Author Topic: How to get a pub team under your control, leading them to victory?  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
+1
Every time I see a map, I instantly start thinking in movements, flanks, groups, coordinated attacks, all the stuff.
(Too much Sun Tzu reading on my end, sure, but it's okay. I'm not full of myself.  :) )

But because of the nature of teams, most of them are impossible to pull off.

Now I know that there are some good leaders like Phaz and co. The question is to all players though:

How in the hell can you forge a team of pubbers into a somewhat organized and controllable team?

I tried to erm.. Spam orders via CAPS, but it rarely gets attention, and because of that, we get split up, one side of the attack will be weaker than the other, and so on.

Do I really have to go the Drill Instructor way, always mocking the team in caps, making myself looking like a retard?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Don't people find that offensive, and they'll just do the opposite because they can show "him" who's the boss around town?

Any tips are welcome.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:03:26 am by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: How to get a pub team under your control, leading them to victory?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:08:41 am »
pubs are impossible to control, half of them are retarded anyways and the other half are terrible

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:18:07 am »
pubs are impossible to control, half of them are retarded anyways and the other half are terrible

Yeah but if you manage to convince most, the rest follows, because most people will stick to the team.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:19:15 am »
Yeah but if you manage to convince most, the rest follows, because most people will stick to the team.

my experience is that i can convince half while the other half charge blindly to their death/

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:34:02 am »
All I can offer is personal opinion and experience, so here that is. I love an organized game, teamwork, plan of action, execution, the whole deal. I'm always willing to follow what looks to be some semblance of a plan during games, but when the call to action is a comment like "HEY FUCKERS, GO LEFT YOU IDIOTS, OK NOW FOLLOW ME AND DO AS I SAY", it doesn't exactly inspire comradery and a desire to cooperate. I don't find being abrasive and dickish to be an effective leadership tactic, especially coming from people as random to me as I am to them. So like you mentioned, my first inclination at that point is to do the opposite of what is being demanded, or at least to not satisfy the prick.

Now on the other hand, if someone seems like a reasonable human being who has something of some value to say and presents it in a calm demeanor, befitting of the fact that we're playing a game here after all, then we're in business. Enthusiasm builds as now we have something to work towards, not just run out to the slaughter. Of course, there can be a discussion about having good ideas or bad ones, but that's not the point here. Usually if there is a plan, it's better than not, if for no other reason than it allows for more team mates to stick together for longer.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:51:32 am »
my experience is that i can convince half while the other half charge blindly to their death/

this

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:52 am »
+2
Make a joke build such as a super-shield Tavern_Keeper, or a Masterwork Stone throwing Village_Elder, do a little RP, and eventually people will follow you. It works for me all the time.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:41:04 am »
+2
use orders sparingly, type them in caps when you do

lead by example, dont ask them to do anything you wouldnt do

become a martyr

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:23:55 am »
+1
use orders sparingly, type them in caps when you do

lead by example, dont ask them to do anything you wouldnt do

become a martyr

Basically this. Also, if you are seen to do very well in battle, pubbies usually gravitate towards you.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:16 am »
Basically this. Also, if you are seen to do very well in battle, pubbies usually gravitate towards you.

Exactly
Karma and Diggles are both correct.

Actions speak louder than words.
Pubbies are more likely to listen to the guy who is on top of the scoreboard rather than someone who is 2-2 and spamming caps in chat.
Also don't get too complicated with the orders. Leave them at, GO LEFT, or GO RIGHT, or TO THE HOUSE, or something along those lines.
I can't tell you how many times pubbie cav have followed me through a battle and the team benefits that much more because of teamwork

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:57 am »
As chadz is a master of coding, he would probably be able to implement a voteable commander, which can display orders in his own colour or something. Although this still wouldn't mean that everyone follows those orders. But I think adding somekind of system could really help organizing randoms and also enhance the cRPG experience.

Offline Khorup

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Royal Beer Association
  • Game nicks: RBA_Kahnis
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:34 pm »
I have found out, that asking about a plan in teamchat, when my team loses tend to pay off.
But eventhough, it's very hard to get everyone to follow one plan, when people are spamming
voice commands all of the time.

So, it could be nice as SgtTeeh suggested, a voteable commander - this could work

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:57:06 pm by Khorup »

Offline Visus

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • TripSteppin'.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Visus_of_Chaos
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »
A lot of you guys are talking about putting your orders in caps in chat. I think a use of good punctuation works better to show your official-ness. If I see some guy (2-2 or 15-0) spamming caps in team chat I'm more than likely to walk in the exact opposite way from that group. If you think about it, the people who are most likely to follow that guy are sheep. Who do you want next to you when in a gigantic fight? A sheep boxing you in or room to retreat to a better position. A sheep tking because they can't control that Long Voulge they picked up, or room to dance and weave around your attackers alone or with another "lone wolf" ally.

I'm always wary of guys who try to co-ordinate pubbies.
الايرلندي ليوبارد

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 03:01:00 pm »
A lot of you guys are talking about putting your orders in caps in chat. I think a use of good punctuation works better to show your official-ness. If I see some guy (2-2 or 15-0) spamming caps in team chat I'm more than likely to walk in the exact opposite way from that group.

we didnt say spam, we said say orders sparingly and IN CAPS.  it has to stand out, regular non caps easily get lost in chat spam

one point I forgot to leave out was if you can, GIVE ORDERS BEFORE START OF NEXT ROUND, ie especially if your team is losing badly and most are dead already.  Get the pugs to know your intentions for the start of next round instead of letting them formulate their own plan of running off to die.  If they knew you were doing XXX and several people follow you on the way to XXX at the start of the round, they're more likely to follow as well.

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 04:07:37 pm »
Make a joke build such as a super-shield Tavern_Keeper, or a Masterwork Stone throwing Village_Elder, do a little RP, and eventually people will follow you. It works for me all the time.

I agree, people always follow my Pebble char around although I think thats more to do with the amusing spectacle of a tin can getting studded with stones than listening to any orders.  :lol:
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.