Author Topic: Balance with Rock<Paper<Scissors in theory  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Balance with Rock<Paper<Scissors in theory
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Crushthrough maulers are pretty good at killing most shielders, if you know how to foot work

Good point, although I don't think a low-skill mauler has much of a chance against a medium-skill shielder. Shielder will just dodge overheads. So even a mauler doesn't get an effective "+1" to their skill level against shielders. Compare that to Pikeman vs. Cavalry; any pikeman with at least one finger and a set of computer speakers (to hear approaching hooves) should own even the best cavalry.

To a 2H/pole user, archers are their kryptonite. The archer can just kite until they win, even if they don't have skill or looms or whatever.
A low-skill shielder at the very least won't die to a med+ skill archer.

I just want shielders to have some class that can consistently own them (regardless of skill discrepancy) like the other classes have. Someone said that is cavalry, and maybe they are right. However, I only play siege, and cavalry are very rare there. I don't think shielders fear "bonus vs. shield" weapon users, since they typically only have to block once or twice against these unbalanced weapons anyway.

I'd like to see EVERY bonus vs shield weapon become unbalanced, but for the "bonus vs. shield" attribute to be buffed. My suggestion is a chance for a brief 'stagger' effect after a successful block; not long enough to enable a free hit, but long enough to prevent a counter-attack, and to open up the shielder to an attack by a teammate. I'd even trade the damage bonus vs. shields for this.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:07:47 pm by Phew »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 07:22:30 pm »
In my experience, i don't have the room to dodge crushthrough weapons on siege :/
They are an effective counter to shielders in my opinion for siege mode.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »
IMO once you become skilled in manual blocking, every scrub looks the same. Shield scrubs like to attack when i stun their shield/ fall for holds, 2h and polearms fall for feigns and holds, and cav runs straight into my pike.

Against a good shielder, i eat up their shield in a few hits, however scrubs in numbers are quite scary, and hilarious when they team kill  :lol:

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »
OK, noted, crushthrough does seem more effective in siege. So are shields in general though, since the winning team is usually the one with the most/best shielders (shielders are the best for capturing and defending flags). So I'd say that balances out.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 08:52:49 pm »
IMO once you become skilled in manual blocking, every scrub looks the same. Shield scrubs like to attack when i stun their shield/ fall for holds, 2h and polearms fall for feigns and holds, and cav runs straight into my pike.

Against a good shielder, i eat up their shield in a few hits, however scrubs in numbers are quite scary, and hilarious when they team kill  :lol:

That's the best part of this game, that teamwork skills>blocking skills. Otherwise, everyone but the 50 or so 'l33t blockers' would just quit.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 06:45:30 am »
OK, noted, crushthrough does seem more effective in siege. So are shields in general though, since the winning team is usually the one with the most/best shielders (shielders are the best for capturing and defending flags). So I'd say that balances out.

Thats because for some reason walking indoors in calradia gives you a massive speed nerf.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
But the devs ARE trying to balance based on realism. They've got this youtube video they reference and everything man!
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:25 pm »
That's the best part of this game, that teamwork skills>blocking skills. Otherwise, everyone but the 50 or so 'l33t blockers' would just quit.

it is true, hell the highlight of my day is killing a ball of seige scrubs to boost my e-peen.  But a lot of the time the scrubs get the better of me and i GTX.