just rediculous, it seems alot of people are having trouble with lancers, yet a nerf would effect all cavalry, as a 1 handed cavalry player, i have to get in close, maneuverability means alot to me since i have to dodge alot of pikes and such, so, less maneuverability and speed, if this nerf were to happen, i hope you also change the models...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2011, 10:37:52 pm »
Poop cant even remember back to the day where he rode an arabian so on the subject of sound minds... also hes sore from us putting him out of so many fights apparently :P

True...he used to constantly rage at us when GK first emerged  :lol:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »
i have to get in close, maneuverability means alot to me since i have to dodge alot of pikes and such, so, less maneuverability and speed

More speed and hp, far less maneuverability would still probably be the best way to rebalance horses *IF for some reason it's decided they need rebalancing*.  It's silly how tight their turning radius is and that they can stop on a dime and go from 0-60 in .2 seconds.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »
More speed and hp, far less maneuverability would still probably be the best way to rebalance horses.  It's silly how tight their turning radius is and that they can stop on a dime and go from 0-60 in .2 seconds.

That's the Arabian. It's a lot slower on all other horses. Don't generalise.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »
Gorath.. afaik fyi GK is a pure cav clan..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2011, 10:46:31 pm »

Kinda obvious *looks down at sig :|*

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2011, 10:54:33 pm »
That's the Arabian. It's a lot slower on all other horses. Don't generalise.

Actually I was speaking from the perspective of seeing so many coursers *coughHueycough* on the field going 200mph, stopping without slide and spinning 360 degrees in .2 seconds in order to attack any side at will.

Well still trying to give the benefit of the doubt that they're not just lobbying from bias.  It happens.  Hell Chaos is pretty anti-ranged yet we still feel it doesn't need anymore nerfs and in fact probably needs to change back to pierce damage (perhaps a slight reduction in the damage number to balance it if needed, but pierce nonetheless)....
just less people using it ffs.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:56:37 pm by Gorath »