Author Topic: Archer build, 15/24  (Read 2976 times)

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
Archer build, 15/24
« on: August 24, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Items: Horn Bow, Langes Messer/Mace.

My current build is 18/21 with a Rus Bow. Since I prefer having 2 quivers, I can't use a proper melee weapon.

I'm not the best archer around, so I need your help!
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
Re: Archer build, 15/24
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »
Im no ranged expert but you might benefit from 6-7 PD rather than 5 I think?

Offline Xscizorx

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KbW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »
I did a STF as a 15/24 awhile ago (last patch 2.33) and it was awesome. It doesn't do as much damage as 18/21 but is much faster and more accurate. It's more of a "spam" role than a damage role, but it's effective against low armor and good at supporting your melee friends.

Offline bagge

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »
I did a STF as a 15/24 awhile ago (last patch 2.33) and it was awesome. It doesn't do as much damage as 18/21 but is much faster and more accurate. It's more of a "spam" role than a damage role, but it's effective against low armor and good at supporting your melee friends.

Sounds cool! Thanks for the feedback. :)
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »
Word of warning: The archers i know always seem to insist high PD is the way to go, because else you lack the killing power to make you an effective archer.

But what do i know, i suck as ranged anyway. Might be fun to try. Let us know how it works out. :)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:36 pm »
before the .233 missile speed/cut damage reduction patch I went 15/24 and it was probably my favorite archer gen to date with a mw horn bow and mw bodkins.  It took a few more arrows at times to kill people but I was fast and accurate, and the shots did enough to hurt most of the time.

With how much cut damage is diminished vs armor now I wouldn't go any lower than 6 pd.  6 or 7 is probably best.
I also think long bow is overall a better bow now because of its pierce when compared to the others.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline bagge

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »
Alrighty. I'm gonna give it a try next generation anyway. If it's too weak, I'll just respec.

Thanks for the replies!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2431
  • Infamy: 419
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:04 pm »
I'm Longbow user (18/21). Don't have enough WPP for longbow but in the end it will be ok, I guess. But I won't be able to invest in other profficiency.

With 15/24 you're kinda weak archer but you're fast, have wpp in both archery and melee, can use Mace all the time and super fast and precise. With longbow you don't have most of those.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:15:29 am »
I currently have 1.7 million xp left in this particular archer build.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

* Strength: 15
    * Agility: 24

* Skills to attributes: 8

* Power Strike: 2
    * Athletics: 8
    * Power Draw: 5
    * Weapon Master: 8

* Archery: 172

Now, I happen to be able to pad the nerfs by having a MW Hornbow and MW Bodkins. A lot of people on NA can tell you that I can still compete, and that my arrows hit "hard enough" to be a problem. The trick is to be able to shoot accurately and reliably into melee to stun and possibly kill the enemies.  The main problem, as most archers known, is being complete and utter crap (for the most part) in melee. I'm curious as to why you planned your build to 31, unless you don't plan on retiring.

All that being said, when most people ask me about archery, I tell them to just pick something else. It may be just a personal gripe for me, though, because I hate the new missile speed, and while archery can still do a significant amount of damage, I just feel that you're better off hybridizing with throwing or crossbow. It allows you to still be effective "enough" in range, and still be able to compete in Melee.

On another note, if you DO intend to stick with archery, there's almost no reason at this point (besides being a horse archer) to use the Horn bow over a Rus or Long. Going either, I'd suggest 21-18 or 24-18. While the first gives you more of an ability to hit hard (though not fast) in both Melee and Range, the second one, once again, makes you a Pure archer.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:19:01 am by Zekerage »

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »
I have a Lv30 archer with this build...

21/18

4 power strike
6 athletics
7 power draw
6 weapon master

154 archery
9 leftover points dumped into one-handed

No 'looms.

...and just like Zekerage I recommend playing something else...unless you have double masterworks that is.  I believe that's +11 damage when you have both a MW bow and MW arrows? Huge, huge difference.  Even with seven power strike you're doing negligible damage without masterworks.  Occasionally you get lucky and everyone you shoot in a round will already be on their last legs.  Usually, however, you're just there to stun enemies for a friendly melee-type and to de-cav.  Crossbows are so much more effective, even with the slower firing rate, and they don't limit your melee ability nearly as much as archery.

You can still be effective if you know when and where to shoot and you're accurate, don't get me wrong.  It's just that you're better off with literally any other build.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline bagge

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »
On another note, if you DO intend to stick with archery, there's almost no reason at this point (besides being a horse archer) to use the Horn bow over a Rus or Long. Going either, I'd suggest 21-18 or 24-18. While the first gives you more of an ability to hit hard (though not fast) in both Melee and Range, the second one, once again, makes you a Pure archer.

This is an alt. So I'll probably not retire very much.

Alrighty, but instead of 21/18, I'd personally prefer 18/21, since it gives you more WPF, and you'll be slightly faster.

I've always liked the Long Bow, so maybe I'll just stick with it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1589
  • Infamy: 932
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »
Longbow is useless without 140 wpf. With 150 things get better but I think that with 160 it should be ok.

Also archery isn't under powered. I do the same as archer as I do with other builds. Some people are epic at melee so they feel that achery is a bit inadequate.

If you can't kill shit then you're crappy archer. Changing your build won't help you much, many people are lucky that this is battle so they can get some free kills but amount of total nubs on server at any time is about 65%.

Archery doesn't suck, it's balanced. Players do suck.

You want old OP archery so you can rank up some kills even if you're total moron. Sorry but that's out of question.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:32:58 pm by Leshma »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 07:10:05 pm »
Longbow is useless without 140 wpf. With 150 things get better but I think that with 160 it should be ok.

Also archery isn't under powered. I do the same as archer as I do with other builds. Some people are epic at melee so they feel that achery is a bit inadequate.

If you can't kill shit then you're crappy archer. Changing your build won't help you much, many people are lucky that this is battle so they can get some free kills but amount of total nubs on server at any time is about 65%.

Archery doesn't suck, it's balanced. Players do suck.

You want old OP archery so you can rank up some kills even if you're total moron. Sorry but that's out of question.

I disagree, I think archery is a bit underpowered right now.  You will rarely kill a medium - heavy armored player from 100-0% because you'll have to shoot them 3-4 times usually w/ a longbow,  more with any bow that deals cut damage.  If you're racking up a bunch of kills with an archer you could be pro, but more than likely you're picking on peasants or getting the killing blow on someone that was already hurt from melee or another archer.

I'm not saying you can't be a good archer; you can still be very successful, but you'll need to rely on supporting your teammates who are already engaged in melee and avoid getting yourself targeted.  I found it was much more difficult to 'hold my own' against advancing enemies in this recent patch than archer builds from before because shoot speed was reduced and I didn't do much damage to an enemy who charged me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:12:44 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2808
  • Infamy: 1213
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »
I needed 4 or more hits with heirloomed longsword and 8 ps to kill medium/heavy armored guys.

Also role of an archer isn't to kill heavy armored guys. Archer should mainly dismount enemy cavalry, then kill enemy ranged, then 2H/Polearmers and in the end shoot at shielders.

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »