Author Topic: Retirement for casual players  (Read 1790 times)

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Retirement for casual players
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:20 pm »
Right now all our XP past lvl 31 is a waste if we plan on retiring in the future. I suggest that, instead of having lvl 31 as a prerequisite, we have the cost of retirement in XP (i.e. ~8.7mil for a retirement with a bonus), so players that wish to play past lvl 31 for a while can have the difference in XP transfered to next generation once retired.

Players that like to grind and level up fast will still enjoy the 10% XP bonus for each retirement (which can be increased if necessary) and those that chose to stick with their high level chars for a while won't be penalized by losing hard earned XP upon retirement.

PS
Sorry if my search skill sucks and this has already been suggested.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:40:09 pm by AssPunisher »

Offline sami1337

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement for casual players
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:13:03 pm »
Sounds fair, but also makes retiring easier. There would need to be a penalty of a couple % for the leftover xp.

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »
There would need to be a penalty of a couple % for the leftover xp.

Good idea

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »
I agree, this is a very good idea.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:44 pm »
Totally disagree, why should you be able to boost your next character thru peasant days?

This would be way too easy, you could just ding 31, start pwning and then when retired you would have like lvl 20 or something? Why? The levelling as it is now is quite fast on its own, why do people keep trying to think up new things to make it even easier?

(And yeah, i retired from 31 once, should hit 31 on the next gen during next week)

If you want to play with strong character, then do it, why it should give bonus for the next one? Bad idea.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »
Also, what exactly would you mean by: if we plan to retire in the future?

I mean, i am going to retire every single time i hit 31, no matter what...the bonuses are just too sweet to let go (and to be honest, i am having blast playing on lvl 30, so i do not mind spending some time as peasant again :))

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:31 pm »
Through what peasant days? There are no peasant days because you hit lvl 15-20 in a couple of hours and by then you can pretty much wear your armor and wield your weapon. You said leveling is very fast yourself.

Also, its very obvious by your post that you are a grinder and you play to hit lvl 31 and retire the moment you do. However, as the title of this thread clearly points out, this is a suggestion from a casual player that doesn't care about fast grind or XP bonus. Honestly, I couldn't care less if you had 200% XP bonus for immediate retirement at lvl 31 if it make you grinders happy. All I care is to be able to play with my char past lvl 31 without losing all XP once I decide to retire. As sami1337 suggested before, some kind of % penalty sounds fair and reasonable.

Right now this sistem favours heavy grinders. Hit lvl 31 and then retire - rinse and repeat - otherwise lose your XP. I have retired 2 days ago and lost around 3mil XP for not doing it the very first moment I was lvl 31. Why do we have to feel this preassure to retire if we're not ready yet?

This is a very simple siggestion that affects you grinders in no way. You will still be way ahead of us and, as a matter of fact we will even progress slower this way because of no XP bonus. But being preassured to retire at lvl 31 just because you like it that way aint right.

With "if we plan to retire in the future" I mean if we plan to retire in the future....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:44:23 pm by AssPunisher »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:39:08 am »
You say this is the suggestion of a casual player, but casual players don't feel this pressure to retire you just described. Only 110% optimizer munchkins feel like that.

Still I think it's a valid suggestion, as currently, there isn't really a big incentive to go past 31. I don't even think the transfer penatly is needed, as people who retire later already lose the additional xp they would have gotten from the higher xp modifier, if they had retired earlier.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 03:26:42 am »
I retired a couple of times already, at the low levels where I got no bonus.
Doesn't matter to me that I lost XP since it allows me to test chars ... and my current build is far better than the one before which I wouldn't be able to fix for a long time.
Your system would favour those in fact who like to collect boni en masse. If cost is 8.7mil, then get level 31 + 8.7mil...
Press retire and voila, you've got a bonus and are still lvl 31. Get +8.7mil xp again, rinse and repeat, you never need to drop below lvl 31 if you are doing it correctly.

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:15:14 am »
I retired a couple of times already, at the low levels where I got no bonus.
Doesn't matter to me that I lost XP since it allows me to test chars ... and my current build is far better than the one before which I wouldn't be able to fix for a long time.
Your system would favour those in fact who like to collect boni en masse. If cost is 8.7mil, then get level 31 + 8.7mil...
Press retire and voila, you've got a bonus and are still lvl 31. Get +8.7mil xp again, rinse and repeat, you never need to drop below lvl 31 if you are doing it correctly.

I have done that too but its not the same to work your way back to lvl 15 (300k XP) and lvl 31 (8.7mil) as I'm currently experiencing.

I was aware of the problem of staying lvl 31 indefently but then again how much of a problem that realy is?  There are no peasant days anymore because you reach lvl 20 (650k XP) in a couple of hours and by that time you wear most of your equipment if not all. Another 800k XP and you're already lvl 25 (1.5 mil XP), and with every generation it gets even faster. The retirement sistem basicaly comes down to grinding that last few levels where the only significant difference is the amount of time it takes to get there.

Since, we have the upkeep sistem that keeps balance for the most part and leveling obviously presents no treath in that regard, I'm simply asking for an option to play past lvl 31 with an option to heilroom my items under certain cost and penalty.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:39 am »
I don't  approve of this idea. Once you get past level 15-25 (depending on what you are) you start exerting a serious influence on whether your team wins or loses. I've personally found that I win a lot more rounds with my levelled characters than ones that aren't, especially if you play in servers with less than 30 players. If you have a clan, this is even more pronounced- just look at the siege server when there's a clan playing in it.

Taking away peasanthood would essentially allow you to grind more than with it.

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »
I don't  approve of this idea. Once you get past level 15-25 (depending on what you are) you start exerting a serious influence on whether your team wins or loses. I've personally found that I win a lot more rounds with my levelled characters than ones that aren't, especially if you play in servers with less than 30 players. If you have a clan, this is even more pronounced- just look at the siege server when there's a clan playing in it.

Taking away peasanthood would essentially allow you to grind more than with it.

Yet it takes only 3-4 days of casual play to get past lvl 25  (I've done it over a weekend after retirement). The result is that most players are already +25lvl and those few that are not will be, within the next day or two. It all turns into grinding the last few levels where the decisive factor is the players' equipment anyway, and not their level. Retirement sistem has such a little impact on balance its barely noticable.

Also, as I said before, peasanthood is so short its not even worth mentioning. I was a peasant for maybe 2 hours before I reached +lvl 15 and used most of my old equipment. You are talking about 300k XP here and I'm point you to the 6 mil. XP needed to get from lvl 28-31. That's in fact where you spend most of your time and peasant days pass in just a blink of an eye...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:06:02 pm by AssPunisher »

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »
I would not consider myself as a grinder, as i have a job and some social life also, but the point is: if i want to play with lvl 31 char, i will, but i wont mind losing any XP if i choose to retire few days after...this would be of no help for the casual players, or how you call them these days.

The point is, i am planning on retiring the minute i get to 31, as i am planning my builds for lvl 30, so i am having blast getting the last lvlup before i can start all over again, and yeah, low lvls are quite effective these days, with people wearing light armor and such, i was able to start killing on lvl 11.

The retiring is making the lvling faster, by a LOT. It might not look like it, but with multiplicators and such, i am getting more xp on x4 than my never retired friend on x5, and that makes quite a huge difference. I do not see reason you should be able to transfer anything but gold/items to next generation, they removed WPF transfer in order to prevent beasts with 400wpf in whatever slicing thru you like hot knife thru butter.

Guys that used to get uber high lvl and kill everyone pretty much by looking at them and you had to gang up like 5-6 to bring such player down, i do not see those anymore (i mean ye, some skilled guys still own a lot), but its due to their ability, not high lvl and stat stacking.

You say this is the suggestion of a casual player, but casual players don't feel this pressure to retire you just described. Only 110% optimizer munchkins feel like that.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:27:58 pm »
so your two points essentially boil down to: You wouldn't mind losing the little exp you'll get in those few days past 31, and 2. your planning on retiring as soon as you hit level 31... Seems like this suggestion hardly pertains to you.

I'm in the situations where I won't be able to get on as often as I want (How I love this mod  :( ) I was never a grinder just a fool with an addictive personality.  Now RL is getting the way of me playing this great game.

What's the point? I WANT to retire but I can't feasibly see me being able to get to level 31 again anytime soon after it, just seems like a wasted endeavor (don't tell me 30-31 takes as much time as 1-30 I don't want to play as a low level for months on end).  However say in a couple of months I get to level 33 or so and start owning every one just cuz of my level, and feel the want to retire? tough luck to me all that exp is for naught.

With the %of total exp lost that was suggested it would be so much faster just to retire at 31 and re-level than what you suggested. People who would do this I guess would be casual players who don't retire weekly...and that's what this suggestion is addressing...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:37:25 pm by Fallen_CrassiusV2 »
On it.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »
Let us keep 50% of the XP after 31, this grinders won't abuse it because it will be a hell lot faster to retire as soon as you hit 31 and all the XP casual players get staying at 31 won't be wasted if you eventually decide to retire.