Poll

Anyone else think it's time for a West Coast NA Server?

YES!
51 (53.1%)
NO
21 (21.9%)
brbrbrbrafk
10 (10.4%)
yes and no
7 (7.3%)
I would host it!
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Time for a NA West Coast Server?  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a NA West Coast Server?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:10 am »
As mentioned, the issue isn't the difference between 60-80 ping, its that us in WA get 100 ping during peak hours compared to 30 ping that many players get.

I play just fine at 100 ping, however it does limit what I can do.  I miss manual blocks sheerly because of ping difference sometimes (sometimes I just miss obviously).  Also, chambering is pretty much non-existent for me (though I've been practicing it a lot lately to try to get used to the timing).

Anyway..

Tonight at 11:00pm PST:  There were 71 players on North America cRPG (Hospitaller),  31 players on NA cRPG (ATS), around 40 in seige.  This is not primetime, as on East coast it is 2am, and 1am CST.  That's still plenty players at that time of night on a _weekday_.

Are these players East coast players? I doubt it, they are probably West Coast players.  Even if only half of them were West Coast, that's still around 50 battle players (ignoring the seige players) which would likely be playing on a West Coast server instead.  Again, this is Tuesday night; not prime-time. 

Its obvious that if there were a West Coast server, it would have a population.  That's like back when there was only a 100 man EU and then a smaller NA server, saying we don't need a 100 man NA server because there isn't enough population to warrant an NA server (which is how it used to be).  But guess what?  The first NA server thrived and all of us that used to play on the 200+ ping EU server quickly switched to NA once it was a 100 player server.

As any game, Counterstrike, TF2, etc...  players flock to their regional servers and the population will flow from one to the other.  Early in the evening, the East/Central servers are populated because the West Coast is still at work.  As it gets later in the evening, the West Coast server would fill up while the East/Central servers would drop.

It doesn't work like that right now because they are all Chicago servers.  There is no regional variance. 

I understand the costs related to setting up a server.  In fact, not providing my own rack would cost $150/mo to be able to support 100 players (providing my own rack would be about $50/mo).  But guess what?  We don't have the chance to set up a server because only people trusted by chadz in the community are allowed to tie it to the stat tracking, leveling, item system that is cRPG.  And this is fine! That's how it should be to keep things fair.  But if people are willing to donate resources, server racks, etc. to at least give it a shot; why not give it a shot?

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2011, 09:12:32 pm »
East coast doesn't need a server because Chicago is practically on the East Coast.  As a west coast player i get a similar ping on the chicago servers compared to people that login from Europe.  And it isn't just me either.  You can tell a person's location by ping: 

30 or less = Chicago
40 - 70 = East Coast
80 - 110 = West Coast
110 - 200  Europe
200+ = China

There is more than enough population for multiple servers.  And every server doesn't need to have 100 people playing for the game to be fun.  There are also a lot of West Coast players, we are stuck playing on Chicago servers though until we get a West Coast server.  Just look at people's pings if you don't believe that and cross reference it with my chart.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2011, 12:04:07 am »
Once I take care of some bills/upgrades I've been debating whether or not to spring for a Seattle cRPG server if chadz would be cool with that.

Ready to roll or did you change your mind?
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline Croaker McGee

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • You can't spell 'Slaughter' without 'Laughter'.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Croaker_McGee_Jr_Astralis
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:40 am »
Since I'm in Hawaii, I get around 120 ping on the Chicago server, so anything closer to my little rock in the ocean would be fan-freaking-tastic! If you decide to take up a collection, let me know.  :mrgreen:

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2011, 12:33:32 am »
I'm ready to donate and see this happen as quickly as possible as well!  Let's do this!

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2011, 12:35:28 am »
You guys thought the man with the lowest awesomebar on the forums would pull through for you?  :lol:
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Najjynn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2011, 12:56:17 am »
Also from Hawaii, and would happily donate for a Western server too =)
Twin_Dragon

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2011, 01:00:12 am »
You guys thought the man with the lowest awesomebar on the forums would pull through for you?  :lol:

I still don't entirely get if it's better to have a positive or a negative score?

Offline Allers

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Ca$hville
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ca$hville Records, Ruff Ryders
  • Game nicks: Allers, Young Buck, DMX
  • IRC nick: Allers
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2011, 01:06:22 am »
There is a new west coast server out. It is the SoA server. Tetris is trying to get the xp to work right now so its not working, but you can join it. The server is located in Seattle. :D
Ca$hville 615

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2011, 01:11:55 am »
There is a new west coast server out. It is the SoA server. Tetris is trying to get the xp to work right now so its not working, but you can join it. The server is located in Seattle. :D

Checked out the server.  It was empty but I logged in to check my ping.  30!  I hope they get this server running properly as it will be my new home.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:37:06 am by 1slander »

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2011, 09:53:59 am »

Oh wow, I can't believe I have stayed to see the day that c-rpg got a west coast server, Seattle no less. This is truly wonderful news. My ping there is almost 60, which is almost half of what it is on the Chicago servers (also better ping than on any Native servers).

No longer shall the Great God fall to strikes committed unto his shadow. Now I can finally block attacks instead of just out-maneuvering my opponents on a level they cannot even begin to comprehend.

Out of curiosity, who's server is it?
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Najjynn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2011, 09:04:46 pm »
Woohoo...Now my ping is only 90-100 --- rather than 120ish+ .   

Western Players, start giving this server some company =)
Twin_Dragon