Author Topic: Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?  (Read 8317 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: Why is everything getting nerfed except polearm spammers ?
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »
I was there in same team of ganon there was a guy attacking with hafted blade 95 speed faster then the hit animation.

Now I don't mind agi stackers but there should be a limit if he hit you once you were dead he was so fast he was able to hit you while you were recovering several times and I got 21 agi 160 wpf in 2h with bastard and still got out spammed.

brb  Buying haft blade

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »
I don't understand your post Gorath. If the game would be rebalanced for a class system (which is NOT what i want btw) then 2handers will have problems using shields, archers will do just fine by running away and shooting only from range (just no melee ownage from archers like now), and so on. 
2hers pick up a rank 0 shield or put 1 lonely solitary point into shield for the board shield and that problem is solved.  Most 2her whine about ranged comes from the fact they refuse to do this, not that they "can't" (which is why their whine is bullshit.)  0-1 points gives you all the benefits of being a 1her/shield vs range, with all the power of a 2her/polearm in melee.  Talk about broken  :wink:

I am playing a specialized character because i like to maximize on what i'm doing, i tried a hybrid build and while it was more versatile and more powerful, it felt stupid to play. I prefer losing by learning to do more difficult stuff than winning by oneshotting people with throwing while being mostly melee specced. What i did call for is to make it harder for hybrids so skilled players would do well, while the maiority would chose to specialize. 
Right here you prove my point.  "than winning by oneshotting people with throwing while being mostly melee specced."
Your complaint is about ranged, not hybrids themselves as it doesn't seem you have a problem with say a 1h/2h hybrid utilizing the langes messer and fighting axe for instance.   Thanks.

There was some crazy polearm spammer today, he was so fast with my bad 70 ping i couldn't see the animation in time. Only way to kill him was from range or to get a lucky facehug->bump->hit which won't work against more skilled players for obvious reasons. He would also kill most people on my team by just spamming, so we started camping a roof and i had to use a xbow with 1 wpf, just because of that guy. 
So the specialized guy was more powerful than all those hybrids on your team in melee, and it was only because of the ability to shift your combat to range that you were able to take him down?  Sounds balanced to me.  That's the benefit of the hybrid, multiple roles.  That's the drawback to the hybrid:  Not as good in those roles as pures.

Ranged weaponry is ok, people should be able to play what they enjoy, to oneshot str based characters in heavy armor is NOT OK
Str based characters one shotting balanced builds in medium armor isn't ok either.  How is that statement any less valid than yours?  Agi based characters should never be 1 shot.  Headshots are headshot man, they oneshot everyone (except for flukes).  Your STR build with heavy armor should not grant you limitless protection, and I guarantee you that you can take more abuse than my balanced build (18/18) character in medium armor by far.  This just sounds like a case of either grass is greener, or the headshot blues.  I guarantee you that if you're getting one-shot by a ranged weapon anywhere other than the head:  It's from a pure build thrower or archer, not a hybrid.  If you're getting one shot by a ranged weapon in the head, well then no shit, it's a damn head shot.

Archers do fine in melee currently, it's a real fight most of the time, of course they all chose a polearm because with they high agi it can be spammed. So what's the reason to go full polearm, or full archer, when you can do both let's say at 75% efficiency of a specialized character. Summed up it would be 150% efficiency vs 100% of the specced one, while you should be at 50% efficiency if you chose to do 2 things at once, that way it would be balanced.

Where are you getting these arbitrary %'s?  Look, what your whole post sums up to, as I said before, is that ranged guys should never be able to beat you in melee.  And melee guys should never have access to any ranged weapons.  Class based.  Nowhere in your entire post did you say anything counter to this.  In fact you've just been reinforcing the idea.

If we're going by your arbitrary %'s thing then your math is still fail because of your bias as it would be more like:
Pure melee  100% melee / 50% ranged (Just picks up an xbow with no skill investments whatsoever)  Total = 150%
Pure ranged  50% melee / 100% ranged  (Just picks up a random 2h/polearm and can kill people fine provided he can manual block)  Total 150%
Hybrid ranged/melee  75% melee/ 75% ranged  (Lower than either pure in their field, better than them in their off-field)  total 150%

This is how it works unless you either:
Refuse to pick up an xbow at all on your melee character
Refuse to pick up a melee weapon at all on your ranged character
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 07:00:18 am »
I'll make a short reply because it's late.

If you talk about a specialized 2hander, he will not have a shield. If the game were rebalanced for that, putting 1 point in shield would absolutely suck and offer very little protection. Arrows would just go through it. You can't first make an hypothesis and then make an example about the current game, that's mixing two different scenarios, and is really confusing.

My observation about the polearm spammer was to go back on topic, and you don't need to be specialized to spam a polearm. I think you know that. Then there's of course the observation to put in a swing speed cap to stop all spam, be it polearm, 2h or 1h.

Ranged is not a problem in itself, the problem is you can make a good ranged character that is not countered by melee or cavalry because he has good melee and anti-cav defense as well. Ranged characters can be good, but they should be counterable at close range. We clearly have one build having an advantage over everything else. My numbers were just to explain the situation, don't take them literally, i would need to check with the damage calculator to show the real numbers. If you consider how wpf works, they might be even worse than what i wrote in my previous post.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 01:34:22 pm »
Yesterday he said he has 27 agi yet he still kill tincans probably because of pierce and speed bonus. You should really see him fight and see why there should be a limit on how much faster you can be with all that stacked agi as polearm user.

See him play on eu_1 around 1-2:00 am GMT+1 nokeyboard something like that is his name.

He was even able to chain stun you with pike lol.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:35:41 pm by Vexus »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »
Yesterday he said he has 27 agi yet he still kill tincans probably because of pierce and speed bonus. You should really see him fight and see why there should be a limit on how much faster you can be with all that stacked agi as polearm user.

See him play on eu_1 around 1-2:00 am GMT+1 nokeyboard something like that is his name.

He was even able to chain stun you with pike lol.

This is an extreme case, the regular Joe with his pointy stick won't do that.
Also, why "as polearm user?" the other weapon types are okay for you with stacked agility?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:46 pm »
There should be a limit of speed FROM agility not lower speed from polearms.

Polearm problem is that their hits stun like crazy unlike 2h (Not that with a katana and 27 agi you wouldn't be able to do it too).

I maybe should have worded it better on earlier post but yes there should be a limit on how much speed bonus you get from agility.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:07:21 pm by Vexus »

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 02:54:19 pm »
There should be a limit of speed FROM agility not lower speed from polearms.

Polearm problem is that their hits stun like crazy unlike 2h (Not that with a katana and 27 agi you wouldn't be able to do it too).

I maybe should have worded it better on earlier post but yes there should be a limit on how much speed bonus you get from agility.

Problem is current level cap and heirloom bonuses and base damage. 25 would be far better level cap than 30. +1/+2 damage and speed from heirloom would be better than current +4/+5. Or take it the other way, increase reduction factor by 30% for each weapon types.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »
25 would be far better level cap than 30.

And 20 would be better than 25.

*Only half joking.  30 is a good level cap, anything less leaves everyone in a semi-retarded state grinding furiously to get back to 30.  Remember 30 is only a SOFT cap, while 35 I believe is the hard cap.  I'm almost 31 on 4 different toons and plan to take them all to 35.*

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »
2hers pick up a rank 0 shield or put 1 lonely solitary point into shield for the board shield and that problem is solved.  Most 2her whine about ranged comes from the fact they refuse to do this, not that they "can't" (which is why their whine is bullshit.)  0-1 points gives you all the benefits of being a 1her/shield vs range, with all the power of a 2her/polearm in melee.  Talk about broken  :wink:

Sorry but you're totally wrong. I have yet to see a group of 2handers with lvl0-1 shields charging into a crowd of enemies and attacking them at the same time. It's impossible cause as soon as they put away their shields they get instantly hit, pure 1hand+shielders on the other hand can advance just holding their right mouse button and clicking left mouse button when needed ,  a group of decent 1handers can do a much better/more coordinated attack/defence than a group of 2handers with shields. There's many more benefits , but i just wanted to point this out.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 07:09:56 pm »
Not to mention with the level 31 cap, even 1 points in shields can completely screw up a pure 2H build (for my build for example I would have to give up 1 PS or 1 WM for 1 shield point).

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:16 pm »
On my 2her I have 2 points in shield for the board shield because of all the throws at the cost of 2 less ironflesh tough (Not that 4 hp would make much difference) but I understand if people wouldn't want to spend points in shield and use the 0 ones eventhough they get destroyed in 1 hit most of the times.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »
Not to mention with the level 31 cap, even 1 points in shields can completely screw up a pure 2H build (for my build for example I would have to give up 1 PS or 1 WM for 1 shield point).

How so? 
Age   45 [30]
Generation   2
Attribute Points   0
Skill Points   1
Weapon Proficiency Points   2

Strength   17   
Agility   21   

One Handed   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Two Handed   144   [9 WPF cost]
Polearm   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Archery   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Crossbow   1   [1 WPF cost] 
Throwing   100   [5 WPF cost]

Ironflesh   0   
Power Strike   5   
Shield   0   
Athletics   7   
Riding   0   
Horse Archery   0   
Power Draw   0   
Power Throw   5   
Weapon master *   7

This is my current 2h/thrower.  I have every skill maxed out currently and could still put 1 into shields if I wasn't saving up for more PT at 31.  With a pure 2h/ no throwing I could have 18/21 with 1 extra stat point, and still have every skill maxed with 1 point left over to put into shield skill.

How does it fuck up the build when all you need for a 2her is PS, ATH, and WM.  Also at this high of a level, 1 WM really doesn't give you much and could easily be put into shield while you still retain a 150+ wpf in your chosen weapon.

Like I said, it's not a matter of CAN'T but WON'T which makes all the whining a bunch of bullshit.

Sorry but you're totally wrong. I have yet to see a group of 2handers with lvl0-1 shields charging into a crowd of enemies and attacking them at the same time. It's impossible cause as soon as they put away their shields they get instantly hit, pure 1hand+shielders on the other hand can advance just holding their right mouse button and clicking left mouse button when needed

OMG, your counter argument is more 2her elitist misinformation and anti-1her bias?  Wow.  The 1hers cannot advance into multiple enemies and attack at the same time they are defending themselves either.  They either turtle, or attack.  If they choose to attack they are just as vunerable as 2hers (you cannot block while attacking, derp.)  If you're talking about ranged weapons hitting you well that's a crapshoot anyways if they're just blithely firing into a multi-person melee furball and 1hers have just as much chance of taking a stray arrow in their side or back as the 2her does.

What's so complicated about advancing with a shield/longsword (b.sword, M.star, katana, etc) until you reach the melee line and then pressing the key to put the shield away so you can commence attacking?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:30:51 pm by Gorath »

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:36 pm »
This is my build:

Level 31

Strength   18   
Agility   24   

Ironflesh   0   
Power Strike   6   
Shield   0   
Athletics   6   
Riding   0   
Horse Archery   0   
Power Draw   0   
Power Throw   0   
Weapon master  8   

So for 1 shield I have to give up on 1 PS/Ath/WM and it's obviously not worth it.

But this discussion has nothing to do with this nerf polearms topic.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:30:01 pm by Punisher »

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »

OMG, your counter argument is more 2her elitist misinformation and anti-1her bias?  Wow.  The 1hers cannot advance into multiple enemies and attack at the same time they are defending themselves either.  They either turtle, or attack.  If they choose to attack they are just as vunerable as 2hers (you cannot block while attacking, derp.)  If you're talking about ranged weapons hitting you well that's a crapshoot anyways if they're just blithely firing into a multi-person melee furball and 1hers have just as much chance of taking a stray arrow in their side or back as the 2her does.

What's so complicated about advancing with a shield/longsword (b.sword, M.star, katana, etc) until you reach the melee line and then pressing the key to put the shield away so you can commence attacking?

Anti-1her ? Elitist ? Really? Could you be even less original ? Don't put words into my mouth please Gorath, i was actually saying that 1hers are BETTER in some situations, do you disagree ? I hope not, otherwise it's pointless to go on cause one of us is incometent and has no clue about this game.
0-1 skillpoints shields break in a couple of strikes and comparing them to the shields pure 1handers use is nonsense.

Besides, shielders can actually cover their teammates from sideswings with shields. And if you're saying  1handers cannot advance and attack at the same time, check Mercs/Drz when they play together from time to time. That is in case NA community doesn't have decently organized clans with 1hander squads.

1 more thing- why/how should someone advance with a katana/bastardsword and a shield if he uses a let's say danish greatsword ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:43:14 pm by Shogunate_Ujin »

Offline cutsomecheesewithmybow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Hangover everyday.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dew
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 08:01:50 pm »
He wouldn't, 2hander and most poleaxe users use shields as something to take cover behind not fight with. Said person would switch to shield in any case where cover is needed and switch back to 2h once ready to engage enemy.