Author Topic: Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:50:59 pm »
There is one character i will run away from, no matter what i use. It's the polearm spammer. Even if you block, he will spam more. It has a hardcoded stun, does alot of damage and outranges everything except another polearm or a ranged character (in this case you also run, he's a spammer so he has high agi/athletics and will catch up). Most archers chose that weapon for melee as well, and do amazingly well on archery specced characters. It is obviously overpowered.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
Re: Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »
2h spammer is butthurt someone's got a longer weapon ;)
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:41:35 pm »
No, he's just trolling because in the other thread I said his Bar Mace (well crush trough) needs fixing.

His emotional attachment to his obviously OP weapon resulted in this pointless thread.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Imperial army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muBipy9-Q

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:04:10 pm »
No its completely ok for me to kill u with a long hafted spiked mace but if I do it with a 30 less reach lower speed rated heavier(again slower) bar mace its not ok

Fine I will play the polearm then enjoy your even less chances against me
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2481
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Bar Mace needs a lot of fixing, I agree on that. But Polearms never been so good. I've used Polearms pre big patch and they weren't as good as are now. Currently I have 1 wpf in polearms but despite that Long Hafted Blade is perfectly usable.

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »
Long hafted blade is perhaps op, but point is only agility builds use them.. and agility builds are what to be nerfed in my opinion.

Besides polearms have been nerfed especially heirloomed ones. I had temperd elegant poleaxe prepatch with 98 speed. The same would have now 92 Speed with +3 modifier..

Currently i use mighty german poleaxe with 91 speed and i get outspammed by 1 and 2 handers..

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:55:08 pm »
Long hafted blade is perhaps op, but point is only agility builds use them.. and agility builds are what to be nerfed in my opinion.

Besides polearms have been nerfed especially heirloomed ones. I had temperd elegant poleaxe prepatch with 98 speed. The same would have now 92 Speed with +3 modifier..

Currently i use mighty german poleaxe with 91 speed and i get outspammed by 1 and 2 handers..

I don't understand the hate on AGI builds, they die in 1-2 hits and 3 at most even in heavy armor.
maybe learn to feint so that you actually hit them instead of just swinging the same direction over and over.

Str vs Agi builds, Agi build has to hit the guy 6-8 times with a cutting weapon the str build has to hit you once with basically any weapon.
Seems pretty balanced since the agi guy will be able to dance around and hopefully score those 6-8 hits before the str guy hits him once. but one mistake on the agi builds part and he's done where the str build has lots of room for error. Anyways this is kinda off topic from the post.

The only thing I see wrong with pole arms is the ridiculous pole axes that are balanced the same as swords (balanced as in if you miss a swing you don't have to recover before swinging again, every 2h axe is unbalanced but majority of the Pole arms that look unbalanced are actually balanced & can be used to backpeddle and spam perfectly because there's no consequence to missing with your super heavy pole axe.

I always mess up when I see a pole axe come at me and then he misses so I rush forward to take the initiative, guess what happens, his balanced pole axe gets no recovery time and gets to instant swing again smashing into me and 1 hitting me.
This is the only problem I have with pole axes.

Great Long Bardiche is UNBALANCED
Great Long AXE is Balanced

LONG MAUL is UNBALANCED
German Pole axe is balanced

I just don't get it, because most of these pole axes look unbalanced but they are not.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »
Str vs Agi builds, Agi build has to hit the guy 6-8 times with a cutting weapon the str build has to hit you once with basically any weapon.

Maybe if the guy only has a 3 str and 1 PS, otherwise it doesn't nearly take that many hits.  Especially in current armor standards.  lolswords 1-3 shot with agi builds just fine.

As for the poleaxe should be unbalanced thing;  Actually because of the way it's held, and weight is distributed, they're remarkably agile and balanced compared to using a 2h'd grip and trying to swing it.  Polearm grip allows far more agile movement with heavier items than 2h'd grip in general.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:36:25 pm »
There is one character i will run away from, no matter what i use. It's the polearm spammer. Even if you block, he will spam more. It has a hardcoded stun, does alot of damage and outranges everything except another polearm or a ranged character (in this case you also run, he's a spammer so he has high agi/athletics and will catch up). Most archers chose that weapon for melee as well, and do amazingly well on archery specced characters. It is obviously overpowered.

Block a polearm twice and you won't be stunned...  If they are spamming it shouldnt be very hard.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:11:26 pm »
Maybe if the guy only has a 3 str and 1 PS, otherwise it doesn't nearly take that many hits.  Especially in current armor standards.  lolswords 1-3 shot with agi builds just fine.

As for the poleaxe should be unbalanced thing;  Actually because of the way it's held, and weight is distributed, they're remarkably agile and balanced compared to using a 2h'd grip and trying to swing it.  Polearm grip allows far more agile movement with heavier items than 2h'd grip in general.

I see now, I was looking at it the totally wrong way thank you for the simple explanation lol xD doy.

I still enjoy speed more than power and thats why I rolled with AGI over STR & it's definitely player preference.
Also I realize it's near impossible to sort out all the different variables during combat so I'm just going to rephrase what I first said about the whole Agi vs Str thing

Agi vs Str build, Agi build has to hit the guy MOST LIKELY more than the STR build will have to hit the AGI guy before he dies. lol

Thanks again for sorting me out on pole axes, for some reason I was thinking them the exact same as 2h weapons when of course they are held completely differently. xD

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »

I don't understand the hate on AGI builds, they die in 1-2 hits and 3 at most even in heavy armor.
maybe learn to feint so that you actually hit them instead of just swinging the same direction over and over.

Seems pretty balanced since the agi guy will be able to dance around and hopefully score those 6-8 hits before the str guy hits him once. but one mistake on the agi builds part and he's done where the str build has lots of room for error. Anyways this is kinda off topic from the post.

The only thing I see wrong with pole arms is the ridiculous pole axes that are balanced the same as swords (balanced as in if you miss a swing you don't have to recover before swinging again, every 2h axe is unbalanced but majority of the Pole arms that look unbalanced are actually balanced & can be used to backpeddle and spam perfectly because there's no consequence to missing with your super heavy pole axe.

I always mess up when I see a pole axe come at me and then he misses so I rush forward to take the initiative, guess what happens, his balanced pole axe gets no recovery time and gets to instant swing again smashing into me and 1 hitting me.
This is the only problem I have with pole axes.

Great Long Bardiche is UNBALANCED
Great Long AXE is Balanced

LONG MAUL is UNBALANCED
German Pole axe is balanced

I just don't get it, because most of these pole axes look unbalanced but they are not.

where did u get 6-8 hits from?

the only person i saw taking that much damage post-patch is goretooth in full gear

i die to ninjas in around 3 hits i think wearing decent gear

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:34 pm »
Bar Mace needs a lot of fixing, I agree on that. But Polearms never been so good. I've used Polearms pre big patch and they weren't as good as are now. Currently I have 1 wpf in polearms but despite that Long Hafted Blade is perfectly usable.

Not all polearms are by any means balanced, some are stronger than the others, sure. You can easily see which polearms are good by looking what powerplayers use. By that I mean those who don't have 'favorite cool weapon' but just take whatever is currently OP.

However, that doesn't change the fact that polearms in general consist of a bunch of unbalanced weapons, and in general are quite slow. For example, right now I'm experimenting with Glaive and Swiss polearm, simply for fun. Both are slow.. swiss one is especially painfully slow unless you intend to do thrust the entire time.
A lot of polearms are long, but 2H thrusts outreach almost all of them.
A lot of them also only have thrust and overhead.

In short, I don't see a problem with polearm class itself, and if there are few polearms that need a nerf, I couldn't care less since I use many.

Quote from: RandomDude
where did u get 6-8 hits from?

He was exaggerating to prove his flawed point. You can kill people in 2 hits with Military Sickle, which is 1H weapon, at 9 strength.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Offline ITHROWSHIT

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »
just the concept that a pole axe can swing faster than a sword is funny. bring back the looney toons axe and give it 112 speed!
all heavy weapons should crush through side blocks and have a high recovery time, newton's 2nd law of physics supports this.

also they should get stuck in people and need to be pried out by repeatedly pressing kicking

Offline Tai Feng

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:58 pm »
just the concept that a pole axe can swing faster than a sword is funny.

I agree.

And the concept that swords can stab further than spears is also very funny.
The fact that anime-flamberge exists with current fictional stats is also entertaining, especially when people try to explain me it's "historic" (lol).

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »
The flamberge is now a bad weapon and the only ones who use it are people who like that style. I don't use one, it's far too slow. It also tends to do lots of teamkills so in the end it doesn't really help winning a round.

Some polearm spammers are pretty crazy and i think making the polearms unbalanced will help alot, as will upping the requirements (this suggestion was made in another thread). That would balance them without nerfing them. I would also support upping the requirements for the barmace and all crush through weapons, so no one can spam them.