Author Topic: Heavy/light armor on horse  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Aymeric

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Heavy/light armor on horse
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:46:10 am »
Hi, this might be a noob question, but is there a difference in speed ( when mounted ) if you are in heavy or light armor?

If there is not ( and that s what i think ): apart from the upkeep is there any reason not to wear heavy armor? ( maybe also affects your lance speed?¿?¿ )

Last but not least: i have a charger, a destrier, and trying to get my style.
I love morningstar + charger but i m verrrrryyyy slow.
i have around 120 in polearms and 80 in 2 hand, will i notice a big difference if i change to 120 2h and 80 polearms? ( i like to couch my heavy lance also.... ).
I am also looking for a polearm with a swing of the same kind as the morningstar, but i dont think there is right? ( when mounted i mean )

Tks in advance!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Heavy/light armor on horse
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:28:01 am »
2h receive 30% speed & dmg penalty from horseback, so an already slow weapon like morningstar becomes super slow.  Slow weapons also receive more speed bonus, so you can make up for a good amount of that loss.  Slow weapon isnt necessarily a bad thing on horseback but you have to know the pros and cons.

Advantage is you can 'hang' your weapon out for much longer and basically clothes line people with it

Disadvantage is you cannot make multiple swings in a pass very well.  Also if anyone gets near your horse, theres no way to counterswing and kill them, you HAVE to ride away to regroup. 

IE...if my horse gets reared and someone starts chopping away at me, with a sword I can swing or stab back and hit them in the face to kill them.  With morning star it swings to slow they'll hit you in the foot and interrupt your swing.

The only polearms that slash horizontally from horseback are the hafted blades, but the animations for them are so slow and short they're useless...its an exercise in futility using them.

Put the majority of your WPF in the weapon you use the most and get the most kills from.  You can be decent cav lancer with 0 polearm skill, but up to 75-90 does help considerably.  Over 90 is probably a waste unless you are a polearm user
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:48:36 am by Digglez »

Offline Aymeric

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »
tks a lots!
you re officially the "cav advisor" for me!!!!

tks a lot

Offline Aymeric

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:57:46 am »
+1
i ve tried yesterday for the first time cavalry in siege mode.
I ENJOYED!!!!
With my charger, heavy plate and morningstar : when gates open ( as defender or attacker ) i run like hell in the middle of ennemy troops!!!
I still have a kd ratio of 1,5-1 more or less but i go behind ennemy lines and many people bother more about killing me than really trying to get the flag so i suppose it s TIME i give to my fellows!!!!

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:46:54 am »
Welcome to the extincting Heavy Cav family, and I'm glad you enjoyed being one. The angry pikemen are everywhere and the pew pew never stops!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 02:25:15 pm »
Welcome to the extincting Heavy Cav family, and I'm glad you enjoyed being one. The angry pikemen are everywhere and the pew pew never stops!
It ususally stops against me after I trampled them, turned around and put my sword in their face! xD
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia