Author Topic: Pure cavalry build Help  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Tayzzer

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • What?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC
  • Game nicks: Zaylo_Unicorns, Zeyro_AoW, Talony_Vanguard_Of_AoW
Pure cavalry build Help
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:21:20 am »
Hello, I am very close to my first retirement, and I wanted to do a pure cavalry character (lancer). I have only gotten tid bits from the elite cavalry talking in battles, some say go with no weapon mastery some no athletics. 15/21 seems to be popular but like I said I don't know. Any information on builds would be helpful, as I am more than a little confused. I will be able to get a well bred horse of any kind once I Retire so any help there would be really nice too.  I like the versitility of cavalry and how it can help an organized team and just hope I can learn from you guys.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:51:47 am by Tayzzer »

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
Re: Pure cavalry build Help
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:38:02 am »
+1
I am 15/21 now but I guess you could say I am not pure cavalry since I have 7athletics, if you want a pure, 0 athletics build I reccomend this one

* Strength: 18
    * Agility: 21
    * Hit points: 65

* Skills to attributes: 8

* Ironflesh: 6
    * Power Strike: 6
    * Shield: 4
    * Riding: 7

Then you can either put all your WPF into polearms (you will get around 110) or you can split it between 1handers and polearms and get near enough 80 WPF in both.

Also if you are going pure cavalry I really think you should get a large warhorse, if you want to stay mounted for as long as possible an armoured horse is kinda needed and that is in my opinion the best one.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:39:26 am by BADPLAYER »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:55:23 am »
The build I'm doing this gen:

Strength: 18
Agility: 21
Hit points: 59
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 3
Athletics: 4
Riding: 7
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 0
Polearm: 112

May dump the Ironflesh into Athletics and crutch on loomed armor instead of HP.

Basically if you want to be pure cav with a lance, you need at least 6 riding.  18/18 is the basic template, most cav start there then try different stuff depending on what they like.  If you like going slow, using 1 handers, close infantry support you might like 21 str 15 agi for the 7 powerstrike.  If you like being really fast and doing massive speed bonus damage, you can try 15/21 or 15/24 (possible if you gimp iron flesh and athletics a bit).

I like high damage and high speed (who wouldn't?) so I'm going to try out 18/21 build next.  You can create better cav builds by sacrificing some or all athletics and ironflesh, but those are still really great skills that can make your build unfun to play as without. 0 athletics means you can have stupid high riding, but on non cav maps or when you are dismounted you are gonna hate yourself.

Use a rouncey for learning cav and saving money, then upgrade to a Courser or Destrier (I prefer the destrier) for when you don't mind breaking even/losing a little.  Large Warhorses are OP after their stat buff for the cost, but you'll still lose money using one.

Use a heavy lance, the rest are awful
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:00:36 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tayzzer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:33:15 am »
Hey thanks guys this was exactly what I was looking for, Badplayers build seems pretty hard core so I am going to ease into it and if I need the athletics I can still fix it but I think it will allow me to stay competitive with the dedicated cavalry.

Offline Prosed

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Raawr
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Prosed
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »
Atm I'm a 21/18 build. I am not going to ride plated chargers, so I can be happy with 5 riding.
Furthermore I feel 6 power strike just isnt enough nowadays, especialy since the cav nerf a while back.
Therefore I would recommend 7 power strike.
I just can't wait to be King.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »
Hey thanks guys this was exactly what I was looking for, Badplayers build seems pretty hard core so I am going to ease into it and if I need the athletics I can still fix it but I think it will allow me to stay competitive with the dedicated cavalry.

To Badplayer you listen!

Having 0 athletics will just make you play more conservatively on horseback, because you dont want to have to walk slowly if you get dismounted.  Negative reinforcement 4tw.

The more time you spend on horseback the more you will benefit from extra riding.  Badplayer and other LLJK cav have more riding skill and are more dangerous than other cav because of it.  They turn tighter, accelerate quicker, speed faster than what you and players are used to.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:00:33 pm by Digglez »

Offline Tayzzer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:42:43 am »
Hey cool, thanks for the extra reinforcement on his build I want to stay on horseback for as long as I can so I will go 7 riding for the extra horse ability boost. Another question, do you think 2 IF points and putting them into shield would work? Im constantly hitting cavalry and the shield takes the hit, and I will probable end up with a well bred destrier if that factors in at all.

Offline Reddy

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Red
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 03:30:15 am »
This is my 2nd gen as cav and my build makes me pretty effective most of the time in my opinion, gets me kills.

STR 21
AGI 15

Skills to attributes: 2

IF: 7
PS: 7
ATH: 5
Riding: 5
WM: 5

Polearm: 146 WPF

The ironflesh makes me a tank even with medium/light armour and the power strike means I can one hit most people on my horse with my heavy lance. The athletics lets me run fast when I'm dehorsed, and the weapon master is pretty much all I need for my polearms really, since it is quite fast with my long hafted blade counterpart which goes with me as my close combat weapon.
[00:23] * reddy slaps cmp around a bit with a large fishbot

Because I can.