Poll

Are you happy with the work of the balance team?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Are you happy with the work of the balance team?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Are you happy with the work of the balance team?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:43 pm »
+1
Yeah the lance rotation is defitenely balanced, 1hs should be able to stab horses without the rider can do anything about it. It would be better if people actually try something out before judging instead of "Well that player is doing okay right now, so therefore it must be easy and doesnt need balance"

I had 3 riding and 1 wpf in pole with light lance, 1h wasn't able to do shit. Lance cav is still the easiest way to slaughter whole teams, 1h+shield cav being close second.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 06:16:43 am »
Nodachi_Base_Damage_*Power_Strike*Hit_Location=Damage

So not counting wpf (assume 100) nor speed bonuses/penalties, and assuming that the attack is chambered just long enough for an exact 100% damage multiplier (since it can peak at 150% at 0.6 seconds before screaming back down to 120%) nor counting the additional damage for having a high strength (yes that adds a small amount too):
(43)(12*0.08+1)(1.2)=101.136 damage
Considering HP is 35+STR+2*IF that is one hell of a BAMF. Even 36 STR with 12IF is 95 HP, and considering the average fighter is about 60 to 70...

I suppose it might be possible if both of you were standing perfectly still and you hit him with the hilt (or as close as possible) of the Nodachi and he was completely undamaged... then he might survive with a dozen or so HP left assuming he is the aforementioned 95HP badass.

Nice of you to calculate (roughly), I haven't bothered. I just remember when it was unthinkable that an unarmoured head would survive that (Just as it was amazing every time someone was tank enough to survive the LoC) and now it does. There are a few full PS characters on the AU server and we've all experienced ridiculous resilience in low armoured players. At the same time, agi characters have had their attack buffed considerably (My soon to be 14 ath is in heaven) and wpp requirements have wiped out a big area of custimisation at the top of the str ranged build.

As for the cav nerf, some cav may top scoreboards (remember though, that your opinion of who tops scoreboards is based on the servers and game modes that you play there are a lot of serious players you'ev probably never encountered), but cav players are a minority for a reason. I imagine they're a very frustrating class for the less skilled player. The best players are hardly going to give up, however badly you nerf their playstyle and while it makes some sense to nerf from the top, rather from the average, it would be nice if nerfs avoided removing entertainment value wherever possible and tried to make at least some sense. The drastic thrusting fov decrease and the speed bonus nerf are not sensible. Imagine if 2h swords were overpowered. The balance team could reduce their speed or damage. They could also limit all 2h swords to only one attack direction. Let's say "only right hand swing for 2h swords" is equal in nerf value to "-x damage for all 2h swords". Are they really equally viable nerfs, or does the fact that one of them makes the game less fun than need be detract from its value? I think it would be a bad balance decision to enact the latter in this case and I believe that recent balance decisions in relation to cavalry have also been bad.

I have about 20 alts going, so to have a couple become ineffective is trivial to me, but I imagine very irritating for people who play less diversely.

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 11:59:06 am »
I had 3 riding and 1 wpf in pole with light lance, 1h wasn't able to do shit. Lance cav is still the easiest way to slaughter whole teams, 1h+shield cav being close second.

It does some dmg yeah, but I still think the lance rotation is lame, a 1her can stab your horse now, also 1h cav is also good but its a bit hard because you have to get the right timing, because if anybody sees you coming then your dead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 04:38:56 pm »
It does some dmg yeah, but I still think the lance rotation is lame, a 1her can stab your horse now, also 1h cav is also good but its a bit hard because you have to get the right timing, because if anybody sees you coming then your dead.

Well... I'm not a medieval warfare lance expert, but I expect that the lance is rather cumbersome while a 1h sword would be a lot easier to use. Ergo rotation limit!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:33:53 pm by Siiem »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 02:54:52 am »
generally its pretty good.

Cav lances deal a bit too much damage. As said before, they top the charts almost every round on almost every map.

To see a balanced cRPG like i MYSELF would like to see it:

1. Nerf long poles and 2h. Wep range is undervalued in the balance formulas. (Just look what weps nearly always top the charts.)
2. Cav: Either A: Reduce maneuverability so they must teamwork more to be powerful. B: Nerf lance damage so they have less 1 shot ability.

Chart toppers are in my impression either lance/1h/2h cav or long 2h/poles MOST of the time.

It's ridiculous to see super-maneuverable horses dance around avoiding all projectiles, turning on a dime, climbing mountains, roofs etc. There should be horse terrain, and inf terrain. Not just horse terrain.

Also, of course, buff the fucking katana a little bit. Please. Weaboo is here to stay. Ninja clan is barely keeping active players since its not really a competitive weapon anymore.. If u need to make it rare, double the price, whatever, just make ninja a viable playstyle again.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 02:59:46 am »
If they just removed the thrust attack on it, the katana would be way better.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 03:21:19 am »
Concluding things are unbalanced due to top K/D is the most retardic way to decide if a class/weapon balanced or OP.
Every class has a part on the battlefield.
Main duties to class (In my personal opinion of course.)
Shielder=Shield Wall , protecting infantry , stalling enemy , attacking archer squads.
Polearms=Anti-Cav , Anti-Shield,Poke-stunning enemies to create opportunuties to your teammates.
Archers=Harassing enemy , Killing enemy from range , delaying round by running away  :twisted:
2 Handers=Killing enemy infantry.
Cavalary=Harassing enemy , flanking , killing AFKers,Killing idiots who cant block down or who can't understand a horse approaching.

Of course cav and 2handers will top the scoreboards but without shielders archers and polearm guys, they'll fail that's simple.

About the team balance thingy:
Warband is a teamwork oriented game and clans are the place where people learn to do teamworks and play together for winning.Banner balance is the best imo.

Offline Hotpokka

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35:25 am »
Overall yes, however there are a few things that could be improved. Cav needs to be looked at (not nerfed or buffed), I think horses need to be more resilient towards arrows, perhaps buffing armour but nerfing HP so throwers and polearms are still effective against it. People only notice cav top scoring when they are top scoring, they don't notice the horses dying to 2 hornbow arrows or the weeks of grinding you need to do just to be able to ride a horse. 2h cav also needs some love.
Biggest issue is the frequency of patches and the lack of transperancy, I'd like to see devs commenting on people's suggestions and involving the community more. Though they are definitely more involved than most devs.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 08:11:17 am »
1. Nerf long poles and 2h. Wep range is undervalued in the balance formulas. (Just look what weps nearly always top the charts.)

I don't think we can do much about this, weapon range will always be the king of battle.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:04 am »
Concluding things are unbalanced due to top K/D is the most retardic way to
(click to show/hide)
Warband is a teamwork oriented game and clans are the place where people learn to do teamworks and play together for winning.Banner balance is the best imo.

Again, until the scoreboard stops being complete garbage and actually includes things such as:
damage done
damage recieved/blocked (for shielders/defenders)
vehicles destroyed (or horses slain, w/e)
objectives captured/defended
etc

LIKE REAL TEAM FPS GAMES
Then KDR is the only provable and tangible way anyone has to show/remember anything in the game.  It's also why many of the whine threads and dumbass behaviors occur as well.

All imo of course.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:12 am »
When im cav then I never really 1 shot anybody, except maybe archers sometimes with 0 IF and light armor but thats pretty much it.
This is not a FPS game btw :i

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:27 am »
This is not a FPS game btw :i

The difference between this and your standard FPS/TPS game is the inclusion of higher depth melee mechanics.  That's it.  Otherwise it's Battlefield: 1142
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »
I don't think we can do much about this, weapon range will always be the king of battle.

I always said that there is no reason to damaganerf short 2hs for example.
I would love to play with my bastard more often but not only i have to block twice as much
no i also have to hit enemys more often. I dont understand why speed is always set vs range + damage.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
The lance rarely 1shots anyone in full health. Certainly not any one in armour, even to the head. You have to be riding at full speed with high PS and polearm wpf to manage that. Most of the time if a cav rides past and lances someone, they are already damaged.

And saying cav is always top is bull. I see tons of cav who float around the middle of the scoreboard. There are only a few who top it.

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 01:58:53 pm »
Cavalry might get lucky sometimes and lance somebody who has like 20% hp left in a round and get 5 kills that way, but they are not op, they are just doing what cavalry is all about, hitting unaware people (especially archers) with their weapon.