Author Topic: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'  (Read 19073 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »
+1
When have I whined? I don't like where c-RPG is currently, that hardly constitutes whining. But for argument's sake, let's say it does. When have I whined apart from that?

posting about it on a public forum is whining, because you are crying about how bad CRPG is.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »
You only have to whine once to be a whiner! Now shush and eat your peas...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »
So... if a couple of shielders advance and a couple of dedicated 2Hers advance behind them as I have even seen plebs do... this should be an acceptable way for you to not get too shot up, right?

There are a couple of problems with this :

- shields don't protect that good. The shieldwall approach you describe is good vs one archer. But two (or more ofc) clever archers know how to bypass this.
- When the group encounters enemy inf, they are forced into combat. As ranged will camp roofs if they can, the attacking infantry will likely be raped by both having to dance and fight, even if the defending infantry is outnumbered. Furthermore, good infantry know that making that combat longer will give them an advantage, and it is very easy to slow down melee combats by restriciting itself to very simple attack schemes and being careful in general.
- Archers still can run in various directions. Those that aren't followed by inf can help running teammates. And if all are followed, the enemy inf is spread out and weak to cav.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
thats why ladders had to go from battles, its cav job to take archers not inf

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »
c-RPG currently:
Rangefest and if you by some miracle happen to get into melee you get stabbed by 15 longspears and backstabbed by cavalry. Oh yeah and melee is so fun too, craploads of people having 80 armor and the devs figure it'd be cool to reduce damage by the soak change. Can't wait for War of the Roses/M&B2, at the current state c-RPG is in I don't really find it fun except for very shot periods of time.

sounds like whine to me

Sounds like truth to me.

anything that's clothe and light armor is just fucking useless nowadays, I love clothes and light armor, it's all I wear but god damn, there's no way I can do shit, all I can do is rely on my athletics to not get shot by stray arrows that will one hit kill me or get punctured with several holes due to all that long spear spamming (which will also one hit kill me), also it's kind of hard to use TILDE when you're in the middle of USELESS BORING ENDLESS BLOCK BATTLE #12389747.

Problem with the current state of the game is the only way to not get one hit killed and actually be able to kill shit without needing 30 hits when you only take 1 to die, is to go FOTM builds everytime, which is the fucking epitome of fuckingboring.

So everyone has to go high strenght with above 80 body armor and all that shit, amazing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:13:57 pm by Patricia »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2011, 10:27:33 pm »
blame the veterans who sold all their heirlooms

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:05 pm »
...no to get shot by stray arrows that will one hit kill ...

How much STR and IF and armour do you have that arrows one shot you?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:19 pm »
+1
blame the veterans who sold all their heirlooms

The vets who sold their heirlooms merely found a loophole to circumvent upkeep, we should blame the devs for that.

Pre-upkeep patch, plate/heavy armor here and there, it's cool, they worked for it and it's not everyone.

Post-upkeep patch, upkeep to prevent plate/heavy armor from being overused, make plate/heavy armor more readily available, everyone and their dogs are using plate/heavy armor.

Not to mention the heirlooms are OP as fuck, using heirloomed light strange armor and I believe heirloomed gauntlets to +3, you can get to 50 body armor while still staying under the weight limit for wpf reduction.

The heirloom bonus is just stupidly huge, +7 to armor and +7 to gloves? What the fuck, a fun thing to note is also how light armor have a shitty heirloom compared to heavy armor, because light armor obviously needs less bonus and heavy armor obviously need even MORE armor, genius.

How much STR and IF and armour do you have that arrows one shot you?

And it really depends, I have 0 IF because I run an agi build since it's the only build I enjoy because I don't like FOTM strength crutching.
But I found myself getting one hit killed as much with my Brigandine and Wisby red gauntlets than when I use my red tunic.

I mostly hate the fact that the game completely catters to having more strenght than agility, because WM and ATH will only get you so far compared to being able to take a shitload of hits and kill in a few hits.

I've honestly counted the average amount of hits I need to kill anyone that's using your average plate/heavy armor and it can go anywhere from 4 hits to 30, and I'm not fucking kidding, I've had to fight NeoQC once or whatever, not only did I have to whack 15 times on his shield between each hits I got on him, he took 27 hits because of his stupid ass armor, meanwhile I die in one, I won but it was the most boring shit ever and burned me out from the game.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2011, 03:30:14 am »
+5
I really think the current problems with the game have nothing to do with item balance, heirlooms, or builds. Overall I think the game is pretty damn well balanced. I think the reward system is entirely at fault.

I don't think that anyone can deny that CRPG in its current incarnation is very grindy. Unless you have every heirloom you could ever want, it's always in your benefit to retire. With the massive reduction in gen bonus, retiring really, REALLY sucks. The amount of time it takes to level has increased dramatically. Now, we have a system where that can be mitigated by a large margin if you win. This has caused the playerbase as a whole to move towards winning at all costs. People will do everything in their power to win, which has brought about a lot of dickish behavior, powergaming and has taken away a lot of lightheartedness. You rarely see goofy, fun builds nowadays because winning has become paramount to everything. It also makes me sad when I see clans rolling the siege server (which is traditionally the playground for new players) just so they can have a x5 for a few hours. This shit has gotten out of hand.

I think the only way to fix this is to change the reward system that is currently in place. My idea is to change it to where each player regardless of weather they win or lose gets a base amount of xp after the round is over. Then, each person gets an XP bonus if they meet certain criteria. If their team wins, they get a bonus. If they perform exceptionally well (whatever chadz does to determine valor) they get another bonus and so on. That way, whether you're on the winning team or losing team, you'll get a fair amount of xp. This could help stop a lot of the bullshit that is currently going on and bring it back to being the best mod to the best game I've ever played.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2011, 12:03:13 pm »
I really think the current problems with the game have nothing to do with item balance, heirlooms, or builds. Overall I think the game is pretty damn well balanced. I think the reward system is entirely at fault.

I don't think that anyone can deny that CRPG in its current incarnation is very grindy. Unless you have every heirloom you could ever want, it's always in your benefit to retire. With the massive reduction in gen bonus, retiring really, REALLY sucks. The amount of time it takes to level has increased dramatically. Now, we have a system where that can be mitigated by a large margin if you win. This has caused the playerbase as a whole to move towards winning at all costs. People will do everything in their power to win, which has brought about a lot of dickish behavior, powergaming and has taken away a lot of lightheartedness. You rarely see goofy, fun builds nowadays because winning has become paramount to everything. It also makes me sad when I see clans rolling the siege server (which is traditionally the playground for new players) just so they can have a x5 for a few hours. This shit has gotten out of hand.

I think the only way to fix this is to change the reward system that is currently in place. My idea is to change it to where each player regardless of weather they win or lose gets a base amount of xp after the round is over. Then, each person gets an XP bonus if they meet certain criteria. If their team wins, they get a bonus. If they perform exceptionally well (whatever chadz does to determine valor) they get another bonus and so on. That way, whether you're on the winning team or losing team, you'll get a fair amount of xp. This could help stop a lot of the bullshit that is currently going on and bring it back to being the best mod to the best game I've ever played.

This. We can change this game for the better my friend.

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2011, 01:31:45 pm »
There are two situations where I have suffered at the hands of ranged being stacked on one side.

One case is pretty much any time I go on EU 1, which is a clusterfuck shitstorm a the best of times. The only other times are when I join a server and autobalance, or the lack thereof, has seen it fit to put all the xbow hybrid swordsmen and archers into one team vs another, at which point I try and persevere for about 4-5 rounds or a map change and then I go somewhere else or take a break.

Combined with some of the poor maps arounds, maps where one team is in a nice roof-camping friendly map comes to mind, I can understand some of the frustrations.

However despite the annoyance this can induce I can happily say that this is a lot more rare than people would like to imply.

Personally I think the best thing to do is just take a step back and get a handle on the rage, remind yourself that it still isnt as bad as native and also realise that most of the time the melee players are still topping the scoreboards more often than not.

In fact I went on EU 1 recently, there was a hailstorm of bolts and arrows and so eventually I went somewhere else, but for the brief time I was there I did notice that Templar_Lerva was on top with his 20-2, (of course I dont usually put much stock in score as the only basis for skill, but I do see it as a measurement for the successfulness of your build), and he is currently a two handed man with medium chainmail on and no shield.

But what do I know, im just recalling from experience and mine my differ to other people's. :P

ps: I would also rather people check out the wonderfully poor attitudes of people on the siege servers and wonder about that, as much as about the threat of ranged.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:33:00 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:46 am »
+4
autobalance is the worst, worse than cav, worse than arbalests, worse than fifty pikes on one team

more than anything bad autobalancing makes the game unfun, sure cav and ranged are annoying but when you have even amounts or even skill levels they're less annoying because cav tend to check cav, and so on. but more and more i see 10 guys on catas against 3 guys on rounceys. banner balance encourages this too, on NA at least. people notice which banner wins more and switch to it which fucks up the autobalance even more
FREE ALLERS

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2011, 10:08:36 am »
The worst!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:29 am »
What's wrong with autobalance?

(click to show/hide)

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:54 am »
What's wrong with autobalance?

(click to show/hide)

I see the point.
The T52 (not sure about the model) are a symbol for GK clan.
The solo protestor is a peasant (quite realistic, u cant see the butcher knife, too far away).

Banner balance is a gamebreaker 65% of the time.

Isnt it possible to create a more (not totally) class based balance, maybe?

About that lovin feeling:

Its different...maybe so different that a comparisson isnt right :-)

Crpg cheated on me when i got downgraded from lvl 45 to 30...
but, love is also really close to pain and a maniac like state...so who cares xD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:24:23 am by v/onMega »