Author Topic: Make ladders undestroyable by owner's team  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Make ladders undestroyable by owner's team
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:11 pm »
I suggest to keep track of wich team put up wich ladder. And that this same team can't destroy their own ladder. This will prevent a lot of rage from "unreachable places" and will add more teamplay (now an infantry must stay back to cover the ladder and it's access).
The worst thing about those unreachable places, is that, most of the time, people on top of it can go down without even hurting themselves (thanks to map-makers adding mini-roofs, for the visual effects). And i doubt a "buff gravity" would really solve the "unreachable" problem.  :rolleyes:

The only counter-argument i can find is : "It can't be done."

If, indeed, it's impossible to implement, then i wouldn't mind removing completely ladders from Battle servers. And if this too was impossible, but you still agree to the unreachable places problem, then give a warning to people destroying ladders.

If all the above possibilities are stricly impossible, then i wouldn't mind taking personnaly a look to ALL the maps in the battle server current rotation, and add an invisible wall preventing access to ALL roofs and other places unreachable by foot.

Seriously... unreachable places are, in one word : LAME.

Feel free to post your support, adding arguments, or your disbelief to the good of this suggestion, again posting reasons for such a choice.

PS : Don't use the "Another range-hate" as a counter-argument, i myself have played 7 generations of archer on my main, but i still found this unreachable places plain stupid.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Make ladders undestroyable by owner's team
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
+6
Sometimes a badly placed ladder has to be destroyed to make place for a better one or to prevent less observant teammates from wasting their time with it.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:42:00 pm »
Sometimes a badly placed ladder has to be destroyed to make place for a better one or to prevent less observant teammates from wasting their time with it.

True. But it has become quite rare, and this is mainly true in siege, when you need to put it in a very good position so that it's not destroyed, etc...
In battles, it is very rare to have to "aim" where you put the ladder.

Siege equipments don't have upkeep in servers, so it doesn't matter that much if you put one wrongly, you'll do better next round, will learn from your mistake, and will never misplace a ladder in the same map again. Benefit.
Can you tell melees to "learn from their mistake" when there's campers on a roof ?
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:47:07 am »
+2
Greifers could easily just place a ladder in the doorway of one of the harder maps and ruin the game for the attackers. Maybe cut the damage into quarters, so that it would be rare for them to be destroyed by a mishit or something.

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Adam_Bomb

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Im_With_Stupid, Someones_Alt
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:12:44 am »
Yeah its just no fair when ranged isn't stuck out in the open where they can't be massacred by cav... 

edit: Just for the record, I'm a ladder pacifist. I rather like forcing people to come up my ladder into a hail of arrow and bolt fire  :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:04:16 am by Adam_Bomb »
I don't know how you can watch with_stupid, every time i see him play i want to put infants in a blender.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »
+1
Greifers could easily just place a ladder in the doorway of one of the harder maps and ruin the game for the attackers. Maybe cut the damage into quarters, so that it would be rare for them to be destroyed by a mishit or something.

The issue that the OP is referring to, is only a problem on battle servers. I imagine it wouldn't need to be implemented on siege. And in that case, putting up a ladder in a doorway wouldn't impede the other team, because they would be able to break it. You can only annoy your own team, and in that case you would probably get banned and it wouldn't be a problem after that. I don't see the downside.

Ladders are fun. They make the difference between "ok, we're on this map, so the only good place for archers is this one roof." and "Ok, we're on this map. Let's use a ladder and set up an ambush from a different roof this time to surprise them.". Removing ladders would just be one more step towards a stale general gameplay.

I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:48:08 am »
I think that ladders should be removed from battle just because they seem to be useless imo... I never have any problems with unreachable spots on NA, since theyre normally too far to do anything useful or are badly placed...

However, they probably won't be removed... What if you held "F" to destroy a ladder instead of smacking it around? Kind of like siege map ladders? (Could be for everyone, or that teammates can only use F and not smack it).

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »
I agree to the fact that ladders bring some kind of strategy and such, but when they can be destroyed by their maker, the best strategy is roof-camping, and it's utterly lame and rage-inducing, and work-inducing for our dear admins. And we can't have that.
Speaking only in battle servers of course. It's rather well balanced on siege servers.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:15:19 pm »

The disadvantage of being unable to destroy badly placed ladders versus the advantage of making unreachable roofcamping almost impossible.

I'll gladly sacrifice the ability to destroy any badly placed ladders to get rid of the unreachable roof campers.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »
+2
It wouldn't get rid of roof campers, the ladders are often destroyed by the enemy team anyway so that the people on top have to come down.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 07:29:22 pm »
Yup. As an archer I support keeping our ladders intact as it forces the enemy to come up single file.

As long as there is range in this game, people will complain about it, even if we are removed the ability for archers to move.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »
Roofcampers only have to come down once all other enemies are dead.

So it's generally not smart to do this. Once people figure out that only enemies can destroy ladders, this behaviour will change.

Removing ladders because some people abuse the mechanic to create unreachable roofs means giving up a great feature just because some people are bad sports. It's like giving in to the leechers and removing the upkeep system all together because of them.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:24 pm »
Roofcampers only have to come down once all other enemies are dead.

So it's generally not smart to do this. Once people figure out that only enemies can destroy ladders, this behaviour will change.

I doubt it, shielders might not  destroy them, but two handers would still be more likely to break the ladder and hide till they come down than try to charge up. And they're the ones that can take the ladder down in a couple hits.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:54:41 pm by Warcat »

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 12:25:46 am »
I doubt it, shielders might not  destroy them, but two handers would still be more likely to break the ladder and hide till they come down than try to charge up. And they're the ones that can take the ladder down in a couple hits.

Hopefully, the mentality will change.
And i prefer giving a chance to thoses 2h, to be smart and let shielders do the job.
And if 2h destroy ladders anyway, it wouldn't change anything from the current version, so it won't be worse.

We had this, today : And hell was it interesting lame.

(click to show/hide)

When range only has to care about range, numbers make the difference. Or wich ones are on the ground, vulnerable, and wich ones only cares about other range.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 01:38:26 am »
Yeah, looks like a typical battle to me, I'd be fine with this change. But I think it'll make no difference more often then not.