Poll

Anyone else think it's time for a West Coast NA Server?

YES!
51 (53.1%)
NO
21 (21.9%)
brbrbrbrafk
10 (10.4%)
yes and no
7 (7.3%)
I would host it!
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Time for a NA West Coast Server?  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a NA West Coast Server?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2011, 12:04:43 am »
Bumping up this old thread to say..

I am all for donating towards a West Coast server if someone with clout and know-how would set one up..

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 02:23:05 am »
Unless you live in hawaii...you won't see a significant difference. I lived in cali and got 80 ping...played just fine.

But ATS at one time also had a dallas server...where I got 60 ping...with no notible difference. Try getting a better internet connection first before having someone pay 100 bucks a month for a server, and save money.

Also...I think the hardly populated STO(lljk) server proves my theory that NA does not have the population for another server. Sorry to disapoint but I advise against this.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Trippin

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 02:31:11 am »
I don't even play cRPG anymore because of the shitty ping. I might be willing to pay for a portion of the monthly fees associated with a possible for a West Coast server depending on the circumstances and the people involved.

Offline balbaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 02:46:24 am »
ecko i love your sig :D

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 04:17:30 am »
Unless you live in hawaii...you won't see a significant difference. I lived in cali and got 80 ping...played just fine.

But ATS at one time also had a dallas server...where I got 60 ping...with no notible difference. Try getting a better internet connection first before having someone pay 100 bucks a month for a server, and save money.

From what I've read going through Reapy's posts you shouldn't notice a difference going from 60 to 80.  It's 30-50 where you truly see what's going on, 60-80 where it's playable but you have noticably less time to react to things (Being a fellow Californian, I play in this range), and then triple digits where you might as well guess (I like hanging out in EU, doesn't really affect my archer since I guess where people are going anyway.)

I do agree with you that it probably won't work due to not having enough people.  It's not just the TFO server that suffers from a lack of population, often the majority of players are playing on either the ATS server or Devilize's server but not at the same time.  One might be peaking while the other usually seems to have like 5 players.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:21:09 am by Kaelaen »
-idlewind

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:20 am »
Thats the thing though, none of the servers are currently west coast.  The reason why they are unpopulated is because they all cater towards the same player base.

A west coast server pretty much all west coast players would play on.  While it would lessen the population of the 2 Central/East servers a bit, the population would still be decent on the West Coast server because ALL of the players on the West coast server (except for clan specific like ATS and Hospitaller) would play on them.

In Washington, during peak hours I consistently get 100+ ping on the current NA servers.  This is with a very stable FIOS 25/5 connection.   

Like mentioned, the difference between 60-80 isnt great, but the difference between 30 and 100+ is huge.  It's still playable, but I would certainly donate towards a West coast server to drop it down to 30. 

On a side note: I have good friends that work in gaming server farms (WA based Netriver specifically), and would personally pay for a server.  However, I know only people with clout are allowed to have a cRPG server (such as Gorath).  This is why I'm so interested in financing, I would do it if someone that knows how and is allowed to do it would set it up.  As long as its in the range of WA-CA without going any further east than Utah...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:43:00 am by Z_E_N »

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2011, 02:09:11 pm »
Our servers anre not meant to single anyone out, but its just not practicle to have a west coast server with so few people...what about the east coast? I don't hear them asking for a server...

The reason why we use a chicago server is because it is right in the middle of everyone except for the few lucky enough to live in the midwest. Yet they pay for it through harsh winters and horrible food :)

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:22 pm »
I'd host it.  I own a couple of nice C-Class blades that could run a server nicely (and at no cost to anyone). 

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »
West Coast server is a great idea.  chadz should definitely let someone else run it though.  Preferably someone that that is not affiliated with anyone that runs the current servers.  I know a lot of people wish they could run their own server.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »

Also...I think the hardly populated STO(lljk) server proves my theory that NA does not have the population for another server. Sorry to disapoint but I advise against this.

Because for some super smart and not dumb at all reason another chicago server was added.  Why would the Fallen Ones server be populated when there are plenty of other chicago servers already? 

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2011, 10:57:32 pm »
Because for some super smart and not dumb at all reason another chicago server was added.  Why would the Fallen Ones server be populated when there are plenty of other chicago servers already?

It was mostly because of the overly oppressive admins that ran the Chicago servers tbh.  But they identified the problem and somewhat fixed that now though. 

Scot is from Chicago like myself.

Why would he locate a server out of somewhere else?

Besides Scot is also being proactive in making his server more unique to the competition with stats and a more relaxed approach to towards administrating the server.  The only way to get perma banned is by intentionally killing teammates or multiboxing.  Which so far only one person is really permabanned and that is Balton.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Ghazan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ghazan_of_Karakorum
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 12:34:27 am »
It probably wouldnt last long cuz the community isnt big enough to support it.  I think they added a west coast siege server in native, but it only ever had 10-20 people on max before dying out completely.

BTW I hate that guys avatar above me.

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2011, 01:04:14 am »
I live too in BC and get 60 ping on NA 80 / 100 and TFO server. When I was in Montreal which is the opposite , I had 30 pin... so coast to coast I lost 30 ping which isn't "that" bad.

My point being, a western server wouldn't make you better because you have 30 ping lesser than usual, but it would make a big difference for that dude in Hawaii and that other guy in Alaska...

So does it worth putting a new server up for only a small % of the players who are stuck so far from the civilization ? (j/k)

And people saying "I'll pay a small amount per month to cover the fees" ... most of them are still underage , don't have a job nor own a credit card and won't support sh*t when the time comes.

So I strongly doubt a Western Server is a good idea, even thought I live on the west coast...

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2011, 01:19:10 am »
I don't even play cRPG anymore because of the shitty ping. I might be willing to pay for a portion of the monthly fees associated with a possible for a West Coast server depending on the circumstances and the people involved.

Blah, lamer, the shitty ping is the best about crpg. All those cry babies whining about lag when their ping reaches 40, fun fun fun, so much.

What happened to your plans to meet & marry a very old men in L.A.?

I would be willing to marry him, too, then we would be united, what do you think do you think he would like my picture I posted in the other topic?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:24:36 am by Michael »

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:26 am »

BTW I hate that guys avatar above me.

Indeed, disgusting. Please dont say I m right and its him with a black male prostitute.