Author Topic: Balance Polearms  (Read 7005 times)

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
Balance Polearms
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:12 pm »
even read about the real awlpike

Awlpike(IRL description from book)-
Also known just as a "pike" and a Morris pike (corruption of Moorish), this is an infantry spear raning from 16 to 22 feet in length.  Awl Heads are usually leaf- or lozenge shaped.  The pole is made of a strong wood, such as ash.  Many pike heads are made with two tongues of steel, nailed down the sides of the shaft in order to prevent the head from getting hacked off.   The grip is often bound with cloth and the butt capped in steel to prevent the shaft from splitting.  The awl pike has the DUBIOUS distinction of being the SLOWEST polearm available.  add this to its MEDIOCRE damage against man-sized opponents, and one is left with a weapon of QUESTIONABLE VALUE, except when used EN MASSE on the battlefied.

INGAME= ridonkulous awesome dueling 1v1 weapon of death, plus hell you have 2 pike users, oh shit no one can stop u now lol (like IRL, o wait you'd get raped IRL with only 2 slow ass unwieldy pikes that do poor damage)

IRL= slow ass poor damage weapon, only useful in large formations(we're talking 4 rows deep, the real advantage of "long spear" type weapons, total suck in 1v1 due to slowness, bad damage)

seriously the way pikes are used now(long spears, bills), something should be changed,

I PROPOSE

Make all pikes/long spears/english bill/flamberge/halberd 3 slot weapons (to stop people from being able to carry 2 big ass weapons into battle, pikemen rarely had anything, maybe a dagger/short sword as backup)

OR

Make almost all polearms non-sheathable, this would also solve alot of problems (not to mention there is no such thing as a bec de corbin sheath, never was)

AND

lower spear damages back to pre-boost levels, with the new armor pierce is best damage instead of blunt, and we need a corresponding value change or else you really haven't made it where people take lots of hits

OR

Lower spear speeds, one big problem that can't be fixed is that polearms easily cause hits due to their hitbox flaws right a the 0 range, Walt's testing showed in the first 1/3 of a thrust the 2h animation doesn't deal damage, but the pole does, this is what causes those inch stabs with polearms, slowing their speed would help mitigate the faulty hitbox

OR

we can all just play "The_Last_Polespamurai" game that we got now (I was The_Last_Polespamurai, so yea I know how totally easy polearms are now compared to other weapons, destroy shields, kill all horses, duel just as fast as the greatest 2hs, use a shield and a red tassel spear and carry a poleaxe on your back into combat like some kind of hyper POLERAMBO
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:38:38 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Most pikes are questionable in 1v1, why not ingame?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »
+3
Sounds like 2h lobbyism to me.

No-sheath to almost all polearms? Are you crazy? This would screw polearms up, and favour 2handed greatsword spam even more.

Hitbox flaws are on the to-do list when WSE comes in.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:06:07 pm »
+1
INGAME= ridonkulous awesome dueling 1v1 weapon of death...

And this is the part where you fail. Learn to play.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:10:30 pm »
Also, bringing up a Realism argument to only Polearms is okay, but there is no problem with the 360 degree 2h pikestab at point blank, right? That is realistic.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:14:14 pm »
+2
Realism rarely belongs in game balance discussions, you'd have to overhaul every aspect of the game according to realism if you want realistic traits for weapons.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »
Another pole whine? Come on, just go with the flow.

And ye, i went poles after 8gens as sworder, i see some people still owning with swords, but i need lot more practise to get to that level  :mrgreen:

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
I love how as soon as players migrate to using less used or different weapons the calls for nerfs aren't far behind. I got tired of using regular 'swing' polearms and so have been using spears more often to try and bring back some interest to playing. Well...we can't have that! Now spears are OP..too fast etc etc. Predictable.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:41:36 pm by Lichen »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:39:14 pm »
Sounds like 2h lobbyism to me.

Look who it is.
Kronic has always been a mega troll for 2h elitism and superiority (and just an asshole in general).
The supposed "book" he quoted looks like it was written by a 2nd year high school dropout so it's probably a big pile of bullshit, and the comment about being uber pro 1v1 dueling weapon is just a huge load of fail and lol.

In short:  Fuck your 2h elitist bias Kronic.  You're just mad that the game isn't 100% 2h dueling all the time from now until forever amen.   :rolleyes:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »
+3
Long spears and pikes need to be fixed still, the spinning BS at point blank and the jiggling of it and be able to hit is retarded.

Just a soldier

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »
+1
Long spears and pikes need to be fixed still, the spinning BS at point blank and the jiggling of it and be able to hit is retarded.

The overhead needs to be fixed for sure, absolutely.  Going through teammates 50% of the time is bullshit.

However the spinning BS at point blank and jiggling of it applies to ALL weapons.  2hers, polearms, pikes, even 1hers to a degree.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 11:52:18 am »
The overhead needs to be fixed for sure, absolutely.  Going through teammates 50% of the time is bullshit.

However the spinning BS at point blank and jiggling of it applies to ALL weapons.  2hers, polearms, pikes, even 1hers to a degree.

Yeah. Lets fix that too. Like asap. Surely they can put off the slow replacement of all ranged with crossbows for a patch or two while they work on getting rid of that?
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »
+1
>awlpike in game= Ahlsphiess or "awlpike"
Awlpike =/= 16 to 22 foot pike in reference of this topic

Ahlspiess typically had a 5 foot to 6 foot shaft and is designed largely for 1v1 combat. A spear developed during the time as a plate killer, and of course its design is to not let the haft get knocked & chopped.

god damn it DrKronic. You always deliver.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »
+1
Hmm. A one second google search brings me a wiki article of the awlpike saying:
"The ahlspiess was used in other countries as well, including England, and was a popular weapon along with the pollaxe in tournament foot combat among armoured knights."

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 05:26:02 pm »
no I use a pike/polearm as well, its just straight better than 2h because you can switch out the pike for a dueling size(read 2h sized) weapon and have best at both worlds, or wield a shield/spear to be immune to ranged and then again switch to dueling sized polearm

Oh yea Devs, the guys that came out to blast this, BTW, are in order

Joxer, who only uses a pike, well duh of course douchebag you're not gonna want anything but status quo

the gay that plays "canyoublockdown" well no shit again all you do is play the longest polearm with a poleaxe on your back of course you wouldn't want any balancing

lol Fatty Gorath who ALSO plays a Red Tassel Shielder with guess what, A Poleaxe on his back

well no shit Sherlocks, I doubt any of you want the Divine Polearm Sisterhood to be fucked with, hey man I change what I play every gen, I was lancer cav last gen, total polearm the gen before that (The_Last_Polespamurai dumb dumbs)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:33:20 pm by DrKronic »

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 05:33:59 pm »
in other words, getting "HELL NO DON'T DO THAT" from ugly gorath and company is like getting a "Yep, THERE IS A UNBALANCED WEAPON CATEGORY HERE" from the playerbase, in other words all I'm saying is........

REDUCE SPEAR THRUST damages to be inline with the armor changes, it isn't really even a nerf considering they got a boost from the recent armor change, its a true balance, also making the larger pole axes UNSHEATHABLE makes sense, and a slow down or damage nerf on the awlpike would bring it inline

Also Realism as an argument is used by these same people when it is convenient, remember how the original 2h animation wasn't realistic, crushthrough wasn't realistic, however its fine that your left mouse button won't work against the 13 skill shielder or that I can bring 450 length of weapons into the battlefield every round(that's a accepted feature of the game, wait wtf?)

well whatever, I will keep bringing my pike and poleaxe/greatsword whatever as theirs no reason not to, guess we are all supposed to be polearm users?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:32:18 pm by DrKronic »