Author Topic: 2h Animations for sideswings and overheads, polearm animations for thrusting on  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
What you mean is the theory that doppelsöldner (with twohanders) were used to cut off pike heads. It's not clear if that is really true if I remember correctly. I personally think that they were used to charge in, trying to swat aside the pikes and fuck the pikemen up in melee. Cutting off pike heads ain't that easy I think.

However poleaxes are not pikes. Poleaxes are a lot shorter, about men size. They were formidable 1on1 weapons in armored fighting. In fact the versatile longswords had to be turned into makeshift polearms/hammers to be useful against heavy armor - half swording. But that's what poleaxes are.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
one of the advantages of swords against polearms that i see is that once you get inside the range of effective polearm swings the polearm user would have a much harder time using this weapon at close ranges. Thus their effectiveness in large groups as they keep enemies off each other and within optimal range.
Secondly, I have no idea how much a halberd would weigh but i would guess around the same as a large 2h, yet i imagine the weight would be concentrated towards the end yes? This would mean a hit would do a great deal of damage, yet it would also be more tiring to use than a sword.

Also, i have read about varying lengths of these weapons, but how long would you guys say it is (i'd guess about the size of the person using it).
my point is, anything that extends to behind your body becomes harder and slower to use if you plan on swinging to the sides, and once your swing is complete it seems to me that a swing from a long polearm would leave you open to an attack from the enemy. Ingame the staff of most polearms travels readily through the ground or your body, but in real life its not that easy.

I know we are getting dragged into realism discussion here, but this is actually interesting for me at work :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:25:47 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline hotcobbler

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus or a gun? How about both son?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Featherbottom
I disagree about polearms only stabbing. Historically, many polearms stabbed, slashed, hooked, or chopped. Look at bills, poleaxes, and halberds for example.
Damn right I drink beer sideways.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
I disagree about polearms only stabbing. Historically, many polearms stabbed, slashed, hooked, or chopped. Look at bills, poleaxes, and halberds for example.

I agree.

That's why I suggested on making stabbing their primary goal, so stronger thrust and weaker swings compared to 2h's stronger swings and weaker thrusts.
It's not a realism or history debate, it's just an attempt to create a different playstyle for polearms compared to 2h's.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
one of the advantages of swords against polearms that i see is that once you get inside the range of effective polearm swings the polearm user would have a much harder time using this weapon at close ranges. Thus their effectiveness in large groups as they keep enemies off each other and within optimal range.
Secondly, I have no idea how much a halberd would weigh but i would guess around the same as a large 2h, yet i imagine the weight would be concentrated towards the end yes? This would mean a hit would do a great deal of damage, yet it would also be more tiring to use than a sword.

Also, i have read about varying lengths of these weapons, but how long would you guys say it is (i'd guess about the size of the person using it).
my point is, anything that extends to behind your body becomes harder and slower to use if you plan on swinging to the sides, and once your swing is complete it seems to me that a swing from a long polearm would leave you open to an attack from the enemy. Ingame the staff of most polearms travels readily through the ground or your body, but in real life its not that easy.

I know we are getting dragged into realism discussion here, but this is actually interesting for me at work :)
Since you find it interesting, let's talk some more about it.

About the weitght, I'm not sure either but if I had to guess I would say about the same, so same as you. And the weight would also be more on the end of the halberd while the 2 hand sword would be spread out all over the weapon. But the halberds were also held much more towards the middle of the weapon to get a counterweight behind you, making it less heavy to use, while the 2hande was held mainly in the grip (halfswording was done on  the bigger ones and is roughly the same grip as the polearms). That would make them about equally tiring, I believe.

That grip also makes it easier to get a huge speed on it since you need to move the pole less than on a 2h. This would of course require more strength/effort since you're accelerating the end-piece much faster than you normaly would. This would also work against you if you missed though, so hitting air was usually a death sentence.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia