Author Topic: 1 Hand Heavy Cav?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Beothed

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Teutonic
  • Game nicks: Ulrich_von_Kost
1 Hand Heavy Cav?
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:16 am »
I've been tempted to go heavy cav 1h with shield. I may at my next generation, but is it a good play style? I love the horses and would like to get a warhorse or charger, but I also want to be able to do ok on foot and in sieges? What do you all think about 1 handed heavy cav? Here is the build I was considering:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

* Strength: 21
    * Agility: 15
    * Hit points: 60

* Skills to attributes: 2

* Ironflesh: 2
    * Power Strike: 7
    * Shield: 5
    * Athletics: 5
    * Riding: 5
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 0
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 5

* One Handed: 134
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 80
    * Archery: 1
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
Re: 1 Hand Heavy Cav?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:58 am »
+1
Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

* Strength: 18
    * Agility: 18

* Skills to attributes: 2

* Ironflesh: 6
    * Power Strike: 6
    * Shield: 6
    * Athletics: 5
    * Riding: 6

* One Handed: 113

you can't be heavy cav without plated charger
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:43:17 am »
18/18 is the most versatile spec, not good, not bad, jsut meh...
imho not powerful enuff to bumslashonehit guys even....21/15 is quite fine, even tho i would drop the points in poles, you can do quite well without them aswell (if you wanna go lance cav, just go pure pole cav), if you wanna ocassionally lance but primarily used onehand, id say you dont need any points

you can't be heavy cav without plated charger

i disagree here, heavy cav can be pretty much anything from warhorse up  :twisted:

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:49:31 am »
+1
18/18 is the most versatile spec, not good, not bad, jsut meh...
imho not powerful enuff to bumslashonehit guys even....21/15 is quite fine, even tho i would drop the points in poles, you can do quite well without them aswell (if you wanna go lance cav, just go pure pole cav), if you wanna ocassionally lance but primarily used onehand, id say you dont need any points
i disagree here, heavy cav can be pretty much anything from warhorse up  :twisted:

yeah you can pretent to be heavy cav with something less than a plated charger, but you might as well use a wooden shield and something other than full plate.
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:01:03 am »
yeah you can pretent to be heavy cav with something less than a plated charger, but you might as well use a wooden shield and something other than full plate.

well, in that case i have not met a single heavy cav for ages, as i either see plated people on mail horses (warhorse and such) or almost naked guy on plated charger

Anyways the horses for 5 riding are perfectly fit for 1h cav.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:06 am »
I consider myself one of the top5 1h cav in NA.  I would say dont bother putting the points in polearm at all, it doesnt serve any purpose.  You'll do as much dmg with a good sword or morningstar.  Build looks good besides that. you can drop a point from shield, wm and athletics to get more ironflesh, as cav you will get hit in the body plenty and IF is extremely useful.

The purpose of 1h heavy cav is close infantry support.  Bumping heavily armored enemies for your teammates, fending off/body blocking enemy cav and killing unware and stragglers.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:09:36 am »
I consider myself one of the top5 1h cav in NA.  I would say dont bother putting the points in polearm at all, it doesnt serve any purpose.  You'll do as much dmg with a good sword or morningstar.  Build looks good besides that. you can drop a point from shield, wm and athletics to get more ironflesh, as cav you will get hit in the body plenty and IF is extremely useful.

The purpose of 1h heavy cav is close infantry support.  Bumping heavily armored enemies for your teammates, fending off/body blocking enemy cav and killing unware and stragglers.

lol

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »
i prefer the charger, though even at champion (which mine is) you expected it to survive against anything, but ive had it 1-2 shot before, pretty annoying(not regarding couched lanced).
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »
i prefer the charger, though even at champion (which mine is) you expected it to survive against anything, but ive had it 1-2 shot before, pretty annoying(not regarding couched lanced).
but the charger is so expensive!!! mehhhhh

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 06:05:47 pm »
Ah I remember when I was 1h cav. It hurt me on a deep, personal level. I did far better when I picked up a lance, despite my 0 wpf in polearms.

Effective heavy cav, the kind that does close infantry support, requires a metal horse of some kind, or a destrier. Regardless, its amazingly expensive if you actually desire to play your role, and its not easy. Do not expect to stand up to people one on one and actually win, for they'll just kill your horse. Or they'll stand infront of it, blocking it, so that you cannot move, despite the 500 pound animal being entirely at your command. Or they'll waggle a polearm infront of its face, bringing your movement to a dead halt.

In other words, have fun being 1h cav.

"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »
Ah I remember when I was 1h cav. It hurt me on a deep, personal level. I did far better when I picked up a lance, despite my 0 wpf in polearms.

Effective heavy cav, the kind that does close infantry support, requires a metal horse of some kind, or a destrier. Regardless, its amazingly expensive if you actually desire to play your role, and its not easy. Do not expect to stand up to people one on one and actually win, for they'll just kill your horse. Or they'll stand infront of it, blocking it, so that you cannot move, despite the 500 pound animal being entirely at your command. Or they'll waggle a polearm infront of its face, bringing your movement to a dead halt.

In other words, have fun being 1h cav.
i am really, i actually do way better as 1handed cav than lancer, not because you can kill easier,(becasue that's not true) but because when i'm lancer, i go for other cavalry, and die a lot because of that, and when i'm 1handed cav, i don't.

but yeah, i disire to be able to ride a heavy horse all the time. it would save my horse a lot.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:18:48 pm by Berethorn »

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »
Fake-charge, slow down/stop, block, bump/slash.

Try to turn the head of your horse away from your opponent when you slow down and stop to stay on your horse a little longer.
And how!

Offline vinnytk

• Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA USA USA USA
  • Game nicks: USA_BARACK_OBAMA_AMERICA
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 07:44:23 pm »
lmao, 5 riding?  Where is your plated charger girly man?

GO BIG OR GTFO

Last gen I ran 18/18.  6 PS, 6 riding, 5 shield, 6 IF (i thing), 6 WM, 0 athletics.  All wpf was in 1 hander.  If I ran a courser I used a great lance and couched dudes with a shashka as a side arm.  When I went heavy I rode a plated charger (like a BOSS) and used a heavy heater shield and morning star.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:00:09 pm »
+1
lmao, 5 riding?  Where is your plated charger girly man?

GO BIG OR GTFO

Last gen I ran 18/18.  6 PS, 6 riding, 5 shield, 6 IF (i thing), 6 WM, 0 athletics.  All wpf was in 1 hander.  If I ran a courser I used a great lance and couched dudes with a shashka as a side arm.  When I went heavy I rode a plated charger (like a BOSS) and used a heavy heater shield and morning star.
Ironflesh over athletics? Thats the only thing I have against this build. I went 18/18 as onehander cav, 5 shield, 5 athletics, 5 weaponmaster, 6 riding, 6 powerstrike, maybe I missed something thoug.

6 riding doesn't only give you access to the heaviest horses, but it boosts your manouverability and speed, which are very important.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »
Ironflesh over athletics? Thats the only thing I have against this build. I went 18/18 as onehander cav, 5 shield, 5 athletics, 5 weaponmaster, 6 riding, 6 powerstrike, maybe I missed something thoug.

6 riding doesn't only give you access to the heaviest horses, but it boosts your manouverability and speed, which are very important.
you can have 6wm,ps,ath,riding and 5 shield, so you were even better(atleast at lvl 30 build)