• Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Racism
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 03:51:02 pm »
You do have a point there.

But, don't care about it. Yes, you can argue with it if you have been confronted with it, but they are not going to change their opinion, unless they want a serious discussion and misunderstood/thought differently about it. On the internet, it's different. They don't care at all.

The beautiful thing is, if you report them, they get muted/banned/etc. You don't have to argue back.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 03:52:36 pm »
+3
Looks pretty silly trying to prevent racism while accepting bigotry.  For the record, I'm not offended personally by either.  A quick search on this forum for "bundle of sticks" and it's 6 pages of results with 155 posts.  That's not including whatever derivative of "bundle of sticks" others would use.

I'm all in favor of being nice to all peoples across the board, seems a lot of people are excluding that segment of the population that same courtesy.

My .02

Bringing this point back up since it hasn't been addressed. I am genuinely curious why there is a zero tolerance policy on racism, but homophobia seems to be perfectly accepted. I have yet to see any admin or dev even so much as comment on it. As a member of a clan that is open to both homosexual and transgendered persons, it is sad to see the "authority" of the community completely ignore a group and the hate that gets thrown their way.
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »
+2
The beautiful thing is, if you report them, they get muted/banned/etc. You don't have to argue back.

If they are players who are just there to troll/insult people, yes.

If someone is being racist against someone else, just to show their opinion, that's different.

A example is: "Archers are my old friends/easy to play/unskilled"

That's their opinion, that's what they think. You can argue about it, they didn't say that to hurt you.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:54:50 pm by Polobow »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:56 pm »
+1

If someone is being racist against someone else, just to show their opinion, that's different.

No, I am pretty sure regardless of if they are doing it to troll, or if it is their valid opinion, they will still get the same mute/ban regardless, and either way you don't have to argue back.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spartan793

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Spartan
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »

A example is: "Archers are my old friends/easy to play/unskilled"

That's their opinion, that's what they think. You can argue about it, they didn't say that to hurt you.

Thats not racism, an archer is not a race

Offline Polobow

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »
I pretty much made an epic fail here. I was thinking about opinions/trolling in general, not in racism. :l

Racism should indeed be banned, since it's only there to hurt people.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 04:02:06 pm »
+2
Thats not racism, an archer is not a race
So far over your head you didn't even hear it fly by.

P.s. Calling people/things bundle of stickss, and other ways of insulting things is just as much against the rules as racism is.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Polobow

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »
So far over your head you didn't even hear it fly by.

P.s. Calling people/things bundle of stickss, and other ways of insulting things is just as much against the rules as racism is.

There is a difference between insulting people and saying your opinion, but most of the cases it are those 2 combined.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 04:16:16 pm »
There is a difference between insulting people and saying your opinion, but most of the cases it are those 2 combined.
What does it being an opinion have to do with this? What logic are you trying to say?
"I think you're a bundle of sticks." vs "You're a bundle of sticks."
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Polobow

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »
What does it being an opinion have to do with this? What logic are you trying to say?
"I think you're a bundle of sticks." vs "You're a bundle of sticks."

Nevermind about my argument. When you are in-game you never want to start a discussion anyways, so everytime it's just to hurt someone. In the forums it's different though. Mostly in the balancing, when people disagree in something. For example "Your a bundle of sticks if you think x weapons is under/over -powered". It's his opinion.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »
+1
lol, 4 pages already, trolls win. nice job guys.

Here is a short help for those of you who do not know how to interact with trolls.
When somebody says or does something offensive online, its often not because they believe or stand behind those things, its because they want a reaction.

Like a small child whose parents both work full time, they seek attention, be it negative or positive attention. By making a big deal out of it, you are in fact giving them that attention, even if they get warned and what not. And like that small child, they receive the attention and thus they believe that if they keep this up, they will continuously be rewarded with attention. Therefore, your best bet is just to ignore them and not feed the trolls. By making a big deal you are in fact feeding the trolls. This thread should sustain them for one or two hours alone.

By using the word attention 20 times, i hope i have made the point clear.

So now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:46:23 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Yugop

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »
+1
In this particular case, since it's obvious those guys are actually looking for a ban, they should be banned all right. I mean if they wanted to troll and get away with it, they would have been more sneaky. Not "lol we hate blackz lololol".

Offline Polobow

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »
(click to show/hide)

This is so true. People need to learn to avoid trolls. Just report immediatly without response.

Offline vinnytk

• Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA USA USA USA
  • Game nicks: USA_BARACK_OBAMA_AMERICA
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 04:51:51 pm »
I got on EU_3 yesterday and was called a "friend" :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 04:52:59 pm »
You only used attention six times not twenty... Liar.