Poll

Are you happy with the work of the balance team?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Are you happy with the work of the balance team?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Are you happy with the work of the balance team?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 02:57:20 pm »
As far ad I am concerned, this mod is currently in the best state since I started playing. I am sure that future patches will bring even more balance and improvement.

This.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1759
  • Infamy: 404
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 02:57:55 pm »
how about giving the reload speed some love, huh?

people like you amuse me

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »
No, they are leeching fun from cavalry players and strength is a largely hollow attribute for melee players. No naked head should survive an impact from a 12+ power strike nodachi, but it happens regularly. It should not be surprising for a 0 STR character to score a bounce. Couch should not have a wider fov than thrust. My 13 STR, 0 IF character in mail armour should not lose less than 1/2 of his hp to a destrier's full speed great lance couch. Throwing should be no less shield reliant than 1h, so either the shield capability should be removed, or its use should impact the user so severely that it is justifiable to have unshielded throwers competing with other range.

Current balance seems like the worst in the mod's history. The best was probably immediately before the last slew of patches. That edition wasn't my favourite, but it was the most balanced.

I'm sure the balance team are great, but I'm dissatisfied with their work. I will email chadz as soon as possible!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »
2. tears of whine makes me happy.

Odd, I dont have anything to do with item balancing  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:21:49 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:34:24 pm »
With alot of different weapons, roles of every weapon class, alot of stats on all those weapons, and then alot of more factors, then yes, i think this game is balanced.

I am surprised that the game is pretty balanced, with all these factors. Ofcourse, it is very hard to achieve a perfect balance, but generally, yes, i think this game is balanced.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 03:49:03 pm »
It's fairly good right now. But I do think lances need to go back to 60 damage, they were balanced before, now they often can't take out lightly armored people. And really I don't think the 14 wpf thing for PD/PT was needed. Don't mind it for bows, but if I want to be slow as molasses and have my throws to travel randomly for the sake of power, I think I should be able to. Oh, and torches still need their own damage type.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 04:00:47 pm »
It's fairly good right now. But I do think lances need to go back to 60 damage, they were balanced before, now they often can't take out lightly armored people. And really I don't think the 14 wpf thing for PD/PT was needed. Don't mind it for bows, but if I want to be slow as molasses and have my throws to travel randomly for the sake of power, I think I should be able to. Oh, and torches still need their own damage type.

Bonus against wood.

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »
This +1
I don't understand why with 9 power throw and throwing lance I don't oneshot low gear people.
The armor reduction is too harsch for thrower. Maybe put it to 10 wpf needed by level.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 04:18:19 pm »
Bonus against wood.

I was thinking light, cotton and linen armors too, but definitely againist wood doors and siege equipment. Also now that you mention the topic of wood, ladders and siege equipment need more health points.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:20:26 pm by Warcat »
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:21 pm »
+2
Overall, yes.

The dev team are not being paid, so people who bitch about it are probably the same people who go to soup kitchens to yell at the servers for not heating the food enough.

If you look at it another angle. The people who volunteer for soup kitchen work, usually are very passionate and do everything they can to improve their service so that they help others anyway. It's not really a good comparison, since we are not at all here for a charity service. However, if you carry the comparison on, soup kitchen workers would never heat the soup for some and not others. They wouldn't give extra soup to a group of needy people over another or even refuse to serve a group at all. Lastly they wouldn't make fun of or look down on the people they serve.

So really its more of a poor comparison for the simple fact that the dev team DOES do those things, rather then any of the obvious differences. This isn't a charity, but the devs could stand to be a bit more even handed with the players. From everything I read and hear, it's a popular opinion that no one really has much confidence in them, the most common opinion being that they are unable to make unbiased balance decisions at all, instead deciding what to do for a number of other generally suspected conditions. This poll will probably end up being a split between melee and ranged, with mixed cav opinions. Speaking as someone who favors ranged, I haven't much enjoyed the last bunch of patches, seeing every play-style I enjoy getting radically and negatively changed every chance possible. I've found myself just not wanting to play anymore since every time a patch comes out I either have to re learn how to play or retire and start a new build. I haven't logged in for maybe two or three weeks.

So I voted no. I'm not really here to argue and I'm defiantly not here to whine. I'm just explaining my reasoning and giving my opinion as the OP instructs. I fully expect and understand that many will disagree with me and not share my opinion. As long as everyone stops to consider the opinions of others then this thread will have done some good. I'll be reading what everyone else writes as well.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 07:42:43 pm »
What we all don’t know is general direction the balance team is moving to. This is more like, I like crossbow buff, I like blunt and knockdown buff... and there is no philosophy behind it. For example Dexxta likes his bec with polestun and high pierce damage and he is happy but why should a wooden stick with a bit iron on the end make more damage and stun than same length full made of great sword? A thrust of a big sword would penetrate your body destroy your stomach or heart or whatever while a swing of bec would only make a flesh wound and penetrate your body not so much. Same with steel pick and 1h swords.
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »
+1
What we all don’t know is general direction the balance team is moving to. This is more like, I like crossbow buff, I like blunt and knockdown buff... and there is no philosophy behind it. For example Dexxta likes his bec with polestun and high pierce damage and he is happy but why should a wooden stick with a bit iron on the end make more damage and stun than same length full made of great sword? A thrust of a big sword would penetrate your body destroy your stomach or heart or whatever while a swing of bec would only make a flesh wound and penetrate your body not so much. Same with steel pick and 1h swords.

physics

the smaller the point, the higher the pressure.  the more pressure the higher the armor penetration.

larger the surface area the more armor can catch and slow/stop the impact.

bec dmg is pretty stupid for a polearm though

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 10:50:51 pm »
No naked head should survive an impact from a 12+ power strike nodachi, but it happens regularly.

No, this doesn't happen. You miss the head and hit the (armored) body instead. No one survives without a helmet from a 12 PS Nodachi headshot..

Also anyone suggesting cav buff - have you played the game recently? Cav is still topping the scoreboards every time and 1-hitting people (me for example, in 60 armor.... 60 pierce lances? rofl)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:11:23 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:48 pm »
No, this doesn't happen. You miss the head and hit the (armored) body instead. No one survives without a helmet from a 12 PS Nodachi headshot..

Also anyone suggesting cav buff - have you played the game recently? Cav is still topping the scoreboards every time and 1-hitting people (me for example, in 60 armor.... 60 pierce lances? rofl)

Yeah the lance rotation is defitenely balanced, 1hs should be able to stab horses without the rider can do anything about it. It would be better if people actually try something out before judging instead of "Well that player is doing okay right now, so therefore it must be easy and doesnt need balance"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:31 pm »
Nodachi_Base_Damage_*Power_Strike*Hit_Location=Damage

So not counting wpf (assume 100) nor speed bonuses/penalties, and assuming that the attack is chambered just long enough for an exact 100% damage multiplier (since it can peak at 150% at 0.6 seconds before screaming back down to 120%) nor counting the additional damage for having a high strength (yes that adds a small amount too):
(43)(12*0.08+1)(1.2)=101.136 damage
Considering HP is 35+STR+2*IF that is one hell of a BAMF. Even 36 STR with 12IF is 95 HP, and considering the average fighter is about 60 to 70...

I suppose it might be possible if both of you were standing perfectly still and you hit him with the hilt (or as close as possible) of the Nodachi and he was completely undamaged... then he might survive with a dozen or so HP left assuming he is the aforementioned 95HP badass.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:37:56 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.