Author Topic: Op Xbows!  (Read 15263 times)

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
Re: Op Xbows!
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2011, 12:43:01 pm »
+1
Try using something other than the langes messer and come back to this thread and apologise  :rolleyes:

-edit: Also, langes messer, 1 wpf, 5 PS, against a guy in mamluke mail and... hourglass gauntlets probably - 3-5 good hits. If you can't kill a guy with 5 PS and 1 wpf, then you probably just need to get better at melee, because the stats are quite enough for it.

In an equal playing field with equally skilled players, the crossbowman will lose in melee.  He has inferior proficiency, inferior weaponry and likely inferior Armour and Strength also. Which equates to significantly less damage, range, speed, and personal health.  This is inarguable. If however the crossbowman wins due to personal skill (or his opponent's ineptitude), then why is that a problem?  Surely skill should be rewarded, no?  Particularly when it overcomes such a handicap.

Or he could quit playing and take his BS to another place :)
I got 4 Ps, atm im going with the mace..5 or 6 hits to take down a heavy armored guy! 3-4 hits on a medium and 2 hits on a light armored dude!

It also depends on how u hit him...if ur using overheads more often u kill them faster!

My BS also includes a desire to rigorously buff your class.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:51:29 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
In an equal playing field with equally skilled players, the crossbowman will lose in melee.  He has inferior proficiency, inferior weaponry and likely inferior Armour and Strength also. Which equates to significantly less damage, range, speed, and personal health.  This is inarguable. If however the crossbowman wins due to personal skill (or his opponent's ineptitude), then why is that a problem?  Surely skill should be rewarded, no?  Particularly when it overcomes such a handicap.
Yeah, being EQUAL in melee would be the only thing that crossbowmen don't have right now.
Goddamnit, do you not get it? No other class has full ranged capability whilst also having VIABLE melee capability AND the option to disengage melee at will, most of the time.

My BS also includes a desire to rigorously buff your class.
Archers are well balanced right now (nice try at a "bribe", lol, at least you admit that something is at an imbalance here ;)). And, unlike crossbows, a dedicated archer can't really have 5 PS or high athlethics, whilst maintaining any sort of precision (which is still inferior to that of xbows). With 0-2 PS, an archer doesn't really stand much of a chance in melee at all.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:58:04 pm by [ptx] »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2011, 01:24:46 pm »
the 15/24 arbalest/mace build is just plain OP

1 wpf in 2h and I feel like I'm faster with the mace than with my MW bec on my pole char.
I have 5PS and played accordingly to this high agi I can have a 1/1 k/d only using my melee weapon. I'm pretty bad with the xbow but the reticule is amazingly small though I don't have any heirloomed item. And thanks to the high speed I always find cover or can run from too difficult melee fights. Hell, even on open field I can shoot at an archer, miss then chase him and likely kill him because tracking a 8 ath will-o-the-wisp is a nightmare for him.

Try it as STF before arguing it's balanced.

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:24 pm »
+1
Yeah, being EQUAL in melee would be the only thing that crossbowmen don't have right now.
Goddamnit, do you not get it? No other class has full ranged capability whilst also having VIABLE melee capability AND the option to disengage melee at will, most of the time.

I understand you seem to think that dedication to ranged should presuppose complete flipper-handed incompetence in melee.  That, when inevitably confronted in melee, I should have no chance to defend myself.  That, I should either flee, or accidentally cut off my own hands whilst wielding the sword back to front.

What I do not understand is why you desire a class to be unviable in melee in a game which is 85% melee.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:31:11 pm by MadJackMcMad »
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »
I don't know... maybe... BALANCE? You know, you make COMPROMISES in char builds, when making other classes?

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2011, 01:38:50 pm »
+1
I don't know... maybe... BALANCE? You know, you make COMPROMISES in char builds, when making other classes?

Like for ranged ability you sacrifice melee damage, range, speed and survivability?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »
I understand you seem to think that dedication to ranged should presuppose complete flipper-handed incompetence in melee.  That, when inevitably confronted in melee, I should have no chance to defend myself.  That, I should either flee, or accidentally cut off my own hands whilst wielding the sword back to front.

What I do not understand is why you desire a class to be unviable in melee in a game which is 85% melee.

Because melee classes are 100% unviable in ranged ?

Anyway, nerfing the melee capabilities of ranged classes isn't the way to go because it lead to running ranged, which is even worse
. Instead, I suggest that ranged weapons should loose effectiveness but ranged classes should be buffed in melee capacity accordingly to this ranged weapons nerf.

IMO throwers are OK now. Not very accurate but have very good melee options. Archers are OK but not in the good way. They have powerful ranged weapons but are completly crap in melee. If they want to stand a chance in melee, they have to gimp themselves ranged damage-wise. Bows should be slightly tweaked in a way that going no-melee as an archer would be suicidal, and melee capacity should be decent (less than throwers and xbows though). Finally, xbows should be between throwers and archers. Good melee and good ranged.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2011, 01:49:08 pm »
Disagree with the above. Archers, for example, are well balanced. If they want to be accurate, they have to be 100% dedicated to archery, which means they have at most 2 or 3 (i don't remember exactly) skill points to put into either athlethics or PS, which still doesn't make them either good kiters or actually viable in melee.

My solution would be to either up the str requirements of xbows, so as to reduce the maximum agility (and thus athlethics) that you can reach with it, at least without taking away skillpoints from PS, and/or drastically increasing the weight of xbows, to reduce their running speed.

Still, not a full solution, i guess, but probably the best we have without WSE.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:54:36 pm by [ptx] »

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2011, 02:43:42 pm »
Wut ptx? Unless you go for an insane amount of pd, most archers go for 6+athletics.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »
6 PD, 8 WM? 7 WM is no accuracy with the top tier bows...

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2011, 02:48:56 pm »
6 PD, 8 WM? 7 WM is no accuracy with the top tier bows...
This is the standard archer build atm, my clan leader amongst others has no problems at all with accuracy:
(click to show/hide)
Don't mind the fish.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2011, 02:55:38 pm »
If by accuracy you mean shotgunning in sieges as defender or firing into large groups of enemies, rather than hitting a single target at medium range more than half the time.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2011, 03:04:18 pm »
Relating to the posts on the past page or so: Archers can be perfectly viable in melee while still doing damage at range. 18/18 build is very solid from my experience with it for two generations, using MW Tatar Bow and +1-2 Tatar Arrows, 6pd/ath/ps/wm, all wpp into archery, using no prof Iberian Mace. A fairly large amount of my kills were from melee. I couldn't take down plate very well from a distance, but that's what the ps+blunt was for, and light to high medium armor still dropped in a few arrows.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »
If by accuracy you mean shotgunning in sieges as defender or firing into large groups of enemies, rather than hitting a single target at medium range more than half the time.
They have (over) 160 wpf, that's more than enough for a light armour archer. Not to mention that that long range isn't even possible anymore with archery anymore. As I stated before, crossbows are now the snipers.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2011, 03:57:24 pm »
Tatar bow and +1 tatar arrows? Welcome to the «Shoot the peasant only» club.